Empowerments

As Tantra often involves vows and samaya related to secret practice, this sub-forum has been created where Vajrayana practitioners can pose questions, and any of our members or staff can reply confidentially by PM.
Blue Garuda

Empowerments

Post by Blue Garuda »

I was recently told by a Lama that in India he would have a crowd of 2,000 for an empowerment and 200 for a teaching.

From behaviour I observe in some Western organisations, it seems that the behaviour is the same.

Practice commitments are accepted by some, but I really wonder how many keep them, or just tick off the empowerment from their list and move on.

I'm not cynical, but I'm not surprised that some Lamas do not give 'mass' empowerments to westerners. (I'm not talking of Kalachakra btw, as it is a special case in its suitability for mass empowerment.)

Just how many empowerments does one person need in one lifetime, I wonder ?

I have received many empowerments, most with no practice commitments. I have just two daily practices and occasionally perform others.

There is a risk that people could chase empowerments and Gurus and never really settle to the performance of any.

What is the experience of others, and what is your view?

maitri

Yeshe :)
Left

Return to “Buddhist Tantra Talk”