Ojas

A forum for all questions about Tibetan Medicine. No more posting in this forum until further notice.
Malcolm

Re: Ojas

Post by Malcolm »

Adamantine wrote:
Namdrol wrote:
Adamantine wrote:Namdrol, in TM is ashwagandha also considered a helpful herb to rebuild ojas?

I've never had a Tibetan doctor tell me to fast/cleanse--- I've had them tell me many other things.. once I was told to definitely not have sex or drink alcohol when I was very depleted and couldn't digest food well. Is there a recommended season to do a cleanse from TM POV? And would you want to be in prime good health before attempting this? Is there a Tibetan version of a cleanse, rather than the "colorado cleanse" Is it good for anyone to do on a regular basis, or is there some sign that indicates you really need to do it...
Seasonal cleanses are recommended in the rgyud bzhi. But the Tibetans do not have the custom even though it is taught in the textbooks of Tibetan medicine.

The reason I recommend the colorado cleanse is that it is based on very sound Ayurvedic principles, and it is the one I personally use. The week long cleanse in the rgyud bzhi is fine, very simple, but, in my opinion, is a little too simple. It is for a time when people were less toxified in general.

Everyone, across the board, who is in reasonable good health, should so a cleanse in the spring and in the fall. Ayruvedic practitioners time it with two festivals, one that occurs in April, another than occurs in October. So that is when I do it to.
Great, thanks Namdrol! When is the festival in October? Maybe I will try then too.
Starts next tuesday.
sangyey

Post by sangyey »

Namdrol, in terms of cleansing the body, someone suggested to drink 8 glasses of water when you wake up (perhaps Chinese influence) and I have tried this a few times and notice that I do feel better afterwards. I have not kept up with this type of ritual but I wonder what Tibetan Medicine says about this type of water therapy as it seems that it would be naturally a rather good way to cleanse the body?

Thank you.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

sangyey wrote:Namdrol, in terms of cleansing the body, someone suggested to drink 8 glasses of water when you wake up (perhaps Chinese influence) and I have tried this a few times and notice that I do feel better afterwards. I have not kept up with this type of ritual but I wonder what Tibetan Medicine says about this type of water therapy as it seems that it would be naturally a rather good way to cleanse the body?

Thank you.
That sounds to me like a terrible idea and bad for the kidneys, if done regularly; done on occasion, and making sure the water is warm (boiled then cooled to drinking tempurature) it might be of some benefit, especially if someone is prone to stones.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Adamantine wrote:Namdrol, in TM is ashwagandha also considered a helpful herb to rebuild ojas?
Yes, but better to take it in the preperation called dashmula which you can easily find which was other building herbs in it.

N
sangyey

Post by sangyey »

The whole point of Ayurveda and Tibetan Medicine is to refine and purify ojas in the body for longevity etc. In Tibetan the term ojas is translated as "mdangs".
There was a thread I started in the Tibetan Buddhist forum 'propelling and completing karma' and someone had mentioned that the purpose of long life ceremonies is not to extend the life past what the projecting karma projected but rather to clear obstacles that might shorten that projection. Can Ayurveda be taken in the same way where it will just clear any impurities or obstacles that may prevent the full projection or is there no restrictive barriers like that?
Pema Rigdzin

Post by Pema Rigdzin »

Namdrol wrote:
Yes, but better to take it in the preperation called which you can easily find which was other building herbs in it.

N
Namdrol,

1) Is one of these two "dasamoola" preparations the one you're talking about: http://www.trihealthayurveda.com/lehyam ... a_Harithak" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

2) Can you recommend Banyan Botanicals? They offer a 1/2lb of whole dashamula here for $14: http://www.banyanbotanicals.com/prodinf ... 5&mitem=20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

3) Lastly, would whole or powdered dashmula be best?
Pema Rigdzin/Brian Pittman
Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

Namdrol wrote:
Starts next tuesday.
Namdrol, I found this below link via google, but when I hit the link it goes to the website for the anytime- cleanse and doesn't give any info about following it on these dates..
Fall Colorado Cleanse: October 11-24, 2011
http://www.lifespa.com/cc_now.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Join our 2-week at home detox and digestive reset program this Oct 11-24, 2011 which will be guided by John Douillard, DC.
\

I assumed the fall cleanse would be different then the spring one, and the link description sounds like it is guided in real-time.. but the link goes to just the anytime-cleanse..are you following this and do you have any insight?

Also-- in regards to the two options they give you for the warm-digest formula or the cool digest-- I am not sure which would suit me because I have symptoms that could indicate either-- any thoughts?

Thanks!
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Adamantine wrote:
Namdrol wrote:
Starts next tuesday.
Namdrol, I found this below link via google, but when I hit the link it goes to the website for the anytime- cleanse and doesn't give any info about following it on these dates..
Fall Colorado Cleanse: October 11-24, 2011
http://www.lifespa.com/cc_now.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Join our 2-week at home detox and digestive reset program this Oct 11-24, 2011 which will be guided by John Douillard, DC.
\

I assumed the fall cleanse would be different then the spring one, and the link description sounds like it is guided in real-time.. but the link goes to just the anytime-cleanse..are you following this and do you have any insight?

Also-- in regards to the two options they give you for the warm-digest formula or the cool digest-- I am not sure which would suit me because I have symptoms that could indicate either-- any thoughts?

Thanks!

Go for the warm digest.
Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

Namdrol wrote:
Adamantine wrote:

Thanks!

Go for the warm digest.
Ok, thanks... and what about the dates-- are those just recommended dates to do the "anytime-cleanse"?
Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

Namdrol wrote: The week long cleanse in the rgyud bzhi is fine, very simple, but, in my opinion, is a little too simple. It is for a time when people were less toxified in general.
Also, the Colorado Cleanse looks great, but since finances are a bit tight the $230 fee is a bit steep for me. I am seriously considering it, although at this point I would have to start a little later than Tues.. However, is it possible for you to give a basic outline of the cleanse in the rgyud bzhi, as an alternative DIY option?
rose
Site Admin

Post by rose »

MODERATOR NOTE

After numerous requests not to turn the Tibetan Medicine sub forum into one where general discussions take place several posts in this topic have been removed. It would be appreciated if everyone adhere to the Guidelines for this forum which are:
Will members of Dharma Wheel please note the Tibetan Medicine Forum is not a general discussion forum.

It was created so members could ask questions of and receive answers from qualified Tibetan Medicine practitioners. The only person currently recognised by Dharma Wheel as being qualified in the field of Tibetan Medicine is Namdrol.

Members wishing to discuss medical practices or receive general answers and suggestions are free to post in other forums, for example Lounge, Help Required, Personal Experience and Engaged Buddhism for example, but please keep the Tibetan Medicine forum free of all general discussion, posts of this nature will be removed without further notice.

Thank you for your cooperation.

The Team
Regards,
rose
Site Admin

Post by rose »

PLEASE NOTE

A new topic with the removed posts can now be found here

Regards,
Pema Rigdzin

Post by Pema Rigdzin »

Namdrol,

1) Is one of these two "dasamoola" preparations the one you're talking about: http://www.trihealthayurveda.com/lehyam ... a_Harithak" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

2) Can you recommend Banyan Botanicals? They offer a 1/2lb of whole dashamula here for $14: http://www.banyanbotanicals.com/prodinf ... 5&mitem=20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

3) Lastly, would whole or powdered dashmula be best?
Pema Rigdzin

Post by Pema Rigdzin »

Namdrol,

You recommended dashmoola for building ojas.

1) Dashmoola Harithaki or Dashmoola Rasayanam? (i.e. http://www.trihealthayurveda.com/lehyam ... a_Harithak" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

2) What is your opinion of Siddhi Energetics "jing builder" instead?

3) Can any of these be taken concurrently with bimala?

Return to “Tibetan Medicine”