What mantra is this, and what does it do?

Looking for translations, or for help with translations and transliterations? This is the place.
AlexMcLeod

What mantra is this, and what does it do?

Post by AlexMcLeod »

ImageFriend of mine owns a spiritual center, and ordered a prayer wheel from one of her suppliers. It came in broken. This was inside. Just wondering what mantra it is.
Relax! Smile From The Heart!
There is a difference between the Mundane and the Transcendental. If you purposefully confuse them, I will ignore you, you nihilist.
There is no Emotion, there is Peace. There is no Ignorance, there is Knowledge. There is no Passion, there is Serenity. There is no Death, there is the Force.
dzogchungpa

Re: What mantra is this, and what does it do?

Post by dzogchungpa »

I'm guessing it's om mani padme hum in the Ranjana script, see:
http://www.visiblemantra.org/avalokitesvara.html
although I'm not sure about the thing at the end.
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
AlexMcLeod

Post by AlexMcLeod »

Ah, you seem to be right. As long as those last characters don't change the meaning. Would there be a reason it's was burnt on the edges? I've only read the fpmt info on prayer wheels.
There is a difference between the Mundane and the Transcendental. If you purposefully confuse them, I will ignore you, you nihilist.
There is no Emotion, there is Peace. There is no Ignorance, there is Knowledge. There is no Passion, there is Serenity. There is no Death, there is the Force.
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

To make it look more sacred
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

AlexMcLeod wrote:Ah, you seem to be right. As long as those last characters don't change the meaning. Would there be a reason it's was burnt on the edges? I've only read the fpmt info on prayer wheels.
Are you certain the edges are burnt? To my poor eyes, that's what poor paper looks like when it has been worn down, as though inside a prayer wheel.
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

AlexMcLeod wrote:Friend of mine owns a spiritual center, and ordered a prayer wheel from one of her suppliers. It came in broken. This was inside. Just wondering what mantra it is.
If you'd like to try to decode it, here's some information on Lantsa and Devnagari, two candidate writing systems for this item

http://www.omniglot.com/writing/ranjana.htm

http://www.omniglot.com/writing/devanagari.htm
AlexMcLeod

Post by AlexMcLeod »

DGA wrote:Are you certain the edges are burnt? To my poor eyes, that's what poor paper looks like when it has been worn down, as though inside a prayer wheel.
Quite certain. There is still ash in spots, and one area where the fire was allowed to burn further than the rest.

Return to “Language”