Studying Buddha's Dharma, not being a 'Buddhist'

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
Simon E.

Re: Studying Buddha's Dharma, not being a 'Buddhist'

Post by Simon E. »

A story from Ajahn Chah.
Once there was a monkey who decided that he was going to be more compassionate. He decided that he would dedicate his life to helping others in his part of the forest.
The next day he set out looking for those who needed help.
He came across a forest pool.
Looking into the pool he saw a fish, overwhelmed with compassion he plunged into the pool, picked the fish up gently and wedged it into the branch of a tree to save it from drowning.
He then went on his way looking for more chances to be helpful.
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
Jeff H

Post by Jeff H »

I freely declare that I, too, have no standing in Buddhism to preach or correct. But by observing and sharing at my level I deepen my own understanding in concert with others, even within strong disagreement. I believe this has been a useful and genial discussion, regardless of its origin.

Simon, I think your complaints provide a foil and illustration of HHDL’s primary point in the video, which I take to be: Global warming will bring more disasters. Increasing population will bring more disasters. The fact that animosity between and within religions also brings more disaster is unthinkable! Each should use their own teachings to achieve peace of mind, loving compassion, and mutual respect for all. This can lead to the reduction and remediation of all the other disasters.
Where now is my mind engaged? - Shantideva
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

Simon E. wrote: He then went on his way looking for more chances to be helpful.
I've been that monkey.

I originally heard it said about the American involvement in Viet Nam, but it rings true in many situations; the worst damage is done by well intentioned people that don't understand what they are doing.
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

We have probably all been that monkey scmj. No one gets out of here 'unhelped' :smile:

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Jeff H wrote:I freely declare that I, too, have no standing in Buddhism to preach or correct. But by observing and sharing at my level I deepen my own understanding in concert with others, even within strong disagreement. I believe this has been a useful and genial discussion, regardless of its origin.

Simon, I think your complaints provide a foil and illustration of HHDL’s primary point in the video, which I take to be: Global warming will bring more disasters. Increasing population will bring more disasters. The fact that animosity between and within religions also brings more disaster is unthinkable! Each should use their own teachings to achieve peace of mind, loving compassion, and mutual respect for all. This can lead to the reduction and remediation of all the other disasters.

There is no contradiction between respecting all religions and seeing that in our short precious human birth we can only practice one to completion.

Schrödinger’s Yidam

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

Simon E. wrote:We have probably all been that monkey scmj. No one gets out of here 'unhelped' :smile:
Here's another monkey in the jungle story that seems to have a buddhist theme.

When I was in elementary school I heard about a certain kind of monkey in Brazil that they trapped with a glass jar and some nuts. They would secure the glass jar to the ground and fill it with large nuts. The neck of the jar was just big enough for them to put the nuts into it. Then a monkey would come by and reach in to grab the nuts but could not pull its hand out of the jar without letting go of the nuts as the neck was too small. Even as the monkey saw the humans coming to kill it and panicked, it wouldn't let go of the nuts. It was so attached to what it wanted it caused its own death.

I was just a kid when I heard that, and I have no way to source it as true, but it stuck with me all these years.
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
Jeff H

Post by Jeff H »

Simon E. wrote:There is no contradiction between respecting all religions and seeing that in our short precious human birth we can only practice one to completion.
I agree completely.
:cheers:
Jeff H

Post by Jeff H »

smcj wrote:
Simon E. wrote:We have probably all been that monkey scmj. No one gets out of here 'unhelped' :smile:
Here's another monkey in the jungle story that seems to have a buddhist theme.

When I was in elementary school I heard about a certain kind of monkey in Brazil that they trapped with a glass jar and some nuts. They would secure the glass jar to the ground and fill it with large nuts. The neck of the jar was just big enough for them to put the nuts into it. Then a monkey would come by and reach in to grab the nuts but could not pull its hand out of the jar without letting go of the nuts as the neck was too small. Even as the monkey saw the humans coming to kill it and panicked, it wouldn't let go of the nuts. It was so attached to what it wanted it caused its own death.

I was just a kid when I heard that, and I have no way to source it as true, but it stuck with me all these years.
I remember hearing that as a kid, too, and it also made a lasting impression. It took many, many, many years before I found Buddhism that tries to teach me to let go before it's too late!
phpBB [video]
muni

Post by muni »

I made this example of buddha dharma and buddhist up, because we can have sometimes a strong emphasis on one who study “Buddha Dharma”. Then I thought it is clear that one person who knows the teachings, is not actually the meaning of the Buddha. This regarding "Buddhist" or "follower" of the Buddha. See Diamond Sutra.

Ist-ism. I try to understand the concern. Ha. We can maybe speak another language? But I do not think samsara is gone by rejection. Language is conventional and depends on mind. When mind and object word are empty ( as practice) then what? How an object can have any other effects than by own mind when then that object is an attraction with positive or negative meaning for our mind? The object has no any further meaning by and on 'itself'.

I am sharing here. O O :namaste:
tomschwarz

Post by tomschwarz »

Simon E. wrote:I am not your 'old friend' we are just two guys exchanging views on an online website.
OK old friend from beginningless time ))) don't be upset by that Simon, this is Buddha's Dharma! The idea that we are old friends is just the tip of the iceberg. Surely you know, with countless previous lives, we, you and I, have had all permutations of relationship. For example, you dear Simon have been my mother, my daughter, my son, my father, etc... So when I use that phrase, I am simply reminding myself of the reality of our lives (relative truth).

One idea about your negative feelings, try imagining that I am your teacher. That is what I do with all people particularly when I feel upset inside. I imagine that they are his holiness the great tibetan monk and dalai lama, the monk with truly magnificent fearlessness and love. Then I care for them as I care for his holiness the dalai lama, I let them emanate their Buddha nature to help them, to help me, rise into that love and affection that I strive to practice always for all sentient beings. Of course you know this practice, it can be considered part of the greater tonglen practice.
i dedicate this post to your happiness, the causes of your happiness, the absence of your suffering the causes of the absence of your suffering that we may not have too much attachment nor aversion. SAMAYAMANUPALAYA
Tiago Simões

Post by Tiago Simões »

tomschwarz wrote:" try imagining that I am your teacher. "
My gym teacher?
Last edited by Ayu on Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed quote.
muni

Post by muni »

:namaste:
I jump as a monkey here inside. Now by all this a contemplation is unfolding. Is the mentioned Tonglen to see the impossibility of a self since all is interdependent? Then how is it possible? Or is it without this question just opening the mind-heart, open the invisible door of self-prisoning, releasing all tension of self-protection?
When I am at ease, I do not perceive others, I guess that is by all of us the same. When something seems to pull attention to, or to hit, directly there is a self-experience perceiving an(other). ( an(other) = someone or something outside our mind and so separate from us, someone to compare with us) Seeing the open free interconnectedness, releases the tension in our stomach. Then the sun is allowed to come up without someone need to do that.

Let's not accept to be a victim of emotional and cognitive obscuration. Should say: lets’ rebel!! :jedi: Since those are our only enemies, there are for shit no any other!
Obscuring emotions and wrong actions
Cause sufferings to fall upon us like rain.
Rope-snake: http://contemplatingreality.org/images/ ... ess101.pdf
muni

Post by muni »

tiagolps wrote:
My gym teacher?
No that's me. Start to run till you pass the top of your nose.

:alien:
Tiago Simões

Post by Tiago Simões »

muni wrote:
tiagolps wrote:
My gym teacher?
No that's me. Start to run till you pass the top of your nose.

:alien:
No thanks, I prefer a long slow walk :tongue:
boda

Post by boda »

Simon wrote:In brief, Buddhism and Buddhist are modern western constructs. Its the 'ism' and the 'ist' that are the problem.
The ability to distinguish secular/sacred can be a problem for those who don't understand or know how to deal with this ability.
tomschwarz

Post by tomschwarz »

Yes Muni it is just as you say it is. I will rebel against the inclination to maintain that territory. I promise you dear old friend.
i dedicate this post to your happiness, the causes of your happiness, the absence of your suffering the causes of the absence of your suffering that we may not have too much attachment nor aversion. SAMAYAMANUPALAYA

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”