Open office mantra letters

This is a space for inquiries about various languages, translations, or anything else related to language.

Open office mantra letters

Postby Tssrt » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:59 am

Hey so i am transcribing a tibetan text into open office and I use the settings as described on www.digitaltibetan.org. The only thing I cant find manuals for is how to write special letters, like they are sometimes in Mantras. I mean for example letters "the oher way round" and stuff like that. Hope someone can help me.
Tssrt

Re: Open office mantra letters

Postby kirtu » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:50 pm

It depends solely on the font or fonts that you are using. Tibetan Machine Uni seems to have everything I have seen in sadhanas. Since you are using Open Office, one way to select the glyph initially is to go to Insert -> Special Character and select it directly. This is a bit laborious though.

The writeup at digitaltibetan.org says to use Chris Fynn's Jomolhari as the primary Tibetan font but he does not include very many special symbols that one can see in sadhanas (he seems to be more oriented toward just the Tibetan itself). You might ask him what he uses for these other symbols (maybe he has another Jomolhari font for these symbols).

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
kirtu
Former staff member

Return to Language