Bodhisattva Doctrine in Buddhist Sanskrit Literature

Recommend, review and discuss dharma books here.
Nicholas Weeks

Bodhisattva Doctrine in Buddhist Sanskrit Literature

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

By Har Dayal and first published in 1932. I never read it and wonder if it is too dated to be of value now or has he any unusual insights that are little emphasized today?
May all seek, find & follow the Path of Buddhas.
pueraeternus

Re: Bodhisattva Doctrine in Buddhist Sanskrit Literature

Post by pueraeternus »

Will wrote:By Har Dayal and first published in 1932. I never read it and wonder if it is too dated to be of value now or has he any unusual insights that are little emphasized today?
It is wonderful. Indeed a bit outdated, but a good scholarly work overall. Note that Har Dayal is/was a Hindu nationalist, so you might catch a whiff of that in his writing (when he talks about Buddhist doctrines), but it's does not distract from the overall soundness of the work.
"Men must want to do things out of their own innermost drives. People, not commercial organizations or chains of command, are what make great civilizations work. Every civilization depends upon the quality of the individuals it produces. If you over-organize humans, over-legalize them, suppress their urge to greatness - they cannot work and their civilization collapses."
- A letter to CHOAM, attributed to the Preacher
Nicholas Weeks

Re: Bodhisattva Doctrine in Buddhist Sanskrit Literature

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

pueraeternus wrote:
Will wrote:By Har Dayal and first published in 1932. I never read it and wonder if it is too dated to be of value now or has he any unusual insights that are little emphasized today?
It is wonderful. Indeed a bit outdated, but a good scholarly work overall. Note that Har Dayal is/was a Hindu nationalist, so you might catch a whiff of that in his writing (when he talks about Buddhist doctrines), but it's does not distract from the overall soundness of the work.
Thank you - I will add it to my wish list.
May all seek, find & follow the Path of Buddhas.

Return to “Book Reviews”