Benefits of Medicine Buddha Mantra

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
phantom59

Benefits of Medicine Buddha Mantra

Post by phantom59 »

The Medicine Buddha encompasses all the buddhas. This means that when we
practice the seven-limb prayer and make offerings with the seven limbs, we
receive the same merit as we would if we had made offerings to all the buddhas.
Similarly, when we recite the mantra of Medicine Buddha, we collect unbelievable
merit just as when we offer the seven-limb practice to Medicine Buddha.

To recite the Medicine Buddha mantra brings inconceivable merit. Manjushri
requested the eight tathagatas Guru Shakyamuni Buddha and the seven Medicine
Buddhas to reveal a special mantra that would make the prayers the eight
tathagatas made in the past prayers to be able to actualize the happiness of
sentient beings by attaining the path to enlightenment and pacifying various
problems, to be able to see all the buddhas, and for all wishes to be quickly
realized to quickly come to pass, especially for those sentient beings born in
the time of the five degenerations who have small merit and who are possessed
and overwhelmed by various diseases and spirit harms.

During that time, all the eight tathagatas, in one voice, taught the Medicine
Buddha mantra. Therefore, if you recite the mantra every day, the buddhas and
bodhisattvas will always pay attention to you, and they will guide you.
Vajrapani, owner of the secrets, and the four guardians will always protect and
guide you. All your negative karmas will be pacified, and you will never be born
in the three lower realms. Even just hearing a recitation of the names of the
eight tathagatas pacifies all diseases and spirit harms even spirit harms that
arise as a condition of disease and all your wishes are fulfilled.

Long Mantra Recitation

OM NAMO BHAGAVATE BHEKHANDZYE / GURU BAIDURYA / PRABHA RADZAYA / TATHAGATAYA /
ARHATE SAMYAKSAM BUDDHAYA / TADYATHA / OM BHEKHANDZYE BHEKHANDZYE MAHA
BHEKHANDZYE BHEKHANDZYE / RADZA SAMUDGATE SVAHA

Short Mantra Recitation

TADYATHA OM BHEKHANDZYE BHEKHANDZYE MAHA BHEKHANDZYE BHEKHANDZYE RADZA
SAMUDGATE
Sheila

Re: Benefits of Medicine Buddha Mantra

Post by Sheila »

muni

Post by muni »

Thank you deeply for pointing to DHARMA. :namaste:

TADYATHA OM BHEKHANDZYE BHEKHANDZYE MAHA BHEKHANDZYE BHEKHANDZYE RADZA
SAMUDGATE SVAHA
Clcyuely

Post by Clcyuely »

Thank you deeply for pointing to DHARMA.
Me,too. :good:
Rakz

Post by Rakz »

Why do mantras always promise "unlimited benefits" such as wealth, happiness etc. I've been practicing the nembutsu for quite some time and haven't really noticed any major changes in my life, but then again I only recite to gain birth for Buddhahood. Do people really feel their lives are changing once they take up the practice of reciting a mantra?
heart

Post by heart »

Nighthawk wrote:Why do mantras always promise "unlimited benefits" such as wealth, happiness etc. I've been practicing the nembutsu for quite some time and haven't really noticed any major changes in my life, but then again I only recite to gain birth for Buddhahood. Do people really feel their lives are changing once they take up the practice of reciting a mantra?
It isn't about reciting a mantra, a sadhana is quite a lot more than that, at least in the Tibetan tradition. It does change your life.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Blue Garuda

Post by Blue Garuda »

A previous introductory thread about mantras etc:

http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=1241" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A mantra may be seen as a condensed version of an extensive practice such as this Medicine Buddha one, which is freely available form the FPMT:

http://www.fpmt.org/images/stories/educ ... trbklt.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Left
Dharmabrother

Post by Dharmabrother »

So in doing a manyra like dzambhala, im supposed to visualize what? the deity, or what I want to happen?
Pero

Post by Pero »

Nighthawk wrote:Why do mantras always promise "unlimited benefits" such as wealth, happiness etc. I've been practicing the nembutsu for quite some time and haven't really noticed any major changes in my life, but then again I only recite to gain birth for Buddhahood.
What do you mean?
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
heart

Post by heart »

Dharmabrother wrote:So in doing a manyra like dzambhala, im supposed to visualize what? the deity, or what I want to happen?
Depends on what sadhana you do, and that depends on what empowerment you got. Normally you visualize the deity in front of you or you or visualize yourself as the deity or a combination of the two.

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Blue Garuda

Post by Blue Garuda »

Dharmabrother wrote:So in doing a manyra like dzambhala, im supposed to visualize what? the deity, or what I want to happen?
Your question is off-topic, but also you really should take the advice given elsewhere. If you want to embark on the Vajrayana path, people told you how to do so.
It's pretty rude to ignore that and start asking about specific deity practices IMHO. Start with Refuge and Bodhichitta - find a Guru and seek their guidance. ;)
Left
Dharmabrother

Post by Dharmabrother »

Hold on there bro. Way out of line here man.. Im curious. If this is how you treat newbies who are curios.. then I think being a buddhist is not the loving kindness in which its practitioners portray it to be. If ppl like you who are rude to curious seekers on a measly internet fourm, in thr grand scheme of things.. Either you are taking it way too serioisly.. Or youre just a very ride jerk yourself. I
just asked a mantra question.. Chill the hell out.. Were cool on my end :twothumbsup:
Blue Garuda

Post by Blue Garuda »

Dharmabrother wrote:Hold on there bro. Way out of line here man.. Im curious. If this is how you treat newbies who are curios.. then I think being a buddhist is not the loving kindness in which its practitioners portray it to be. If ppl like you who are rude to curious seekers on a measly internet fourm, in thr grand scheme of things.. Either you are taking it way too serioisly.. Or youre just a very ride jerk yourself. I
just asked a mantra question.. Chill the hell out.. Were cool on my end :twothumbsup:

Newbies who are curious receive answers, as you did.

So why ignore them and ask more questions about deity practices? That is rude. Pointing that out to you is not.

Yes, I take Vajrayana seriously - so should you, whether you discuss it on a 'measly' forum or in person with a Guru, as advised.

it is compassionate to advise you correctly. People did.

You are also off-topic. (This is a thread on Medicine Buddha not 'dzambhala').
Left
Rakz

Post by Rakz »

Pero wrote:
Nighthawk wrote:Why do mantras always promise "unlimited benefits" such as wealth, happiness etc. I've been practicing the nembutsu for quite some time and haven't really noticed any major changes in my life, but then again I only recite to gain birth for Buddhahood.
What do you mean?
I mean that I only recite to create the cause for my rebirth in Sukhavati.
Rakz

Post by Rakz »

heart wrote:
Nighthawk wrote:Why do mantras always promise "unlimited benefits" such as wealth, happiness etc. I've been practicing the nembutsu for quite some time and haven't really noticed any major changes in my life, but then again I only recite to gain birth for Buddhahood. Do people really feel their lives are changing once they take up the practice of reciting a mantra?
It isn't about reciting a mantra, a sadhana is quite a lot more than that, at least in the Tibetan tradition. It does change your life.

/magnus
How has it changed yours?
username

Post by username »

Medicine Buddha teaching by lama Zopa:
http://www.fpmt.org/images/stories/teac ... Buddha.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

other teachings and also mantras not needing lung or initiation (unless stated otherwise) for beginners on his fpmt site dedicated to lama yeshe:
http://www.lamayeshe.com/index.php?sect=article&cid=34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Some nice teachings by others here including Tulku Urgyen Rinpoche who always taught like all great Dzogchen masters that Om-Ah-Hung incorporates all the essence, meaning & power of all mantras & can be said by anyone:
http://www.abuddhistlibrary.com/Buddhis ... ddhism.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Welcome to all new comers interested in Tibetan Buddhism including Dharmabrother.
Dzogchen masters I know say: 1)Buddhist religion essence is Dzogchen 2)Religions are positive by intent/fruit 3)Any method's OK unless: breaking Dzogchen vows, mixed as syncretic (Milanese Soup) 4)Don't join mandalas of opponents of Dalai Lama/Padmasambhava: False Deity inventors by encouraging victims 5)Don't debate Ati with others 6)Don't discuss Ati practices online 7) A master told his old disciple: no one's to discuss his teaching with some others on a former forum nor mention him. Publicity's OK, questions are asked from masters/set teachers in person/email/non-public forums~Best wishes
username

Post by username »

Thanks to phantom59 for this & previous posts whose posts used to calm down things here. All the best to her or him.
Dzogchen masters I know say: 1)Buddhist religion essence is Dzogchen 2)Religions are positive by intent/fruit 3)Any method's OK unless: breaking Dzogchen vows, mixed as syncretic (Milanese Soup) 4)Don't join mandalas of opponents of Dalai Lama/Padmasambhava: False Deity inventors by encouraging victims 5)Don't debate Ati with others 6)Don't discuss Ati practices online 7) A master told his old disciple: no one's to discuss his teaching with some others on a former forum nor mention him. Publicity's OK, questions are asked from masters/set teachers in person/email/non-public forums~Best wishes
heart

Post by heart »

Nighthawk wrote:
heart wrote:

/magnus
How has it changed yours?
I was a proud young man that know nothing about Dharma and cared mainly about myself and now I am a middle age man that have confidence in the Dharma and that occasionally think more about others than about myself. Might not seem like a lot, but it is.

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

catmoon
Former staff member

Post by catmoon »

Dharmabrother wrote:Hold on there bro. Way out of line here man.. Im curious. If this is how you treat newbies who are curios.. then I think being a buddhist is not the loving kindness in which its practitioners portray it to be. If ppl like you who are rude to curious seekers on a measly internet fourm, in thr grand scheme of things.. Either you are taking it way too serioisly.. Or youre just a very ride jerk yourself. I
I understand your indignation, however comments like that bolded above are not permitted. There is, at the top of many forums, a pinned post on enlightened discussion that lays out the board position on this.
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
vikas113

Post by vikas113 »

Rakz wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:22 am Why do mantras always promise "unlimited benefits" such as wealth, happiness etc. I've been practicing the nembutsu for quite some time and haven't really noticed any major changes in my life, but then again I only recite to gain birth for Buddhahood. Do people really feel their lives are changing once they take up the practice of reciting a mantra?
I was severely depressed and I have tried all methods out only to fail. Finally, I turned to the Medicine Buddha Mantra and I sincerely recited it for whole 3 weeks before going to the bed. I was cured of depression and mental suffering.

Mantras work if you sincerely recite it without doubting its capacity and the triple gems.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”