Teaching: The Mahamudra Lineage Prayer – Part I
Teaching: The Mahamudra Lineage Prayer – Part II
Empowerment: The 84 Mahasiddhas

31st of May
Empowerment: Dorje Sempa
Empowerment: Medicine Buddha

Program for Berlin, Germany (held at the Estrel Convention Centre):

5th June 2014
Public Talk: ‘Ancient Wisdom for the Modern World. Heart-Advice for a Meaningful Life’

6th June 2014
Public Talk: ‘Mind Training – Taming the Mind and Cultivating Loving Kindness’
Public Talk: ‘Buddhism and the Environment – Living in Harmony with our Planet’

7th June 2014
Public Talk: ‘Changing the World from the Inside Out – Love and Compassion for a Globalised World’
Teaching: ‘Developing Inner Peace – The Art of Meditation with Cultural Events’

8th June 2014
Empowerment: Karma Pakshi
Youth Event: ‘The Future Is Now –- Today's Youth are the Hope for a Better Tomorrow’ (free registration for all under 30 years)

From the Karmapa Germany website:
His Holiness the 17th Karmapa in Germany
May 28th to June 9th, 2014

With the support granted by the Central Government of India and the Tibetan Administration in Exile, we have the great pleasure and honor to announce the first visit to Europe by His Holiness the 17th Gyalwang Karmapa Ogyen Trinley Dorje.

Between the 28th May and 9th June, 2014 His Holiness will visit Germany in the heart of Europe, where he is expected with great joy. His first, historic journey to the continent will begin at Kamalashila Institute®, his main seat in Europe, and continue to the German capital of Berlin.

The Karma Kagyu Gemeinschaft Deutschland e.V. is delighted to invite all students, friends and interested public to join in this happy occasion and turn it into a successful, festive event.
From the Bodhicharya Berlin event on Facebook:
The 17th Karmapa --- Face and voice of 21st century Tibetan Buddhism --- visits Europe

It is our great pleasure and honour to announce the first visit to Europe by His Holiness the 17th Karmapa, Ogyen Trinley Dorje. With the kind support granted by the Central Government of India and the Tibetan Administration in Exile, His Holiness will be visiting Berlin from 5th - 8th June 2014.

After the Dalai Lama and the Panchen Lama, the 17th Karmapa is venerated as the third most significant representative of Tibetan Buddhism.

During his German tour his programme will include both traditional Buddhist teachings and secular events concerning current social issues such as Buddhism and the environment or the significance of compassion in a globalised world.

The Karmapa also wants to address to the young people of his own generation, in order to engender hope and faith in their future, at a time when the problems facing the world may often seem insurmountable. He is critical of the culture of consumerism which dominates much of the world today, urging personal responsibility and active engagement for sustainability, and protection of the environment in the light of climate change. He is an advocate of social justice and gender equality and a commentator on other pressing issues in society at large.

Throughout the world, the Karmapa has attracted respect and support because he is known to be someone who “walks the talk“, not only advocating change but taking active steps towards the realization of his vision.

The Karmapa is far from seeing himself as a religious missionary; rather he sees himself as a voice representing a source of ancient wisdom from the East in a dialogue with the modern world.

"The Sutras, Tantras, and Philosophical Scriptures are great in number. However life is short, and intelligence is limited, so it's hard to cover them completely. You may know a lot, but if you don't put it into practice, it's like dying of thirst on the shore of a great lake. Likewise, a common corpse is found in the bed of a great scholar." ~ Karma Chagme

དྲིན་ཆེན་རྩ་བའི་བླ་མ་སྐྱབས་རྗེ་མགར་ཆེན་ཁྲི་སྤྲུལ་རིན་པོ་ཆེ་ཁྱེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ།།
རྗེ་བཙུན་བླ་མ་མཁས་གྲུབ་ཀརྨ་ཆགས་མེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ། ཀརྨ་པ་མཁྱེན་ནོཿ
Palzang Jangchub

Re: HH Karmapa in Germany

Post by Palzang Jangchub »

Can't attend His Holiness's teachings in person? No problem! Just make sure you have internet access May 29th - June 8th.

:coffee:

Webcast link: http://kagyumonlam.org/Webcast/live_webcast.html
(Your local schedule can be determine by selecting your timezone below the video)

Teaching schedule: http://the17thkarmapa.blogspot.tw/2014/ ... rmany.html
(All times listed on the above site are given in IST - Indian Standard Time)

PLEASE NOTE: Whether or not one has received an empowerment via live webcast is entirely at the discretion of the Gyalwang Karmapa.

"The Sutras, Tantras, and Philosophical Scriptures are great in number. However life is short, and intelligence is limited, so it's hard to cover them completely. You may know a lot, but if you don't put it into practice, it's like dying of thirst on the shore of a great lake. Likewise, a common corpse is found in the bed of a great scholar." ~ Karma Chagme

pensum

Post by pensum »

Karma Jinpa wrote:PLEASE NOTE: Whether or not one has received an empowerment via live webcast is entirely at the discretion of the Gyalwang Karmapa.
PLEASE NOTE: The official website clearly states:
The ritual sections of the empowerments will be broadcasted only via audio. Webcast viewers cannot receive the empowerment via the webcast.
(my emphasis) http://www.karmapa-germany.de/en/live-webcast-2/
Palzang Jangchub

Thanks for the correction, pensum. I didn't click on that page since I'd already gotten the info from the Monlam webcast page and the Karmapa blog. Looks like I should've taken a gander before posting...

:oops:

As far as I knew from previous Mönlams and the teachings at the Habitat Centre, usually the Gyalwang Karmapa has decided not long beforehand whether reception via webcast is valid or not based on the given context.

However, I've been told by a long-time webcast organizer friend of mine that His Holiness has indicated it's always considered a "blessing" to participate from afar, even if you're only viewing/hearing the ceremony. Not sure if the term "blessing" was being used to indicate a jinlab being received by web participants (as opposed to a wangkur for those physically in attendance), or if it was meant in the more usual Western sense... but my guess would be the latter.

Guess the organizers of event and the webcast have already been given specific instructions on the matter. Anyone participating via webcast should consider their comments authoritative.

kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Karma Jinpa wrote: Program for Nürburg, Germany (held at the Bitburger Event-Center, Nürburgring):
For friends not from Germany please note that there is no town of Nürburg. These events are taking place at the Nürburgring in Rheinland-Pfalz in middle-west Germany. The Nürburgring is a race track complex west of Koblenz and South of Koeln (Cologne) in middle western Germany not far from the Luxembourg-Belgian border.

I mention this because there is the city of Nürnberg ( Nuremberg in English) that is the largest city in northern Bavaria but is several hundred kilometers to the south of the event.

So please be careful and avoid the confusion when you go to get tickets at the train station.

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
Palzang Jangchub

kirtu wrote:
Karma Jinpa wrote: Program for Nürburg, Germany (held at the Bitburger Event-Center, Nürburgring):
For friends not from Germany please note that there is no town of Nürburg. These events are taking place at the Nürburgring in Rheinland-Pfalz in middle-west Germany. The Nürburgring is a race track complex west of Koblenz and South of Koeln (Cologne) in middle western Germany not far from the Luxembourg-Belgian border.

I mention this because there is the city of Nürnberg ( Nuremberg in English) that is the largest city in northern Bavaria but is several hundred kilometers to the south of the event.

So please be careful and avoid the confusion when you go to get tickets at the train station.

Kirt
Thanks for the correction, Kirt.

I was going by the English language Wikipedia article on the Nürburgring, and apparently excised a bit to much as far as the location goes. The line I excerpted from was "Nürburgring is a motorsports complex around the village of Nürburg, Rhineland-Palatinate, Germany," so either I made a erroneous leap and simply put Nurburg, Germany (meaning the village), or I daresay that Wikipedia is giving out some false info. Wouldn't be the first time...

The Wiki article does go on to say that the Nürburgring "is located about 70 km (43 mi) south of Cologne, and 120 km (75 mi) northwest of Frankfurt," if that helps to clear up the confusion at all.

Sorry, folks! :oops: Obviously I don't know my way around Germany... :toilet:

kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Karma Jinpa wrote:
kirtu wrote:
For friends not from Germany please note that there is no town of Nürburg.
Well apparently there is a village there after all. Nürburg is a castle but I must have missed the village when I was there (driving through).

Anyway, just don't confuse it with the much larger city Nürnberg well to the south.

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche

Return to “Europe”