Google and a Tibetan Font

Looking for translations, or for help with translations and transliterations? This is the place.
Jinzang

Google and a Tibetan Font

Post by Jinzang »

Google recently sent out a PR blast about a new font it is creating clled Noto, which is intended to cover all of Unicode. Unfortunately, it does not cover Tibetan yet, and I opened an issue about that. Yesteday I received a reply to the issue, which said
Despite the fact that Tibetan has less than 255 characters in Unicode it requires from a couple of thousand to many thousands of glyphs to properly represent and experts are not that readily available. So, actually not that surprising.
I am hoping someone here can politely suggest to Google where they might find the resources to develop a Tibetan font by adding their comments to the issue.
"It's as plain as the nose on your face!" Dottie Primrose
monlamdrime

Re: Google and a Tibetan Font

Post by monlamdrime »

I'm running into this same issue! I switched to Android from Apple and lost a lot of my Tibetan capabilities- for something so used by people in India, Bhutan, Tibet proper (or whatever regions it's been broken up into), Sikkim and other countries, you'd think they'd have support for it. They have support for Myanmar, which is a sister writing system and has some of the same type of complex stacked letters. Just seems silly to me.

Return to “Language”