Bodhisattva Hsuan Hua

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Nicholas Weeks

Re: Bodhisattva Hsuan Hua

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

A bit touchy Layman - well mala practice may help.

Try googling "how to use a mala"
May all seek, find & follow the Path of Buddhas.
Nicholas Weeks

Spring at CTTB

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

One of the major centers founded by Master Hua is the City of 10,000 Buddhas, near Ukiah, California. Here is how the grounds looked in 2012:

http://www.cttbusa.org/springtime/cttb.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Huifeng

Post by Huifeng »

**** Don't try this at home! ****

Well, one story of Master Hua's use of a mala was soaking a large mala in parafin, putting it around his neck Abbot style, and setting it alight. One can see the burn marks on his chest in a few pictures. I remember Ven. Dharmamitra Hengshou - his close disciple - mentioning this too.

**** Don't try this at home! ****

~~ Huifeng
plwk

Post by plwk »

I have always wondered what was that all about...
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Live broadcast of the 50th anniversary of Master's bringing the Dharma to the West. Many doings starting 8am Saturday, 23 June through Sunday:

http://www.drba.org/live/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Webcast now broadcasting, but audio is not stable at 8:13am Pacific time.
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Here is rest of today's schedule: http://www.cttbusa.org/pdf2012/dharma50 ... ry2012.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Below the live webcast of Sunday, 24 June, are the Livestream archives from yesterday: http://www.drba.org/live/#archive" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

A few Dharma Gems from the Master: http://www.dharmabliss.org/abbot.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Some links to the life & teachings of Master Hua: http://cttbusa.org/founder.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
remm

Post by remm »

Those of you interested in knowing what an American's perspective was like when with the Ven. Master Hsuan Hua can view this link here: http://buddhadharma.com/media/WS700374.MP3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

These two individuals were former monks under Master Hsuan Hua. Richard Josephson was also known as Heng Kung (constantly empty), and the other Fred Klarer was Heng Shou (not Bhikshu Dharmamitra).

Fairly long talk, but very interesting and it provides insight on how American's first reacted to Master Hua and their experience with him. It is certainly worth listening to if you have some time.
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

remm wrote:Those of you interested in knowing what an American's perspective was like when with the Ven. Master Hsuan Hua can view this link here: http://buddhadharma.com/media/WS700374.MP3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

These two individuals were former monks under Master Hsuan Hua. Richard Josephson was also known as Heng Kung (constantly empty), and the other Fred Klarer was Heng Shou (not Bhikshu Dharmamitra).

Fairly long talk, but very interesting and it provides insight on how American's first reacted to Master Hua and their experience with him. It is certainly worth listening to if you have some time.
Actually Fred was Kuo Hu (lay) and Heng Shoou as bhikshu. He and Heng Shou were contemporaries, so they could not have the same name.

By the way, there is no video, only audio?
remm

Post by remm »

Will wrote:
remm wrote:Those of you interested in knowing what an American's perspective was like when with the Ven. Master Hsuan Hua can view this link here: http://buddhadharma.com/media/WS700374.MP3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Actually Fred was Kuo Hu (lay) and Heng Shoou as bhikshu. He and Heng Shou were contemporaries, so they could not have the same name.

By the way, there is no video, only audio?
Oh, thank you for the clarification. I just heard Fred talking and it sounded like he said "Heng Shou". I've never met Fred, but I have met Richard at the City recently during the 50th Anniversary. He's a very nice man.

I haven't seen the video, maybe you can request it from Richard and hope he puts it up on his website. Have you listened to this talk before, Will? It is really interesting to hear some of Shr Fu's western disciples relay their experience.
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

No remm I have not heard it and I just wrote to Richard to see if the video version is available.
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

A 30 minute video introduction to the life-work of Master Hua:

http://www.buddhistmedia.org/Master-Hua ... 0_408_.mp4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kaji

Post by Kaji »

Huifeng wrote:Basic question:

What was Master Hua's main form of meditation practice?

I recall asking one of his disciples about this some time ago, but maybe my memory is getting blurry.
Now, I'm aware that he taught many forms, and probably mastered many forms, but what was the one that really got him there in the end?

~~ Huifeng
I have read a fair number of extracts of Ven Hsuan Hua's teachings. Indeed he spoke about many forms of practice, including Chan. However, it seems he particularly stressed the chanting of the Shurangama Dharani. People have said that Ven Hsuan Hua had already become one with this dharani.

Some people say Ven Hsuan Hua is a manifestation of Avalokitesvara Bodhisattva. I wouldn't be surprised. He has extensively taught many practices related to Avalokitesvara, especially the Great Compassion Dharani with the "42 hand-and-eye practice". He has also taught people to recite the names of Avalokitesvara and Amitabha (nienfo).
Namas triya-dhvikānāṃ sarva tathāgatānām!
remm

Post by remm »

The Venerable Master Hua practiced Ch`an meditation. There is a record of this that was written by Venerable Master Hua himself:

"In the fall of 1946, in the middle of the eighth lunar month, I packed my bags and set out with two disciples, Guo Neng and Guo Shun. (I have no news of Guo Neng. Guo Shun cremated himself as an offering to the Buddhas.) *Side note: Guo Shun was one of the Master's first disciples who was very vigorous in meditation and his Ch`an Samadhi was praised highly by the Master. His main practice was the recitation of the Great Compassion Mantra and Ch`an. He made a vow to cremate himself before the Buddhas as he wished to emulate Medicine King Bodhisattva who offered his body to the Buddhas. After his cremation, his mala beads and heart was left untouched by the fire* We headed for Coaxi, wishing to draw near Venerable Master Yun. The journey was arduous. We walked during the day and rested at night, sometimes travelling even at night, until we reached Prajna Monastery in Changchun (which was called Xinjing, "New Capital," during the Manchu Empire regime). My two disciples remained at the monastery, waiting to receive full ordination the following year. Without carrying any extra clothes or luggage (the clothes I wore didn't exceed five pounds), I traveled alone towards the interior.

When I reached Tianjin, I stayed at the Great Compassion temple and heard Elder Dharma Master Tanxu lecture on the Shurangama Sutra. I met Dharma Master Tijing and rode in the same boat with him to Proper Enlightenment Monastery in Hubei. Also travelling with us were Dharma Masters Shengzhao, Shengmiao, Zhaoding, Yuanxiang, Renhui, Benzhi, Jiaozhi, Yongling, Lingguan, jingjie, and others. I composed a verse which goes,
Fourteen monks rode in the same boat.
Honored and noble were they; only I was poor.
Donned in ragged robes, I ate one meal and had no extra possessions.
People could scold and slander me as they pleased.

At that monastery, I performed austerities and chores such as cleaning, boiling water, tending the garden, watching the door, taking care of the Buddha-hall, and serving as a verger. My skill in Ch`an samadhi increased greatly."

Also, I think our tradition follows the Tiantai classification of the Mahayana Sutras. Although the Master did emphasize the memorization of the Surangama mantra, at the end of the day he stressed a lot on Ch`an meditation and the method of reflecting inwards to change one's habits/faults and to also hold on the 'hua-tou'.

I can't remember the exact quote, but I always hear the monks and nuns say this phrase in DRBA way-places. I'm paraphrasing now since I can't remember it exactly, but it goes something like... "This bodhi-manda is the Avatamsaka dharma realm, Surangama assembly... and 42 hands and eyes something..." doesn't help at all, I hope someone can correct me (Will?)
plwk

Post by plwk »

Can anyone here link or give a summary as to what actually transpired between the Master/CTTB and the 16th Karmapa back then?
remm

Post by remm »

*Deleted my original post. Someone else can post it.*
remm

Post by remm »

"The Flower Adornment Dharma Assembly, the Shurangama Platform and the forty-two hands and eyes establish the Heavens and the Earth. The World Honored Ones of WOnderful Enlightenment and the Bodhisattvas of Equal Enlightenment, with a billion transformation bodies, can turn oceans into mountains."

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”