Melong Mirror Divination

Discuss any health or dietary topics which lie outside mainstream Western medical thinking, from Ayurveda to Reiki.
Blue Garuda

Melong Mirror Divination

Post by Blue Garuda »

I have done a little research and some practice with the Melong.

A useful pdf: http://www.nicholaswood.net/Articles/Sh ... irrors.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Melong or Toli mirror is used for divination but also in diagnosis and treatment of illness. I have only used it for divination but there is no DW forum for Shamanism per se.

The Mongolian mirrors can be flat, as are many Japanese and Chinese variants, and may representative of equanimity, as opposed to the dished design. Mirror divination used within Buddhism and also in other religions and cultures. Sometimes a bowl of water acts as the mirror, and somethimes a pre-pubescent child is asked to describe what they see, which is then interpreted by the Master.

The Tibetan Melong is convex. The concave side faces the body and focuses positive energy into the body and can 'house' the spirits and deities the practitioner uses, again acting as a focus.

The convex external side reflects bad energy and bad spirits away and the reflection of the sick person is used in diagnosis. Water may be poured over the reflection of the person or object in the mirror as a blessing, and water may be placed within it for blessing.

It is a fascinating study.

I keep just falling over things I have wished for. Just browsing in a market in Bath this afternoon I came across an old Melong divination mirror brought back from the Himalayas by a couple who were travelling there. If I'd had the mirror beforehand I would have been able to divine where to find it! LOL :) It is part of shamanistic tradition that a shaman will find his Melong if one is not passed down to him. I was on a bit of a quest but hadn't thought it would be so easy! Here it is. It is now a little shinier but still has a nice old patina:

Left
Wesley1982

Re: Melong Mirror Divination

Post by Wesley1982 »

Cool. I wouldn't do that by myself though - you need a experienced guide or teacher to show you the correct way.
Blue Garuda

Post by Blue Garuda »

Wesley1982 wrote:Cool. I wouldn't do that by myself though - you need a experienced guide or teacher to show you the correct way.
Yes. Wise counsel. :)

When we open any 'door' during practice we must have control over what enters and what the outcome may be.

I understand that Lama Dawa saw images and writing from an early age - and also had guidance on how to use those visions in divination for the benefit of others.
Left
Blue Garuda

Post by Blue Garuda »

made myself a melong for wearing to complement the larger ones I also use:

Left
zangskar

Post by zangskar »

Nice melongs you got, and the manner in which you found the first one! and very interesting article! :twothumbsup:

Wouldn't it be better to fix the small one to your clothes so you are sure which side is pointing out?
Best wishes
Lars
Blue Garuda

Post by Blue Garuda »

zangskar wrote:Nice melongs you got, and the manner in which you found the first one! and very interesting article! :twothumbsup:

Wouldn't it be better to fix the small one to your clothes so you are sure which side is pointing out?
Best wishes
Lars
It's attached so that the convex side is always outwards, unless I do something pretty wild. :)

Sone shamans have many Melongs with a pierced central boss to attach them to their coat, so they would certainly move about a lot. That's why I made one with a hole at the top. Under a shirt it does not move. :)
Left
Bonsai Doug

Post by Bonsai Doug »

Blue Garuda - just took a quick look around your website - nicely done.

Really enjoyed the video on malas by Tsem Tulku. He's a hoot!
Now having obtained a precious human body,
I do not have the luxury of remaining on a distracted path.

~ Tibetan Book of the Dead
Blue Garuda

Post by Blue Garuda »

Bonsai Doug wrote:Blue Garuda - just took a quick look around your website - nicely done.

Really enjoyed the video on malas by Tsem Tulku. He's a hoot!
Thanks. :)

There's a PhD thesis on Garuda medicine practice I hope to link to in the near future.

Tsem Tulku isn't everyone's taste but I know the serious practitioner underneath and think his choice of 'performance' as a means of teaching is great!
Left

Return to “Alternative Health”