Hosso/Yogacara vocabulary

Looking for translations, or for help with translations and transliterations? This is the place.
Phyllobius

Hosso/Yogacara vocabulary

Post by Phyllobius »

Hello,

Can anyone point me to a resource listing the japanese vocabulary of yogacara/Hosso?

Many thanks

Phyllobius
Admin_PC
Former staff member

Re: Hosso/Yogacara vocabulary

Post by Admin_PC »

Not specific to Yogacara, but if you already know the Sanskrit Buddhist term, you can put it into WWWJDIC and get the Japanese equivalent. You can also put in the Japanese to find the Sanskrit Buddhist term and/or English translation. This is what I got when I put in "alaya":
阿頼耶識 【あらやしき】 (n) {Buddh} alaya-vijnana (store consciousness, consciousness forming the base of all human existence)
In the brackets (【】) is the pronunciation using the Hiragana alphabet.
This link should help with using the Hiragana alphabet for pronunciation.

EDIT: There may also be a play button link at the far left of the WWWJDIC entry that will play an audio clip of the pronunciation.
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

There exists an english book by Hisao Inagaki which is a dictionary of Japanese Buddhist terms. I glanced through it and it seems very very good and very thorough. Of course it contains much more then only yogacara terms.
I have access to a copy of it if there is something particular you are interested in.
Dan74
Former staff member

Post by Dan74 »

I think Charles Muller, a great resource for my things relating to Korean Buddhism, had a page on Yogacara. I will try and find it once I am in front of a PC, in the meantime you can try looking up "muller" "Yogacara"

Another resource is our member l_rivers (Leo Rivers) who's been a devoted Yogacara student for many years, I believe.
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

Anyways why does this topic exist in two places?
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Fortyeightvows wrote:Anyways why does this topic exist in two places?
:smile: I moved it and left the shadow topic for a while in order to it's better findability. It was worth while finally somebody answered the OP.
Huseng
Former staff member

Post by Huseng »

Phyllobius wrote:Hello,

Can anyone point me to a resource listing the japanese vocabulary of yogacara/Hosso?

Many thanks

Phyllobius
If you have the kanji, you can find what you're looking for here:

http://www.buddhism-dict.net/ddb/
Dan74
Former staff member

Post by Dan74 »

I was thinking of this:

http://www.acmuller.net/yogacara/

and

http://www.buddhism-dict.net/ddb/

Not sure if you find what you are looking for there, but they are great resources. Contacting AC Muller is another option. He is a great guy.
Phyllobius

Post by Phyllobius »

Thank you very much.

:namaste:
Phyllobius

Post by Phyllobius »

Fortyeightvows wrote:There exists an english book by Hisao Inagaki which is a dictionary of Japanese Buddhist terms. I glanced through it and it seems very very good and very thorough. Of course it contains much more then only yogacara terms.
I have access to a copy of it if there is something particular you are interested in.
I'm gratefull for your proposition, but for now the scope of my research is too vague to deprive you of your time ;) Thank you none the less. Please bear my awfull english.
GDPR_Anonymized001

Post by GDPR_Anonymized001 »

Phyllobius wrote:I'm gratefull for your proposition, but for now the scope of my research is too vague to deprive you of your time ;) Thank you none the less. Please bear my awfull english.
Hi Phyllobius,

I've sent you a private message regarding this dictionary. Just letting you know here in case you don't know where to check (top left corner).

Jake
Astus
Former staff member

Post by Astus »

Wei Tat's Ch'eng Wei-Shih Lun is a bilingual book and usually mentions the Sanskrit expression in the English translation. Can be used as a good source for terminology.
1 Myriad dharmas are only mind.
Mind is unobtainable.
What is there to seek?

2 If the Buddha-Nature is seen,
there will be no seeing of a nature in any thing.

3 Neither cultivation nor seated meditation —
this is the pure Chan of Tathagata.

4 With sudden enlightenment to Tathagata Chan,
the six paramitas and myriad means
are complete within that essence.

1 Huangbo, T2012Ap381c1 2 Nirvana Sutra, T374p521b3; tr. Yamamoto 3 Mazu, X1321p3b23; tr. J. Jia 4 Yongjia, T2014p395c14; tr. from "The Sword of Wisdom"

Return to “Language”