Pilgrimages in the west

Seishin
Former staff member

Pilgrimages in the west

Post by Seishin »

Does anyone in the western world of Tendai go on pilgrimages? I know some groups do a kokorodo but I'm not sure how they differ, if at all.

There's an ancient christian pilgrimage trail in the UK (one of many) that I'd like to walk with our group. It's across some beautiful countryside with holy sites on the way.

Gassho
Seishin
DGA
Former staff member

Re: Pilgrimages in the west

Post by DGA »

We don't yet have the established pilgrimage circuits that exist in Asia, obviously. But the practice is afoot anyway. (ha! afoot!) Not counting the version we practice at TBI, there are at least two established paths: one in the Adirondacks of New York, and the other at California Tendai Monastery.

http://www.caltendai.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://adirondacktendai.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Doko, if you're reading this: do you guys practice kokorodo at all? I'd think Colorado would be a natural one for this.
Seishin
Former staff member

Post by Seishin »

Jikan wrote: But the practice is afoot anyway. (ha! afoot!)
:ban:

:rolling: :rolling:
Doko

Post by Doko »

The mountains in Colorado have many beautiful and special places that have become stops during our Kokorodo. It is taking shape naturally as time passes and we continue our practice. Innen-san has a new book on the way on walking meditation. I believe the preview is available on the Red Maple Sangha site.

Doko
Doko

Post by Doko »

I checked Innen's site and there is an issue with the link.

I believe this one will work though:

1.5. Read part of Innen’s new book Walk Like A Mountain
http://www.realperson.com/tendaicanada/ ... n-main.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Seishin
Former staff member

Post by Seishin »

Awesome! Thanks Doko :twothumbsup:

Gassho,
Seishin
Doko

Post by Doko »

My pleasure Seishin.

Monshin Sensei has pointed out to us more than once that there could potentially be a bigger course at the Betsuin in NY for outdoor walking meditation. Now all I have to do is convince Jikan to take three years off of work to move to NY and help me clear the course. :jawdrop:
Seishin
Former staff member

Post by Seishin »

Three years :shock: Holy moly!
Doko

Post by Doko »

I really don't know how long it would take.
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

If I'm the project manager, then it would take at least three years.

Bracketing all that, I think this is a practice that can make a real contribution to life in North America, Europe, and elsewhere. I'd like to see it flourish, and I'm glad to see Innen's promoting it.
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Jikan wrote: Bracketing all that, I think this is a practice that can make a real contribution to life in North America, Europe, and elsewhere. I'd like to see it flourish, and I'm glad to see Innen's promoting it.
It would be exceptional if this were established in North America.

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
Doko

Post by Doko »

I remember Monshin Sensei saying that the ability to Ordain folks here in the States in our tradition was more of a dream meaning it wasn't likely to happen quickly and maybe it never would. It did happen, and here we are! I believe that the Tendai Pilgrimages are in the same catagory. Although it seems like a lot of work will have to be done for this to happen, it is possible.

~ Who knows, we may see this in our lifetime. I have my fingers crossed.(Mikkyo pun intended here)

Return to “Tendai”