16 Arhat Meditation

kirtu
Former staff member

16 Arhat Meditation

Post by kirtu »

Here is the text of the 16 Arhat puja from the Sakya tradition.

Kirt
16arhat.pdf
(357.16 KiB) Downloaded 505 times
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
Wesley1982

Re: 16 Arhat Meditation

Post by Wesley1982 »

The first I read of a Arhat was described in my book about the venerable Gotama Buddha.
kirtu
Former staff member

Re: 16 Arhat Meditation

Post by kirtu »

Wesley1982 wrote:The first I read of a Arhat was described in my book about the venerable Gotama Buddha.
Yes, an Arhat is a being who is personally liberated from samsara: they eliminated the causes of rebirth from their mindsteam. However in the Mahayana this is not seen as full liberation as they didn't continue to train to full Buddhahood.

In the 16 Arhats text, the Arhats are actually Bodhisattvas who are appearing as Arhats in order to preserve and spread the Buddhdharma.

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche

Return to “Sakya”