Dakini Power: Buddhist Women Speak Out

Recommend, review and discuss dharma books here.
plwk

Dakini Power: Buddhist Women Speak Out

Post by plwk »

Bent on enlightenment, wrathful and playful, a dakini seduces, wills, and tugs practitioners toward wisdom. Dakini Power, a recent book by German journalist Michaela Haas, explores the feminine dakini ideal as a force for institutional change. In a historically male hierarchy, modern female teachers are transforming Tibetan Buddhism, tugging it toward greater acknowledgement of female ability and accomplishment.
More from Buddhist Door International's review here

The Book's site here
Luke

Re: Dakini Power: Buddhist Women Speak Out

Post by Luke »

This book might be interesting, but I would find a book about female Buddhist teachers from many different Buddhist traditions more interesting.
Does such a book exist? (A hint to all you Buddhist writers out there! :D )
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

Luke wrote:This book might be interesting, but I would find a book about female Buddhist teachers from many different Buddhist traditions more interesting.
Does such a book exist? (A hint to all you Buddhist writers out there! :D )
See: Turning the Wheel: Women Creating the New Buddhism (good book with a weak title) by Sandy Boucher

there are a number of other examples. The Boucher book is a classic
tlee

Post by tlee »

These are just another expression of sexism. I hope you all realize this.
Luke

Post by Luke »

tlee wrote:These are just another expression of sexism. I hope you all realize this.
Well, perhaps if one takes an extreme point of view, then that might be true, but I think that the reality is that men are oppressed in certain situations and women are oppressed in others. Both genders experience the problems of samsara, and I think that if these kinds of books get more women interested in Buddhism, then this is generally a good thing.

May people of both genders attain enlightenment swiftly! :) :namaste:
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

tlee wrote:These are just another expression of sexism. I hope you all realize this.
Prove it.
Luke wrote: Both genders experience the problems of samsara, and I think that if these kinds of books get more women interested in Buddhism, then this is generally a good thing.

May people of both genders attain enlightenment swiftly! :) :namaste:
Well spoken. I'd go further to include those who do not identify with either gender, or with one exclusively, or who are transgender--everyone without exception.
smm

Post by smm »

I love this book! Thanks Michaela. Also, check out this amazing video about "Dakini Power" w/Michaela Haas & Lama Tsultrim Allione a Malibu bookstore: https://vimeo.com/64409587.

Emaho! :thumbsup:
Luke

Post by Luke »

Jikan wrote:I'd go further to include those who do not identify with either gender, or with one exclusively, or who are transgender--everyone without exception.
Yes, you're right. I often forget about types of people who I don't meet very often.
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Not so much types of people, I would suggest. Just types and shades of gender. :smile:
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.

Return to “Book Reviews”