this may seem like a silly question but..

Discussion of the fifth religious tradition of Tibet.
kitsune901

this may seem like a silly question but..

Post by kitsune901 »

what are the similarities between Bon deities and the Other Buddhist schools? are they the same ones just given different names? i have been researching (mainly with Dakinis in particular, i feel drawn to them) this but i thought i would ask the community though.thanks guys~
-kitsune-

:woohoo: :thanks:
tingdzin

Re: this may seem like a silly question but..

Post by tingdzin »

Bon and Chos share a very few protectors, usually under different names. Other than that, they are not at all "the same". They (especially dakinis) may well share certain characteristics and functions, but most of the rest is different, including mantras.

If you have more specific questions, feel free.
kitsune901

Post by kitsune901 »

thats all i had for right now :) thank you, if i think of anything else i will ask.
kalden yungdrung

Post by kalden yungdrung »

kitsune901 wrote:
what are the similarities between Bon deities and the Other Buddhist schools?
Well the similarities are that they all are deities but their source is different. The other Tibetan Traditions have after 800 a more Indian character, regarding their deities. But there are sure deities " based " on the Tibetan deities from before 800, the only difference would then be that their name and their lineage differs as well their image.
All in all the Tibetan art from before 800 is mostly used for wrathful deities statue's etc., in the general Tibetan culture. Must say that the Indian Tantra's, also have impressive wrathful aspects of deities , which sure, also did inspire the Tibetan Traditions after 800.
The best meditation is no meditation
tingdzin

Post by tingdzin »

There is not so much Tibetan art in existence that can be dated to before 800, I believe. And a lot of the stuff that is seems to have been dedicated to Mahavairocana rather than wrathful deities. Could you cite some sources for your statement?
kitsune901

Post by kitsune901 »

Thanks for the replies! sorry i have not been on as much.. school is starting up again for me :/ gotta love getting a degree in religious studies and anthropology hmm?

Return to “Bön”