Transliterations/Tibetan

Looking for translations, or for help with translations and transliterations? This is the place.
Nyedrag Yeshe

Transliterations/Tibetan

Post by Nyedrag Yeshe »

Can someone please transliterate this name for me དཀོོག་སཉན་གྲག་ཡེཤེས། ? Thank you all so much!
“Whatever has to happen, let it happen!”
“Whatever the situation is, it’s fine!”
“I really don’t need anything!
~Tsangpa Gyare Yeshe Dorje (1161-1211)
ओं पद्मोष्णीष विमले हूँ फट । ओं हनुफशभरहृदय स्वाहा॥
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔ ཀརྨ་པ་མཁྱེན་ནོ།
Punya

Re: Transliterations/Tibetan

Post by Punya »

I think it's dkog snyn drg yeshes but I'm more than happy to be corrected. I'm understanding that you just want the transliteration rather than to find out the meaning.

And BTW, welcome to Dharma Wheel. :hi:
We abide nowhere. We possess nothing.
~Chatral Rinpoche
Bristollad

Post by Bristollad »

It would appear to be:

dkoog.sanyana.grag.yeshesa

ཡེཤེས would be yeshes with an additional . between ཡེ and ཤེས
The antidote—to be free from the suffering of samsara—you need to be free from delusion and karma; you need to be free from ignorance, the root of samsara. So you need to meditate on emptiness. That is what you need. Lama Zopa Rinpoche
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

Nyedrag Yeshe wrote:Can someone please transliterate this name for me དཀོོག་སཉན་གྲག་ཡེཤེས། ? Thank you all so much!
In general, if you have a copyable string like that you can transliterate it into Wylie using this site:
http://www.thlib.org/reference/translit ... verter.php which provides the transliteration:

dko+og sanyan grag yeshes/

for your example. However, the last stroke is basically a punctuation mark and I think "sanyan grag yeshes" is more likely to be "snyan grag ye shes ". More speculatively, I would guess that "dko+og" is actually meant to be "dkon mchog". So my guess for what you are actually looking for is:

dkon mchog snyan grag ye shes = དཀོན་མཆོག་སྙན་གྲག་ཡེ་ཤེས་

Perhaps someone more learned than me can comment.
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

I believe Dzogchunpa is correct when he argues that the first syllable is an abbreviation for "KonChok"--(dkon.mchog).
Thus དཀོན་མཆོག་སྙན་གྲག་ཡེ་ཤེས་ is "Konchog Nyendrak Yeshe."

I am agreeing also with his spelling of སྙན---as the "sa" is not a prefix letter. It is a "head letter."
Also I believe the spelling of grag གྲག is missing a final "sa"--it should be grags གྲགས

This leads to the translation--something like "Jewel Of famed Wisdom."
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
Punya

Post by Punya »

I hope you got the answer you wanted Nyedrag Yeshe.

Thank you for the string converter link dzogchungpa. I'd seen this page but hadn't thought about using it this way. Especially useful for anyone wanting to translate names I would think.

So the general rule for transliteration (leaving aside missing head letters and contractions), Cone, is to include the inherent "a" where it occurs and is not changed by another vowel eg sanyan, except when it occurs immediately before the tseg eg sa, na, nga, ma are then transliterated as s, n, ng and m. Is this right?
We abide nowhere. We possess nothing.
~Chatral Rinpoche
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

Punya wrote:I hope you got the answer you wanted Nyedrag Yeshe.

Thank you for the string converter link dzogchungpa. I'd seen this page but hadn't thought about using it this way. Especially useful for anyone wanting to translate names I would think.

So the general rule for transliteration (leaving aside missing head letters and contractions), Cone, is to include the inherent "a" where it occurs and is not changed by another vowel eg sanyan, except when it occurs immediately before the tseg eg sa, na, nga, ma are then transliterated as s, n, ng and m. Is this right?
No. The transliteration schemes, like Wylie, etc., use the vowel only when it should be sounded---as part of the Main Letter, or "Ming Shi." For example, the correct Wylie here is dkon.mchog.snyan.grags.ye.shes.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
Rinchen Dorje

Post by Rinchen Dorje »

If you want to know how to pronounce it this is a good place: http://www.thlib.org/reference/translit ... verter.php
"But if you know how to observe yourself, you will discover your real nature, the primordial state, the state of Guruyoga, and then all will become clear because you will have discovered everything"-Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche
Nyedrag Yeshe

Post by Nyedrag Yeshe »

conebeckham wrote:I believe Dzogchunpa is correct when he argues that the first syllable is an abbreviation for "KonChok"--(dkon.mchog).
Thus དཀོན་མཆོག་སྙན་གྲག་ཡེ་ཤེས་ is "Konchog Nyendrak Yeshe."

I am agreeing also with his spelling of སྙན---as the "sa" is not a prefix letter. It is a "head letter."
Also I believe the spelling of grag གྲག is missing a final "sa"--it should be grags གྲགས

This leads to the translation--something like "Jewel Of famed Wisdom."
Thank you Cone!
“Whatever has to happen, let it happen!”
“Whatever the situation is, it’s fine!”
“I really don’t need anything!
~Tsangpa Gyare Yeshe Dorje (1161-1211)
ओं पद्मोष्णीष विमले हूँ फट । ओं हनुफशभरहृदय स्वाहा॥
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔ ཀརྨ་པ་མཁྱེན་ནོ།
Palzang Jangchub

Post by Palzang Jangchub »

I can confirm that
དཀཽག་ (with double naro)
is indeed an abbreviation for
དཀོན་མཆོག་ (the Drikung family name).

That's how Kyabjé Garchen Rinpoche wrote the first part of the name on my Refuge card. Presumably this is shorthand to save space for the other 4 syllables on that one little line.

Seems you have the same thing going on with yours, Nyendrag Yeshe. Nyendrag would seem to itself be a contraction of Nyenpar Dragpa (snyan par grags pa), "praiseworthy." Tibetans sure do love contractions!

That would lead to a translation along the lines of "Jewel of Praiseworthy Primordial Wisdom."

"The Sutras, Tantras, and Philosophical Scriptures are great in number. However life is short, and intelligence is limited, so it's hard to cover them completely. You may know a lot, but if you don't put it into practice, it's like dying of thirst on the shore of a great lake. Likewise, a common corpse is found in the bed of a great scholar." ~ Karma Chagme

དྲིན་ཆེན་རྩ་བའི་བླ་མ་སྐྱབས་རྗེ་མགར་ཆེན་ཁྲི་སྤྲུལ་རིན་པོ་ཆེ་ཁྱེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ།།
རྗེ་བཙུན་བླ་མ་མཁས་གྲུབ་ཀརྨ་ཆགས་མེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ། ཀརྨ་པ་མཁྱེན་ནོཿ

Return to “Language”