North American Kagyu Monlam 2011 Jun 22-26 Vancouver

Here we can publicise upcoming dharma events (talks, retreats, webcasts, etc).
phantom59

North American Kagyu Monlam 2011 Jun 22-26 Vancouver

Post by phantom59 »

Event : North American Kagyu Monlam 2011
Date : June 22 through 26, 2011
Venue : Thrangu Monastery, Vancouver, Canada
http://2010nakm.blogspot.com/2010/07/pl ... onlam.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

At the conclusion of today's events, Lama Chodrak of the international Kagyu Monlam organizing committee said that the dates have been set for the next North American Kagyu Monlam.

The five-day event will be conducted from June 22 through 26, 2011, at Thrangu Monastery in Vancouver, Canada. The concluding day of the program is scheduled for June 26, His Holiness Karmapa's birthday.To get an advance look at the home of next year's Monlam, check out: http://thrangumonastery.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We're making plans now for our 2011 trip. How about you?
catmoon
Former staff member

Re: North American Kagyu Monlam 2011 Jun 22-26 Vancouver

Post by catmoon »

phantom59 wrote:Event : North American Kagyu Monlam 2011
Date : June 22 through 26, 2011
Venue : Thrangu Monastery, Vancouver, Canada
http://2010nakm.blogspot.com/2010/07/pl ... onlam.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

At the conclusion of today's events, Lama Chodrak of the international Kagyu Monlam organizing committee said that the dates have been set for the next North American Kagyu Monlam.

The five-day event will be conducted from June 22 through 26, 2011, at Thrangu Monastery in Vancouver, Canada. The concluding day of the program is scheduled for June 26, His Holiness Karmapa's birthday.To get an advance look at the home of next year's Monlam, check out: http://thrangumonastery.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We're making plans now for our 2011 trip. How about you?

Pity this wasn't posted earlier! Ah well, maybe next time
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

Uh...Catmoon?

This is regarding next year's schedule. I think the post is timely.

Perhaps you were referring to the fact that this year's Monlam wasn't posted until after the fact?
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
catmoon
Former staff member

Post by catmoon »

conebeckham wrote:Uh...Catmoon?

This is regarding next year's schedule. I think the post is timely.

Perhaps you were referring to the fact that this year's Monlam wasn't posted until after the fact?

BOINK!

I seem to have simply assumed the date was 2010. Doh.
catmoon
Former staff member

Post by catmoon »

So as near as I can make out, a monlam consists mainly of praying. Now I'm wondering, is it a drop-in affair, or are people expected to spend the whole five days there like a retreat? It is public?
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

Well...I can't answer your questions for certain. But I think that if you wish to participate actively, --have a seat, recite the prayers, etc.--you need to pre-register.
I'm sure there are observers who come and go daily, as well.

The prayers recited at the Monlam change daily, and yearly, but in general there are a variety of aspiration and dedication prayers that get recited multiple times. You can find the Kagyu Monlam book for sale at Snow Lion, at KTD's bookstore, and likely at other places that have a good selection of Dharma books.

I have not attended a Kagyu Monlam, but know people who have, both in India and here in Woodstock this year.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")

Return to “Dharma Events”