Can one benefit from doing only breathing meditation?

Discussion of meditation in the Mahayana and Vajrayana traditions.
Ervin

Can one benefit from doing only breathing meditation?

Post by Ervin »

Hi, I am not a Buddhist but I like a lots of suff that Buddhism teaches. Like one of my favourite ethicists is a monk called Hsing Yun, his book being good is to me probably the best book on ethics. I am like an Omnist, I believe there is truth everywhere.

Anyway, I plan on ordering two books from Hsing Yun. One of them is a book on meditation called Only the great rain since I plan on meditating.

Now my question is: Is it beneficial doing only breathing meditation or wich is called mindfullness meditationI think?

Thanks
Grigoris
Former staff member

Re: Can one benefit from doing only breathing meditation?

Post by Grigoris »

Ervin wrote:Now my question is: Is it beneficial doing only breathing meditation or wich is called mindfullness meditationI think?
Anapanasati is the correct term. Sati means mindfulness, Anpana means breath. Mindfulness of breath. An extraordinarily beneficial practice. I practiced anapanasati, solely, for about 12 years. It is a fantastic form of meditation which is beneficial for all "personality" types. I cannot even begin to tell you how beneficial it is.

The following are links to a number of free pdf books on the technique:
http://www.noblepath.info/recommended_b ... athing.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/anapanasati.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Theravadra Sutta that the technique is based on:
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:namaste:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Ervin

Post by Ervin »

I believe you Greg. Meditation, like any other work on improving ourselves should have good results. I have just ordered two books, one of them is called:"Only the great rain" written by master Hsing Yun, wich is a Buddhist meditation book . I think he is more into I don't know how you classify it but the meditation were you are not going through stories in your head if you know what I mean.

Anyway, I think being persistent on daily basis is very important.

Oh, and thanks for the PDF!

Thanks
Wesley1982

Post by Wesley1982 »

Natural breathing techniques do not neccessarily have to be Buddhist.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Your point being?

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
Wesley1982

Post by Wesley1982 »

natural breathing technique is not exclusively Buddhist.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Well thanks for clearing up that issue for me! If I did not understand your point when you said it the first time, what makes you think I will understand it if you just repeat yourself? Please remind me not to enter into discussion with you again.

Wesley1982

Post by Wesley1982 »

Ok, sure.
Spirituality

Post by Spirituality »

The only type of person I know of who won't benefit from breathing meditation are people, like me, with issues with breathing, which make it harder to calm down when trying to focuss on the breath than without. Just try it: calming meditation (of which breathing meditation is the most used form) is the basis of all other types.
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Spirituality wrote:The only type of person I know of who won't benefit from breathing meditation are people, like me, with issues with breathing, which make it harder to calm down when trying to focuss on the breath than without. Just try it: calming meditation (of which breathing meditation is the most used form) is the basis of all other types.
What do you mean 'issues with breathing'?
May all seek, find & follow the Path of Buddhas.
Spirituality

Post by Spirituality »

Will wrote:
Spirituality wrote:The only type of person I know of who won't benefit from breathing meditation are people, like me, with issues with breathing, which make it harder to calm down when trying to focuss on the breath than without. Just try it: calming meditation (of which breathing meditation is the most used form) is the basis of all other types.
What do you mean 'issues with breathing'?
Respitory problems. Suffice to say that on and off trying to focuss on my breath makes it shallower and actually decreases my calm. I guess it's related to sometimes (more off than on) suffering from hyperventilation. I think Thubten Chodron somewhere made a connection with childhood illnesses. I picked up on that because I frequently had bronchitis as a kid.

Return to “Meditation”