Jhanas and Siddhis

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
Tirisilex

Jhanas and Siddhis

Post by Tirisilex »

I'm researching the Jhanas and Siddhis and I'm trying to understand which Siddhis arise for which Jhanas. I know that Siddhis begin to arise in the 4th Jhana but I dont know what kind of siddhi arises and which siddhis arise in the subsequent Jhanas. I'm asking about this for 2 reasons. One so I have the knowledge.. and 2 I purchased a Roleplaying Game called TIBET and it is a game where you can play Buddhists. I have found a lot of problems in this game like for example according to the game you get Siddhis by gaining Karma but this is wrong it is by attaining Jhanas. So I'm trying to figure out what siddhis arise with what Jhanas anyone have any advice?
maybay

Re: Jhanas and Siddhis

Post by maybay »

It depends on the object of concentration. If you meditate on earth element then the siddhi of moving through walls is likely. Did you check the kosa?
People will know nothing and everything
Remember nothing and everything
Think nothing and everything
Do nothing and everything
- Machig Labdron
Tirisilex

Post by Tirisilex »

The Kosa? I'll google it..

All I know so far is that you start to get Siddhis by the 4th Jhana but it doesnt say what Siddhis.
maybay

Post by maybay »

The Abhidharmakosa. It's not like there are X number of siddhis that you can achieve. There are more siddhis than X-men. You might be confusing with the 6 abhijna, of which siddhis are one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abhij%C3%B1%C4%81
People will know nothing and everything
Remember nothing and everything
Think nothing and everything
Do nothing and everything
- Machig Labdron

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”