Question about processes

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Re: Question about processes

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

rachmiel wrote:Okay, by process I mean a sequence of causally related events. The sound that begins at the strike of a gong and ends when the sound waves fade into silence. Processes require duration, they only exist over a period of time.

Your turn: What do you mean by thing?
What phenomena exist outside of time? What phenomena are observable relatively as being without duration?

I meant "thing" pretty generically, because I'm trying to demonstrate (however ineptly) that the question seems to rely on questionable premises.

Such as, thinking there are phenomena that are "processes" somehow discrete from other phenomena. I challenge you to explain how exactly your above definition (existing in time, requiring some relative "duration") fits one category of phenomena, and not another.

The point is, you cannot answer this question if you insist the phenomena can be divided like that in anything but the most relative sense. "process" is a conceptual label you can't even accurately define as unique if you pull it apart.

You are just describing dharmas, of a sort - which again pretty much directly addressed by Prajnaparamita literature, sutras etc. Their nature is emptiness, and ultimately there cannot be found an existent "process" any more than any other phenomena.

There's no arising nor cessation, much less "processes" with some unique marker.

Here are some possible components of your sound example:

Gong - and whatever component parts make up the gong, including temporal stuff - when they were produced etc.

the Hearer and sense perception of sound, and all the myriad causes that go into the hearer being there to hear the gong

the physical vibration and it's causal factors, again including how it came to be relatively in time

You could of course break each one down indefinitely, but which of these exist without a duration? What can you find that is unique in parts like these that indicates a "process" discrete from other phenomena, give your definition of process?
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
muni

Post by muni »

“We are each living in our own soap opera. We do not see things as they really are. We see only our interpretations. This is because our minds are always so busy...But when the mind calms down, it becomes clear. This mental clarity enables us to see things as they really are, instead of projecting our commentary on everything.” Jetsunma Tenzin Palmo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bg9jOYnEUA
Rick

Post by Rick »

JD, I asked you to define "thing" because I was wondering if you were using it in the classic sense of substance/process division:

Substance (thing) = standalone entity = stationary domino
Process = interdependent entities = sequence of dominoes knocking over other dominoes

But, from your description, I see you are thinking of a thing as a process and rejecting the possibility of standalone substances altogether. Which is the right Buddhist view: dependent arising, no inherent existents.

If you believe the Buddhist view is unconditionally true, 100% nails it, then it probably doesn't make all that much sense to continue the conversation … I suspect it would become you trying to convince me of something and me trying to find loopholes in your arguments. (Or vice-versa.) Been there, done that! ;-)

Instead, I'm interested in including other, non-Buddhist approaches in the exploration. I know this is not what I set out to do in the OP, where I said "Madhyamaka'lly correct." (That's why I asked if the thread should be moved to a less specifically Buddhist forum.) But at this point I'd like to open the discussion to other views, if that's cool with DW?
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...
Rick

Post by Rick »

Nice video, thanks. (Love this guy, he's gushing with playfulness and life!)

What I get from this is that we perceive discrete moments (each "after" the fact) that our brains boondoggle into a continuous-appearing stream, like it does with individual frames in a movie. So, continuity is a creative act of the brain. Sound right?

What I'm wondering about is whether there is continuity in nature/reality itself? In other words, is nature:

1. A set of discrete movie frames (moments)?
2. A continuous flow that our brain, due to its limitations, "samples" as discrete frames and then, later, smooths into faux-flow?

This is related of course to the question of whether processes exist in nature (independent of mind).
White Lotus

Post by White Lotus »

My take is that there is neither a mind nor no mind. Neither dependence nor independence. Sunyata sunyata. Neither a process nor its abscence. Thus.
in any matters of importance. dont rely on me. i may not know what i am talking about. take what i say as mere speculation. i am not ordained. nor do i have a formal training. i do believe though that if i am wrong on any point. there are those on this site who i hope will quickly point out my mistakes.
Rick

Post by Rick »

Wayfarer wrote:
Rachmiel wrote:How can anyone know or verify that *anything* exists outside their immediate experience?
By being wrong about something. Running into a wall you didn't expect, performing an experiment that produces a result opposite to what you're theory predicted. Countless ways, really.
Could you prove/disprove the existence of something that was not observed by a mind?

Would taking a film of an isolated-from-human-minds plant from birth to death -- sprouting, growing, flowering, withering -- and then playing it back to human minds prove the existence of the plant's life cycle process?
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

rachmiel wrote:
Wayfarer wrote:
Rachmiel wrote:How can anyone know or verify that *anything* exists outside their immediate experience?
By being wrong about something. Running into a wall you didn't expect, performing an experiment that produces a result opposite to what you're theory predicted. Countless ways, really.
Could you prove/disprove the existence of something that was not observed by a mind?

Would taking a film of an isolated-from-human-minds plant from birth to death -- sprouting, growing, flowering, withering -- and then playing it back to human minds prove the existence of the plant's life cycle process?
Only relatively speaking, because the very process of watching a plant grow, preparing the test etc. does not happen independent of an observing mind, nothing does.

As to the process/thing question, it really is not about whether or not one accepts or rejects a certain view, but about whether or not your division between a substance and process holds up under scrutiny or analysis, and it does not. If it doesn't hold up under analysis, on what do you base the division between substance and process, feeling or intuition that it is correct?
Substance (thing) = standalone entity = stationary domino
Such a division doesn't fit into the kind of analysis your OP is about, there are no such thing as "standalone entities" of any kind, and they are impossible to find through analysis. All observable phenomena are of the "domino" variety, I challenge you to describe something that exists as a standalone entity.
I suspect it would become you trying to convince me of something and me trying to find loopholes in your arguments.
Again, I'm challenging you to prove the premise of your argument, and describe a standalone entity. In the words you've used here, describe something that isn't a process..

If you can't, the whole line of questioning is pretty much moot, isn't it?

-Khunu Lama
Wayfarer
Former staff member

Post by Wayfarer »

rachmiel wrote:Could you prove/disprove the existence of something that was not observed by a mind?
There's a curious role-reversal going on here. On the philosophy forum I post to many of the contributors are scientific realists, as are many people in the secular West. Their basic assumption is that the Universe exists regardless of whether anyone is observing it or not. It is, after all, a common-sense attitude - we know that the earth existed for billions of years before h. sapiens came along, and so on.

In that forum, I argue against this idea quoting the following passage:
'Everyone knows that the earth, and so the universe, existed for a long time before there were any living beings, and therefore any perceiving subjects. But according to Kant ... that is impossible.'

Schopenhauer's defense of Kant on this score was twofold. First, the objector has not understood to the very bottom the Kantian demonstration that time is one of the forms of our sensibility. The earth, say, as it was before there was life, is a field of empirical inquiry in which we have come to know a great deal; its reality is no more being denied than is the reality of perceived objects in the same room.

The point is, the whole of the empirical world in space and time is the creation of our understanding, which apprehends all the objects of empirical knowledge within it as being in some part of that space and at some part of that time: and this is as true of the earth before there was life as it is of the pen I am now holding a few inches in front of my face and seeing slightly out of focus as it moves across the paper.

This, incidentally, illustrates a difficulty in the way of understanding which transcendental idealism has permanently to contend with: the assumptions of 'the inborn realism which arises from the original disposition of the intellect' enter unawares into the way in which the statements of transcendental idealism are understood.

Such realistic assumptions so pervade our normal use of concepts that the claims of transcendental idealism disclose their own non-absurdity only after difficult consideration, whereas criticisms of them at first appear cogent which on examination are seen to rest on confusion. We have to raise almost impossibly deep levels of presupposition in our own thinking and imagination to the level of self-consciousness before we are able to achieve a critical awareness of all our realistic assumptions, and thus achieve an understanding of transcendental idealism which is untainted by them.
That is from Bryan Magee's book on Schopenhauer. (There's an appendix in that book comparing Schopenhauer with Buddhism and Vedanta, and it's well-known that Schopenhauer viewed his philosophy as convergent with them in this regard.)

Almost nobody gets that point when I make it on philosophy forum. And that's because most of them have imbibed scientific realism with their mother's milk. They're so wedded to a realist attitude that they can't begin to question it - not without some kind of major gestalt-shift or enlightenment experience of their own. (Magee notes just after that passage that attaining insight into these kinds of ideas through Eastern philosophy generally takes years of study and discipline.)

But the curious thing is, there's almost an opposite attitude on this Forum. Here, the reality of the world is frequently dismissed, usually with an appropriate aphorism from Nagarjuna, as though 'everyone knows' that the world is simply 'empty appearance' and insubstantial. And that bothers me for the opposite reason - I actually happen to think that through science, many things have been discovered which really were unknown to the ancients, regardless of their perceptiveness.

That's why the 'two truths' doctrine makes so much sense to me. It says there are conventional truths, conventional realities, which are consistent and coherent in their own terms, even if they're ultimately empty. It may be a magic show, but there are more and less skilled magicians, if you like.
'Only practice with no gaining idea' ~ Suzuki Roshi
Matt J

Post by Matt J »

Well, keep in mind it is impossible to otherwise transmit countless hours of painstaking experiential research, meditation, and daily practice in a public internet post. The difference between your average western philosopher and Buddhist practitioner is a lot of direct experiential work--- not just reading and thinking. Granted, many don't do the work, but many do.
Wayfarer wrote:
But the curious thing is, there's almost an opposite attitude on this Forum. Here, the reality of the world is frequently dismissed, usually with an appropriate aphorism from Nagarjuna, as though 'everyone knows' that the world is simply 'empty appearance' and insubstantial. And that bothers me for the opposite reason - I actually happen to think that through science, many things have been discovered which really were unknown to the ancients, regardless of their perceptiveness.

That's why the 'two truths' doctrine makes so much sense to me. It says there are conventional truths, conventional realities, which are consistent and coherent in their own terms, even if they're ultimately empty. It may be a magic show, but there are more and less skilled magicians, if you like.
"The world is made of stories, not atoms."
--- Muriel Rukeyser
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

It's a Buddhist forum, of course most people here see things that way.

As Matt says though, it is one thing to intellectually understand emptiness, and another to have an experience of it, the intellectual part is useful only inasmuch as it informs practice for me.

The OP was about (presumably) the ultimate nature of "processes", not some conventional designation, and my point was that the very idea that there are such things as discrete processes does not fit with the question asked, just my take, but that's how it seems.

-Khunu Lama
Rick

Post by Rick »

Digesting, contemplating ... will respond soon.

I come at this exploration of the nature of processes like I come at most explorations: from naive(ish) unknowing, from gut feel and my own modest powers of reasoning ... so there's a lot for me to ponder before I formulate/share my take.

Little did I know that what was for me such an innocent and simple question -- Do processes exist only as creations of mind or independently of mind? -- would open such a can of philosophical worms! (See: naive.)
Wayfarer
Former staff member

Post by Wayfarer »

It's not a naive question at all but a deep issue. I'm sure someone here has mentioned this before but do google the article What Is and Isn't Yogacara by Dan Lusthaus, it makes many relevant points for this issue. (I've published a PDF version of it here for my dharma studies group.)
'Only practice with no gaining idea' ~ Suzuki Roshi
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

I don't think it's naive, it's an interesting conversation. I was saying only that the original question makes some assumption about the ontological state of "processes" as some unique thing. Really before covering any of the other stuff, if you can't answer the question about "standalone entities" as opposed to processes, then there is no way to answer any of the more complex questions here, is there?

I mean before even worrying about the mind-only stuff, it'd be helpful to suss out what you think a process actually is, and so far that part is murky.

-Khunu Lama
White Lotus

Post by White Lotus »

I think perhaps someone who has become 1, like the Buddha is neither subject to nor beyond processes. We know Buddha is 1 because of the single point on his forehead: the Urna. The Urna is a symbol of his oneness. As 1 he is absolutely independent, but perhaps conventionally dependent on food etc.
in any matters of importance. dont rely on me. i may not know what i am talking about. take what i say as mere speculation. i am not ordained. nor do i have a formal training. i do believe though that if i am wrong on any point. there are those on this site who i hope will quickly point out my mistakes.
Astus
Former staff member

Post by Astus »

rachmiel wrote:Does *any* process exist independently of mind? Or are all processes -- entities that exist over a period of time rather than in the present moment -- products of human memory/thought connecting dots that aren't connected independently of mind?

I guess this gets into the notion of continuity: Is anything continuous? Does anything flow? Or is continuity/flow an attribute mind *adds* to actuality? Is reality like a movie: discontinuous frames that appear to run together: this this this this this this? If it is always nothing other than one endless this (now) ... then how can anything actually change, evolve, grow, decay independently of a mind that is imputing these qualities to it?
It is good to know a bit of abhidharma first of all, as that defines a number of basic elements of Buddhist teachings. The two relevant concepts here are dharma and moment (kshana). Dharmas are what everything is made of, that is, the seeming reality are all the things and events, while the true reality is only dharmas. One of the elements of the seeming reality is permanence, where something appears to endure for consecutive moments. Therefore, the existence of continuity, of processes, is acceptable only as a worldly view, a mistaken perception of deluded beings. And when we get to Madhyamaka, even the momentary coming and going of dharmas is considered illusory.
1 Myriad dharmas are only mind.
Mind is unobtainable.
What is there to seek?

2 If the Buddha-Nature is seen,
there will be no seeing of a nature in any thing.

3 Neither cultivation nor seated meditation —
this is the pure Chan of Tathagata.

4 With sudden enlightenment to Tathagata Chan,
the six paramitas and myriad means
are complete within that essence.

1 Huangbo, T2012Ap381c1 2 Nirvana Sutra, T374p521b3; tr. Yamamoto 3 Mazu, X1321p3b23; tr. J. Jia 4 Yongjia, T2014p395c14; tr. from "The Sword of Wisdom"
White Lotus

Post by White Lotus »

Under analysis/splitting down the word "process" becomes empty of meaning. Perhaps we have to simplify rather than complicate and just say that a process is just a process. Irritatingly circular to some, but conventionally understood if kept simple. From the enlightened perspective there is no process, but conventionally we have to say there is. What is the simplest dictionary definition? That will suffice. Forgive my foolishness.
Rick

Post by Rick »

Does anyone else see a fascinating parallel between 1 and 2:

1. The further down you drill into the nature of a "solid" object -- from table, to table leg, to tree cell, to molecule, to atom, to elementary particles, to quarks, and so on and so on -- the weirder and less tangible/solid things get, as if you were approaching: no-thing.

2. The further down you drill into the nature of experience (qualia, time, "I") the more you also seem to approach no-thing.

?

Could it be that, in "reality" (whadat?), there is no-thing there? Merrily merrily merrily merrily ...
Matt J

Post by Matt J »

Welcome to the desert of the real.

:yinyang: :buddha1: :yinyang:
rachmiel wrote:Does anyone else see a fascinating parallel between 1 and 2:

1. The further down you drill into the nature of a "solid" object -- from table, to table leg, to tree cell, to molecule, to atom, to elementary particles, to quarks, and so on and so on -- the weirder and less tangible/solid things get, as if you were approaching: no-thing.

2. The further down you drill into the nature of experience (qualia, time, "I") the more you also seem to approach no-thing.

?

Could it be that, in "reality" (whadat?), there is no-thing there? Merrily merrily merrily merrily ...
"The world is made of stories, not atoms."
--- Muriel Rukeyser
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

rachmiel wrote:Does anyone else see a fascinating parallel between 1 and 2:

?

E Ma Ho!

Row Gently, Jimmy.....
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
muni

Post by muni »

rachmiel wrote: What I'm wondering about is whether there is continuity in nature/reality itself?

A continuity as we know as time-bounded that not. A timeless continuity maybe? A nonstop continuity of appearances-emptiness or dependence-emptiness or clarity-emptiness ( empty mind and its' expressions).....
Nature of mind is beginning-less, endless and ......timeless. Perhaps so?

:meditate:
“We are each living in our own soap opera. We do not see things as they really are. We see only our interpretations. This is because our minds are always so busy...But when the mind calms down, it becomes clear. This mental clarity enables us to see things as they really are, instead of projecting our commentary on everything.” Jetsunma Tenzin Palmo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bg9jOYnEUA

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”