Mantra & Medicine

A forum for all questions about Tibetan Medicine. No more posting in this forum until further notice.
dakini_boi

Mantra & Medicine

Post by dakini_boi »

I'm wondering, what makes a mantra particularly effective in treating physical imbalances? For example, the vajra armor mantra is supposed to be effective to treat the "404 diseases" - is this presumably because it repels the 8 classes of spirits? If this is the case, then wouldn't Dorje Drollo or Vajrakilaya practice be just as effective? Yet I know that accomplished Vajrakilaya or Dorje Drollo siddhas may still do vajra armor for "healing" purposes.

Another question is - in what case(s) is mantra sufficient alone for healing, and in what case(s) are physical medicines also required - how would a Tibetan doctor determine this?

Thank you
Malcolm

Re: Mantra & Medicine

Post by Malcolm »

dakini_boi wrote:I'm wondering, what makes a mantra particularly effective in treating physical imbalances? For example, the vajra armor mantra is supposed to be effective to treat the "404 diseases" - is this presumably because it repels the 8 classes of spirits? If this is the case, then wouldn't Dorje Drollo or Vajrakilaya practice be just as effective? Yet I know that accomplished Vajrakilaya or Dorje Drollo siddhas may still do vajra armor for "healing" purposes.

Another question is - in what case(s) is mantra sufficient alone for healing, and in what case(s) are physical medicines also required - how would a Tibetan doctor determine this?

Thank you

You can use the mani for healing, if you are a mani siddha. All mantras ultimate can be used for healing. But some mantras have a specialized function for this, and Vajra armor is one such mantra.

If you go to a Tibetan doctor, one assumes that your mantra is not working so well.

N

Return to “Tibetan Medicine”