Is taking medication a sin?

A forum for those wishing to discuss Buddhist history and teachings in the Western academic manner, referencing appropriate sources.
waqqaskhokhar

Post by waqqaskhokhar »

I am an academic researching this topic from the point of view of patients asked to take medication which may have religiously forbidden ingredients e.g. Gelatine or stearic acid.
Would like to know that in the context of vegetarianism being accepted practice in many Buddhist traditions, is there any dietary law that prohibits any specific animals or use of animal products in medication?
Would appreciate comments, suggestions for further reading or expert opinions.
DGA
Former staff member

Re: Is taking medication a sin?

Post by DGA »

Sin? Forbidden? If you're looking for analogies to the Law as in Abrahamic faiths, you're going to be frustrated. Buddhism isn't quite like that.

So you can see what I mean, take a look at this discussion on vegetarianism. Budget a few hours. Several hours.

http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=213" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

waqqaskhokhar wrote:I am an academic researching this topic from the point of view of patients asked to take medication which may have religiously forbidden ingredients e.g. Gelatine or stearic acid.
Would like to know that in the context of vegetarianism being accepted practice in many Buddhist traditions, is there any dietary law that prohibits any specific animals or use of animal products in medication?
Hopefully Namdrol will respond as he is a Tibetan Doctor
  • How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
Konchog1

Post by Konchog1 »

waqqaskhokhar wrote:I am an academic researching this topic from the point of view of patients asked to take medication which may have religiously forbidden ingredients e.g. Gelatine or stearic acid.
As far as I know, any medication is fine. Some Buddhists who are vegetarians avoid medications with animal products but that's because they're vegetarian, not because they're Buddhist.
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Nope, the traditional Buddhist medicine is Ayurveda and there are kinds of meat, as well as urines, feces, etc., recommended as remedies for diseases in Ayurvedic texts as well as texts on Tibetan Medicine.
AdmiralJim

Post by AdmiralJim »

I am trained in western medicine, the short answer is no. However some Buddhists might be put off taking things with animal products but it is a personal choice not a Buddhist one. where you might find a more unified opinion is of that of abortion and euthanasia but even then it wouldn't affect my treatment of people who wanted those things.
I don't know where we are going but it will be nice when we get there
Greg

Post by Greg »

I suppose there is the issue of monastics eating garlic and so forth, but even that is not a terribly big deal I don't think.
Wesley1982

Post by Wesley1982 »

No.
Knotty Veneer

Post by Knotty Veneer »

Only if it doesn't belong to you :lol:
This is not the wrong life.
Dexing