Dealing with anger

Help required with personal difficulties.
flowerbudh

Re: Dealing with anger

Post by flowerbudh »

Remember this: the other person is you. I love the Buddha's quote, "holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned," because it exemplifies this perfectly. During this time of struggle is the perfect time to practice. Recognize that any suffering you wish to inflict on another person will only come back to you. We all have scars that need to be salved. Try your hardest not to hurt others, if only to prevent yourself from getting hurt at the very least.

When anger arises within me, I take measures to let it dissipate like watching my breath and reciting positive affirmations mentally. My goal is always to get to a point where I understand that my anger (suffering) is an honest game played with the mind and so I don't judge myself for it. I remember that all of us are creatures crippled by the mind wanting the same thing: happiness. Wish all well. See how silly we can be when we identify with ourselves, spitting out cruel words like daggers, even breaking things... we're foolish beasts! Laughing it off is often a great method.

Anger isn't you. It's in you. Breathe it out, like a monstrous fire.
Peace comes from within. Do not seek it without. - The Buddha

Return to “Help Required”