building bakeries... in the Himalayas!

Discuss the application of the Dharma to situations of social, political, environmental and economic suffering and injustice.
treehuggingoctopus

building bakeries... in the Himalayas!

Post by treehuggingoctopus »

Well, actually just one bakery (though one could hope...). I'm not sure if 'Engaged Buddhism' is the right place to post it, but posting it certainly deserves:

http://www.indiegogo.com/bakery-in-nepal" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Générosité de l’invisible.
Notre gratitude est infinie.
Le critère est l’hospitalité.

Edmond Jabès
waimengwan

Re: building bakeries... in the Himalayas!

Post by waimengwan »

Thank you for working for the Nepalese community.

Does Nepal grow a lot of the raw ingredients to make bread?

I was in thamel for about 10 days and I really liked the western food places there.
treehuggingoctopus

Post by treehuggingoctopus »

Unfortunately, it's not really me who started the whole thing going but some Polish friends of my friends. So I'm afraid I can't provide you with any details.

But I love the idea.
Générosité de l’invisible.
Notre gratitude est infinie.
Le critère est l’hospitalité.

Edmond Jabès
zangskar

Post by zangskar »

I think wheat is one of the major crops in Nepal. I don't know if the country is self-sufficient today, but bread in various forms have been part of the diet for millenia, i.e. chapatis and so on. It's the Western bread and cakes, and the technology needed to produce it, that is relatively new, or not widespread. There have been bakeries especially "German bakeries" in many of the major tourist places in the Himalayas for some years now. I'm not sure what the story is, but I assume some Germans might have been involved in starting some of the first ones, and somehow not just the products but the title was copied as well. (Found a post with some photos on google http://leibspeise.wordpress.com/2009/12 ... ndu-nepal/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).. But now a Polish/Nepali one for a change! Cool. :twothumbsup:
I was in Syabrubensi about 15 years ago.. would love to come back there. :hi:
Thanks for posting and good luck!
Lars
waimengwan

Post by waimengwan »

Very good work, for polish people to do technology transfer to Nepalis!

Uh Oh normally Germans will bring their beers too :)

Return to “Engaged Buddhism”