Living near an old war zone. Bad spirits?

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
Boomerang

Living near an old war zone. Bad spirits?

Post by Boomerang »

I live across the street from a place where 223 people were killed in battle in the 1700's. Twice a year the local residents perform a public reenactment of the battle. Sometimes I wonder, living near an area where so many murders happened, and then having those painful memories ceremonially relived bi-annually at the same place, are I and my neighbors at risk for harmful spirits? Is there something I should do to protect myself? Do the spirits here need help?

I walked through the area once and recited some sutra verses under my breath. I don't know what I was doing.
Ayu
Global Moderator

Re: Living near an old war zone. Bad spirits?

Post by Ayu »

If I lived there, I would feel affected and I would try to improve the vibrations.
It is not pertinent to the solution, if the disturbances are factual outer obstacles or "only" inner processes. Inside and outside, everything is impermanent but still effective.

I would dedicate my practice for the healing of the situation there. Maybe I would invite some Chod practitioners or do a demon-feeding-medtation. I would ask the Buddhas and Bodhisattvas for their support.

But I wouldn't move from that place, rather I'd take the situation as a challenge or assignment. The situation must be changeable, since everything is impermanent, especially vibrations.
amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

I think there have been multiple murders and births on every inch of land.One who is confident in practice have no worries.
Last edited by Ayu on Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Helped out by removing the self-quote.
AlexMcLeod

Post by AlexMcLeod »

In general, as long as you aren't practicing energy cultivation, and it's not an actual graveyard, you should be fine. Ghosts can not harm and only be harmed by humans in most cases.

If there are ghosts around, it's best to not practice energy arts. They can severely injure a ghost, which is bad for your cultivation in the long term. If you practice energy arts, I suggest you move if you suspect a large number ghosts in the area.
Relax! Smile From The Heart!
There is a difference between the Mundane and the Transcendental. If you purposefully confuse them, I will ignore you, you nihilist.
There is no Emotion, there is Peace. There is no Ignorance, there is Knowledge. There is no Passion, there is Serenity. There is no Death, there is the Force.
Boomerang

Post by Boomerang »

AlexMcLeod wrote:In general, as long as you aren't practicing energy cultivation, and it's not an actual graveyard, you should be fine. Ghosts can not harm and only be harmed by humans in most cases.

If there are ghosts around, it's best to not practice energy arts. They can severely injure a ghost, which is bad for your cultivation in the long term. If you practice energy arts, I suggest you move if you suspect a large number ghosts in the area.
Do you mean pretas, or devas?

What energy arts are you talking about? I always thought practicing dharma benefitted the beings in the area.
AlexMcLeod

Post by AlexMcLeod »

Boomerang wrote:Do you mean pretas, or devas?

What energy arts are you talking about? I always thought practicing dharma benefitted the beings in the area.
Preta. Hungry ghosts. Dharma will normally be helpful, but the specific act of cultivating the body's energy strengthens it, and human energy is experienced as turbulent storms in the realm of hungry ghosts. So, sutra and mantra recitation okay, qigong and yoga will likely harm them.
There is a difference between the Mundane and the Transcendental. If you purposefully confuse them, I will ignore you, you nihilist.
There is no Emotion, there is Peace. There is no Ignorance, there is Knowledge. There is no Passion, there is Serenity. There is no Death, there is the Force.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

It will toughen you up. Don't take the nightmares too seriously. I remember some from the army sleeping on a spot where somebody had been killed by a grenade. Wow, very intense. Think of it as an echo or memory and don't hold on. Your body will be trying to convince you otherwise.

I would not recommend it for your forever home. Places tend to repeat their past.
tomschwarz

Post by tomschwarz »

This is not Buddhism. In Buddhism we do not associate any kind of long lived spirit with some old bones. Am I wrong? Dharma references? Otherwise please consider moving thread to an atman- oriented religion forum.
i dedicate this post to your happiness, the causes of your happiness, the absence of your suffering the causes of the absence of your suffering that we may not have too much attachment nor aversion. SAMAYAMANUPALAYA
tomschwarz

Post by tomschwarz »

In Buddhism we believe in countless former lives. Imagine how many times you died exactly where you are standing now :geek: if that makes you feel "vibed out" )))) try samadhi in Buddhism we are interested in the nature of the mind... ...emotions like this or that vibe, not so much. There something like tolerance patience and discipline are considered with a goal of quietting the mind are considered. Then you get some real peace! And no more "me". Thank goodness....
i dedicate this post to your happiness, the causes of your happiness, the absence of your suffering the causes of the absence of your suffering that we may not have too much attachment nor aversion. SAMAYAMANUPALAYA
sillyrabbit

Post by sillyrabbit »

Murders have happened in my old and current neighborhoods in recent memory...

Dharma practice like Medicine Buddha mantras, mani mantras, Amitabha mantras, etc help the environment of wherever they are practiced.

But I agree with amanitamusc, there isn't really a place where someone hasn't died under stressful circumstances. Where are there not pretas?
Namo Amitabha Buddha
:hug:
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

sillyrabbit wrote:Murders have happened in my old and current neighborhoods in recent memory...

Dharma practice like Medicine Buddha mantras, mani mantras, Amitabha mantras, etc help the environment of wherever they are practiced.

But I agree with amanitamusc, there isn't really a place where someone hasn't died under stressful circumstances. Where are there not pretas?
I work with murderers every day... I tend to say the Vajra Guru mantra in my mind while working.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
AlexMcLeod

Post by AlexMcLeod »

sillyrabbit wrote:But I agree with amanitamusc, there isn't really a place where someone hasn't died under stressful circumstances. Where are there not pretas?
That may be true, but they tend to gather in certain areas, which shift in the same manner as humans do. It's best to just be mindful of areas where lots of them gather, and not do things that are harmful to them in such places. Just as one should be mindful of areas where lots of insects gather on the ground so as to limit the number you tread upon.

If you feel benevolent, do the beneficial practices that will translate correctly into their realm.
Sherab Dorje wrote:I work with murderers every day...
Oh, you work for the U.S. government as well? :jumping:
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

AlexMcLeod wrote:Oh, you work for the U.S. government as well? :jumping:
Nope.

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
ClearblueSky

Post by ClearblueSky »

AlexMcLeod wrote:In general, as long as you aren't practicing energy cultivation, and it's not an actual graveyard, you should be fine. Ghosts can not harm and only be harmed by humans in most cases.
That is certainly not considered true in Tibetan Buddhism, where things like gyalpo and others of the preta realm can actually be quite harmful. If that is the case there are certain amulets and things, if you feel you need additional help.
But bottom line, unless you're having some specific problem that you think may be caused by this area, I wouldn't worry about it. Your practice will benefit the area, and reciting sutras like you did is an especially good way to do that. Tonglen might also be nice to do, if that is a practice of yours.
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

ClearblueSky wrote:
That is certainly not considered true in Tibetan Buddhism, where things like gyalpo and others of the preta realm can actually be quite harmful. If that is the case there are certain amulets and things, if you feel you need additional help.
But bottom line, unless you're having some specific problem that you think may be caused by this area, I wouldn't worry about it. Your practice will benefit the area, and reciting sutras like you did is an especially good way to do that. Tonglen might also be nice to do, if that is a practice of yours.
I'm not sure: are you talking about the same kind of spirits? Are the supposed ghosts of people who had bad luck on a battlefield the same as pretas and gyalpos? Is there any difference between Christian supposed ghosts and Buddhist supposed bad spirits?
And those obstacle-creating spirtits, that are brushed off before an empowerment - what kind of bad spirits are those?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Ayu wrote: And those obstacle-creating spirtits, that are brushed off before an empowerment - what kind of bad spirits are those?
Concepts.
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Malcolm wrote:
Ayu wrote: And those obstacle-creating spirtits, that are brushed off before an empowerment - what kind of bad spirits are those?
Concepts.
Thanks.
My question wasn't precise enough: In an empowerment there are so-called "inner" and "outer obstacles" being brushed off. Probably concepts are inner hindrances, right? I meant: what kind of fellows are those outer obstacles?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Ayu wrote:
Malcolm wrote:
Concepts.
Thanks.
My question wasn't precise enough: In an empowerment there are so-called "inner" and "outer obstacles" being brushed off. Probably concepts are inner hindrances, right? I meant: what kind of fellows are those outer obstacles?
Outer obstacles are appearance generated by one's karma, which is in turn created by afflictive concepts. Inner obstacles are concepts themselves.
White Lotus

Post by White Lotus »

concepts/words point. some towards and some away from direct perception of emptiness. words are empty too. all is empty.
in any matters of importance. dont rely on me. i may not know what i am talking about. take what i say as mere speculation. i am not ordained. nor do i have a formal training. i do believe though that if i am wrong on any point. there are those on this site who i hope will quickly point out my mistakes.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

White Lotus wrote:concepts/words point. some towards and some away from direct perception of emptiness. words are empty too. all is empty.
Even emptiness is empty, but it is because things are empty that karma arises.

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”