Garchen R. "Essence of Mahayana" July23-Aug2

Here we can publicise upcoming dharma events (talks, retreats, webcasts, etc).
Lhasa

Garchen R. "Essence of Mahayana" July23-Aug2

Post by Lhasa »

http://gardrolma.org/SEevents.html
Times are Eastern

Dear Dharma Students,

We are pleased to share with you the daily schedule for H.E. Garchen Rinpoche’s 2015 Summer Retreat this July. As we shared in an earlier email, we will receive teachings from “The Essence of Mahayana” a text not only close to Garchen Rinpoche’s heart, but one of the best known by Lord Jigten Sumgon. Through the kindness of our resident teacher, Khenpo Samdup, who requested this teaching, we will have the rare privilege of receiving it for the first time in the West from Garchen Rinpoche.

These teachings will emphasize the three vehicles the first weekend and Mahamudra the second, plus Tara teachings and more. We hope that you can join us for these precious teachings. Registration is now open.

With kind regards,
The Board of Gar Drolma

Dear Dharma Students

This summer, H.E. Garchen Rinpoche will give teachings on The Essence of Mahayana at Gar Drolma Buddhist Learning and Meditation Center in Dayton, Ohio. This will be the first time that Rinpoche will bestow these teachings in the West. Among all the texts written by Lord Jigten Sumgon, The Essence of Mahayana and the Gongchig stand out as being two of his most extraordinary and most widely-known compositions.

Regarding the Gongchig (dgongs gcig), it is principally used by Dharma practitioners who have a focus on study and contemplation, whereas The Essence of the Mahayana (bstan pai snying po) is principallyused by those with more of a focus on practice. Rinpoche has a particularly close connection to both of these texts, as these two texts have been studied and practiced by all of the incarnations of Gar Chodingpa since the time of his incarnation as the heart son of Lord Jigton Sumgon, up until the present day.

These days, whenever Garchen Rinpoche gives teachings, he bases his teachings on the content of the Gongchig, The Essence of Mahayana and The Seven Supplications to Tara. The Essence of the Mahayana is a text elucidating the stages of the path of the practice lineage (bka brgyud), and contains an explanation of the step-by-step progression of dharma practice in terms of the Three Levels of Vows (pratimoksha,bodhisattva, and tantric).

In regard to the vows, Rinpoche will first bestow the Lay Vows to the disciples, and give instruction on the related precepts and details of these commitments. Similarly, he will progressively bestow and instruct on the Bodhisattva Vows and Tantric Vows.

From within the set of tantric teachings, Rinpoche will teach on the creation and completion stage practices of Arya Tara, based on the prayer: The Supplication to the Seven Taras.

It was with a great deal of thought and careful consideration into what would be of the greatest long-term
future benefit for disciples that I have chosen these teachings. Similarly, the disciples themselves should understand and recognize just how precious and important it is in this lifetime to receive teachings such as these, so I encourage you all to please come!

At this time, considering many factors such as Rinpoche’s increasing years, and also his level of
practice, all are aware there’s nothing more important than his bestowing the teachings on the ‘the essence of the dharma’ such as this. We can further look to the example of the exalted, supreme spiritual masters, who in order to accomplish the purpose of beings, do this through bestowing the holy teachings of the essence of the dharma. This is how it was done in the past, and this is the way it is still being accomplished today.

Khenpo Konchok Samdup

Garchen Rinpoche Summer Retreat:

First Week:
T‌hursday Ju‌ly 2‌3rd
10:00am-12:00pm Preparation on to the path: The Four Dharmas
2:00pm-5:00pm Transforming the mind

F‌riday Ju‌ly 2‌4th
10:00am-12:00pm Teaching on the Buddhist path based upon the
Vinaya view
2:00pm-5:00pm Bestow lay vows

Sa‌turday Ju‌ly 2‌5th
Mahayana view
2:00pm-5:00pm Bestow the Bodhisattva vows

S‌unday J‌uly 2‌6th
10:00am-12:00pm Introduction to Vajrayana
2:00pm-5:00pm Vajrayana teachings on the stages of meditation

Second week:
W‌ednesday Ju‌ly 2‌9th
2:00pm-5:00pm Mahamudra Empowerment

Th‌ursday J‌uly 3‌0th
10:00am-12:00pm Preparation for the completion stage of Mahamudra
2:00pm-5:00pm Teachings on the meditation stage of Mahamudra
(Instructions will be given describing how to bring physical discomfort,
obscurations, and discursive thoughts onto the path)

F‌riday Ju‌ly 3‌1st
10:00am-12:00pm Mahamudra teachings on transforming afflictive
emotions and obscurations
2:00pm-5:00pm Mahamudra teachings on transforming death on to the
path and the bardo

S‌aturday A‌ugust 1‌st
10:00am-12:00pm Teachings on Illustrious Tara the absolute yidam deity
1:00pm-2:00pm Refuge
2:00pm-5:00pm Tantric teachings based upon Tara

Su‌nday A‌ugust 2‌nd
10:00am-12:00pm Tantric teachings based upon Tara
2:00pm-5:00pm Long Life White Tara Practice for HE Garchen Rinpoche
and Kata Offering

All Events Held at Gar Drolma Buddhist Center
1329 Creighton Ave.
Dayton, OH 45420

Lhasa

Re: Garchen R. "Essence of Mahayana" July23-Aug2

Post by Lhasa »

bump
Urgyen Dorje

Post by Urgyen Dorje »

I encourage everyone and anyone to go see Garchen Rinpoche regardless of what he teaches and what one thinks of one's capacity to receive his teachings. He's one of these rare lamas who is capable of teaching in such a manner that everyone present will receive what they need without exception. He's really the perfect lama. I am confident that simply seeing him and being in his presence once is sufficient to achieve liberation as he really is White Tara. There is no difference. If your trip is going to get teachings on a sadhana line by line, word by word, that's really not his style. He teaches the pith heart essence of his experience. If he teaches a Tara sadhana you might not know how to make the tormas or how to do the mudras, but you will see how Chakrasamvara is no different than Tara practice, and he will teach how even making a sandwhich with love and compassion and mindfulness is Tara practice. By his own admission he is not a scholar, but he will teach from his own experience that bodhicitta is really no different than mahamudra or atiyoga. It's then really up to you to practice like a kusulu and to never forget the perfect guru. I've never pitched any of my teachers but this is the exception. Just saying. Those who archive and webcast these teachings and archive them on line are bodhisattvas and saints. Just saying.
Lhasa

Post by Lhasa »

:good:
Zeno

Post by Zeno »

I may be able to attend the July 29 Mahamudra Empowerment. I have attended webcasts by ChNN but haven't attended a live empowerment. Would this be alright for
a first empowerment? I won't be able to attend the instruction on Mahamudra the next day. Is there anything I should be aware of as a first time attendee? Dress code or behavior?
How early should I show up? Is it acceptable to just come for just one day during the teachings when I haven't been to Gar Drolma before?

Thanks.
Lhasa

Post by Lhasa »

Hi Zeno,
Here is the email for Gar Drolma. They are very friendly and will help with your questions.
This is not a large venue, so I would get there early.
[email protected]
Zeno wrote:I may be able to attend the July 29 Mahamudra Empowerment. I have attended webcasts by ChNN but haven't attended a live empowerment. Would this be alright for
a first empowerment? I won't be able to attend the instruction on Mahamudra the next day. Is there anything I should be aware of as a first time attendee? Dress code or behavior?
How early should I show up? Is it acceptable to just come for just one day during the teachings when I haven't been to Gar Drolma before?

Thanks.
T. Chokyi

Post by T. Chokyi »

Lhasa wrote:

First Week:
T‌hursday Ju‌ly 2‌3rd

F‌riday Ju‌ly 2‌4th
Vinaya view

Sa‌turday Ju‌ly 2‌5th
Mahayana view

S‌unday J‌uly 2‌6th

Second week:
W‌ednesday Ju‌ly 2‌9th

Th‌ursday J‌uly 3‌0th

F‌riday Ju‌ly 3‌1st
path and the bardo

S‌aturday A‌ugust 1‌st

Su‌nday A‌ugust 2‌nd
and Kata Offering

1329 Creighton Ave.
Dayton, OH 45420
Live Streaming Information & Links

weekend 1
https://t.e2ma.net/click/cjfef/sbcjk/05ojrb

weekend 2
https://t.e2ma.net/click/cjfef/sbcjk/gypjrb
Lhasa

Post by Lhasa »

:thanks:
Lhasa

Post by Lhasa »

bump for Wednesday
T. Chokyi wrote:
Lhasa wrote:

First Week:
T‌hursday Ju‌ly 2‌3rd

F‌riday Ju‌ly 2‌4th
Vinaya view

Sa‌turday Ju‌ly 2‌5th
Mahayana view

S‌unday J‌uly 2‌6th

Second week:
W‌ednesday Ju‌ly 2‌9th

Th‌ursday J‌uly 3‌0th

F‌riday Ju‌ly 3‌1st
path and the bardo

S‌aturday A‌ugust 1‌st

Su‌nday A‌ugust 2‌nd
and Kata Offering

1329 Creighton Ave.
Dayton, OH 45420
Live Streaming Information & Links

weekend 1
https://t.e2ma.net/click/cjfef/sbcjk/05ojrb

weekend 2
https://t.e2ma.net/click/cjfef/sbcjk/gypjrb
T. Chokyi

Post by T. Chokyi »

Lhasa wrote::thanks:
Did you see when there was a question at the end of the Bodhisattva vows in the chat, where someone out of the blue
asked if they could take the Bodhisattva vows from the youtube video right at the end of that session because they had missed it, and the answer came back right away, YES, that Garchen Rinpoche has been very specific about it, and that they can do that.

Very interesting... always blows my mind a bit... I hear there is a picnic tomorrow, an Achi fire puja, and a celebration concerning Khenpo Samdrup being a US citizen, kinda makes me want potato salad by fire puja. :twothumbsup:

I've seen you in the chat several times but didn't sign in yet... maybe next time k? :yinyang:

I think there maybe a hand full watching live, sometimes only 6 or 7, but I know that 100's watch afterwards, the count goes way up... :spy:
Lhasa

Post by Lhasa »

Yes, I did, that was amazing...and I've noticed that when Garchen Rinpoche discusses this, he mentions trusting in the Buddhas of the Three Times. I don't know what that means, but it seems to be a hint.
Did you see this?
http://www.gardrolmacourses.com/login/index.php
It's a new online course based on these teachings where Kenpo and Garchen Rinpoche will answer questions and it is meant to be a knowledge base for the sangha. It is not operational for registration just yet. They hope to have that done by the end of these teachings.

See you in chat. :twothumbsup:
T. Chokyi wrote:
Did you see when there was a question at the end of the Bodhisattva vows in the chat, where someone out of the blue
asked if they could take the Bodhisattva vows from the youtube video right at the end of that session because they had missed it, and the answer came back right away, YES, that Garchen Rinpoche has been very specific about it, and that they can do that.

Very interesting... always blows my mind a bit... I hear there is a picnic tomorrow, an Achi fire puja, and a celebration concerning Khenpo Samdrup being a US citizen, kinda makes me want potato salad by fire puja. :twothumbsup:

I've seen you in the chat several times but didn't sign in yet... maybe next time k? :yinyang:

I think there maybe a hand full watching live, sometimes only 6 or 7, but I know that 100's watch afterwards, the count goes way up... :spy:
T. Chokyi

Post by T. Chokyi »

Good, I'm glad you saw, it seems like I actually felt "oh I should have a screen shot of that as some kind of proof"... then I realized what am I thinking about... ha ha ha :tongue:

Buddhas of three times are those that were in the past, present, and future, so Buddha of our time we could say is Shakyamuni Buddha because that is the dispensation of now, and in the past many others, and of course an example of one of the future Buddhas is Maitreya Buddha, interesting how he is depicted as sitting kind of western style.

I didn't see that place for courses, but I find it interesting that you are pointing that out today, because yesterday I had a similar "new" place pointed out to me here: http://www.odiyanainstitute.org so I'll share that with you.

The Khentruls and the Khenchens plus the Khenpos are definitely gearing up to teach on the interwebz. I know Khenpo Samdrup gets on these really great long "rolls" when he's teaching which I like, and he also fields and encourages questions, he has a very direct easygoing conversational style.

Lhasa wrote:Yes, I did, that was amazing...and I've noticed that when Garchen Rinpoche discusses this, he mentions trusting in the Buddhas of the Three Times. I don't know what that means, but it seems to be a hint.
Did you see this?
http://www.gardrolmacourses.com/login/index.php
It's a new online course based on these teachings where Kenpo and Garchen Rinpoche will answer questions and it is meant to be a knowledge base for the sangha. It is not operational for registration just yet. They hope to have that done by the end of these teachings.

See you in chat. :twothumbsup:
T. Chokyi wrote:

Return to “Dharma Events”