Webcast at Garchen Buddhist Institue.

bryandavis

Webcast at Garchen Buddhist Institue.

Post by bryandavis »

Web-streamed Teachings by Khenpo Samdrub at Garchen Buddhist Institute.

9AM - 12PM & 2PM - 5PM
JULY 7TH - 12TH

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/4truths4thoughtsday1 ( Link for Tuesday and Wends )

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/bodhicittaday1-2 ( Link for Thursday and friday )

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/bodhicittadays3-4 ( Link forSaturday and Sunday )

Bio of Khenpo Samdrup:

KHENPO SAMDRUP

I was born in Kham, in the Nangchen region of Eastern Tibet. When I was seven years old I received the vows of Refuge from Garchen Rinpoche, and at the age of twelve I became ordained as a monk. I learned how to perform lama dance and pujas, and to play various musical instruments and so forth. For three years I traveled every winter with Rinpoche making the rounds to over 15 or so different towns to hold great accomplishment practices, or drubchens. During the summers we would stay in retreat at the monastery in Gargon. Not long after that I had the great fortune of traveling with my kind root lama, Garchen Rinpoche to Amdo, where I met another extraordinary and highly realized lama, the Revered Dzogchen master Khenpo Munsel. From this great master I was able to receive direct pointing out instructions on the nature of mind. From these experiences I found that my mind had been deeply transformed.

Later I heard about the great qualities of the master Khenpo Jigme Puntsok, and I gave rise to a strong longing to meet him. So before long I set out on a challenging journey alone to Khenpo Jigme Puntsok’s monastery in Amdo, hoping I would finally be able to devote myself to study, contemplation, and meditation. It was a far distance away and at that time in Tibet the condition of the roads was very bad, so there were very few people traveling that way. It ended up taking me over a month to get there. When I arrived I found that I was much younger than most of the monks and I had great difficulty understanding and communicating because my dialect was so different. There was practically nobody there from my region at that time so I was quite alone and without any friends. There are plenty of amusing stories I could tell from those times, but I won’t get into those here.

I was however able to meet with Khenpo Jigme Puntsok and I received many pith instructions, empowerments and teachings. I also was able to receive teachings on almost all of the Twelve Great Scriptures from his main student Khenpo Tsultrim Lodro. I stayed at Khenpo Jigme Puntsok’s for more than four years.

Prior to my experience with Khenpo Munsel I had faith and devotion, but I was lacking understanding. And in order to grasp the profound meaning of the practices based on the pith instructions it is important to develop certainty with respect to the meaning of the teachings on The Middle Way. Now I knew that my practice of the Dharma had been based on blind faith, so from this point on I became especially interested in the study of Buddhist philosophy, and particularly the topics of Buddhist logic, reasoning, and the teachings of The Middle Way. I came to understand that through study and contemplation there arises a faith that’s based on reason.
The main objective of Buddhism is to reach the state of liberation and complete omniscience, and the path that accomplishes that objective is the conduct of love and compassion, and bodhicitta, together with the view of emptiness and karmic interdependence. I felt determined to apply myself to the practice of study, contemplation, and meditation.

My own studies however still were not over. Later I would go on to study for four years at Dzogsar Shedra and then went on to Kagyu College where I received a graduate degree and taught for five years.
Boomerang

Re: Webcast at Garchen Buddhist Institue.

Post by Boomerang »

I'm assuming these are mountain time.
bryandavis

Post by bryandavis »

Same as pacific time right now.
Boomerang

Post by Boomerang »

Oh yeah. Arizona doesn't do daylight savings time, so right now it's the same as Pacific time. Thank you for clearing that up for me.
Boomerang

Post by Boomerang »

It's starting now.
bryandavis

Post by bryandavis »

Web cast is up now. Will be fine next session. There was a computer issue. As in, our computer was stolen :/

Tune is when you get a chance.

:cheers:
Derek

Post by Derek »

This is very cool. Thank you, byran.
Losal Samten

Post by Losal Samten »

What are the two books that Khenpo Samdrup is reading from?
Lacking mindfulness, we commit every wrong. - Nyoshul Khen Rinpoche
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔
ཨོཾ་ཧ་ནུ་པྷ་ཤ་བྷ་ར་ཧེ་ཡེ་སྭཱ་ཧཱ།།
ཨཱོཾ་མ་ཏྲི་མུ་ཡེ་སལེ་འདུ།།
bryandavis

Post by bryandavis »

The books are called:

Learning Buddhism and Stages of Meditation, both books are transcriptions of his Dharma talks.

You can get them via Gar Drolma Buddhist center in Dayton, Ohio and in a week or so on the Garchen Buddhist Institute webstore.

I find it pretty cool how he does things. He likes to read from his books to improve his english. He said if he reads the book then he will remember the english worlds and then he wont need to use his books.

He has only been speeking English five years. Its actually very good for that amount of time.
Losal Samten

Post by Losal Samten »

Cheers Bryan.
Lacking mindfulness, we commit every wrong. - Nyoshul Khen Rinpoche
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔
ཨོཾ་ཧ་ནུ་པྷ་ཤ་བྷ་ར་ཧེ་ཡེ་སྭཱ་ཧཱ།།
ཨཱོཾ་མ་ཏྲི་མུ་ཡེ་སལེ་འདུ།།
bryandavis

Post by bryandavis »

FOUR THOUGHTS DAY TWO
STARTING NOW
ENJOY!!!
Jinzang

Post by Jinzang »

You can buy Khenpo Samdup's books online from Gar Drolma.
"It's as plain as the nose on your face!" Dottie Primrose
bryandavis

Post by bryandavis »

I,m not sure if Gar Drolma has an online store. You can get grom GBI Webstore but we have a problem with our CC company right now.

If you would like to order in less than a week then send you request to:
[email protected]

(EDIT)

I Thought you said "can you get from Gar Drolma" never mind!!!
Loren Enders

Post by Loren Enders »

Will these teachings be made available afterwards so that those who missed them can get the books and then go through them together with Khenpo?
'Lorem', 'Loren', 'Loren Enders'
bryandavis

Post by bryandavis »

Webcast starting in five minutes

Loren,

The Audio of the teachings will be available via GBI Webstore in about a week.

His books can be purchased via Gar Drolma in Ohio on there website

Return to “North America (USA & Canada)”