The Flesh Eye

Discussion of meditation in the Mahayana and Vajrayana traditions.
Son

The Flesh Eye

Post by Son »

As many of you know, there are five special eyes. The divine eye, the flesh eye, the dharma eye, the wisdom eye, and the final Buddha eye. In the past, my flesh eye has been opened as a result of continuous meditation, which allows you to perceive things clearly or at a distance. During meditation outside today, my flesh eye opened again and I saw myself, I saw the wooden beams of a porch roof, and I saw people talking casually for a moment.

The reason I'm posting this is to see if anyone has any advice in regards to controlling or manipulating the flesh eye. Enhancing it is not what I'm interested in, however, because my meditation will provide that on its own.

Thanks,
Son of Dhamma.
Nothing

Re: The Flesh Eye

Post by Nothing »

Can you explain what these different type of eyes are?
A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha

Post by A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha »

Nothing wrote:Can you explain what these different type of eyes are?
http://www.rigpawiki.org/index.php?title=Five_eyes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pueraeternus

Post by pueraeternus »

In Theravada, the five eyes are a slightly different set:

Buddhacakkhu (Buddha eye)
Dhammacakkhu (Dhamma eye)
Samantacakkhu (universal eye)
Dibbacakhu (divine eye)
Panncakkhu (wisdom eye)

It seems the Samantacakkhu is cognate with the Mamsacaksu (flesh eye).

However, in the Pali Suttas, the divine eye is said to also see vast distances and even a thousand world systems. For e.g. Anuruddha's.
"Men must want to do things out of their own innermost drives. People, not commercial organizations or chains of command, are what make great civilizations work. Every civilization depends upon the quality of the individuals it produces. If you over-organize humans, over-legalize them, suppress their urge to greatness - they cannot work and their civilization collapses."
- A letter to CHOAM, attributed to the Preacher
Son

Post by Son »

pueraeternus wrote:In Theravada, the five eyes are a slightly different set:

Buddhacakkhu (Buddha eye)
Dhammacakkhu (Dhamma eye)
Samantacakkhu (universal eye)
Dibbacakhu (divine eye)
Panncakkhu (wisdom eye)

It seems the Samantacakkhu is cognate with the Mamsacaksu (flesh eye).

However, in the Pali Suttas, the divine eye is said to also see vast distances and even a thousand world systems. For e.g. Anuruddha's.
Yes, this is true. They are the five eyes throughout all the Buddha's teaching. What other special visions could there even be?
So, does anyone have knowledge on how to control or manipulate the flesh eye in practice?
A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha

What did Buddha say ?

Commentary on Chapter 18 "One Substance Regarded as Identical"

"Subhuti, what do you think? Does the Tathagata have the flesh eye?"

"So it is, World Honored One. The Tathagata has the flesh eye."

"Subhuti, what do you think? Does the Tathagata have the heavenly eye?"

"So it is, World Honored One. The Tathagata has the heavenly eye."

"Subhuti, what do you think? Does the Tathagata have the wisdom eye?"

"So it is, World Honored One. The Tathagata has the wisdom eye."

"Subhuti, what do you think? Does the Tathagata have the dharma eye?"

"So it is, World Honored One. The Tathagata has the "the dharma eye

"Subhuti, what do you think? Does the Tathagata have the Buddha eye?"

"So it is, World Honored One. The Tathagata has the Buddha eye."

"Subhuti, what do you think? Has the Tathagata spoken of the sand grains in the Ganges River?"

"So it is, World Honored One. The Tathagata has spoken of that sand."

"Subhuti, what do you think? If all the grains of sand in one Ganges River became an equal number of Ganges Rivers, and all the grains of sand in all those Ganges Rivers became that many Buddhalands. Would they be many?"

"Very many, World Honored One."

The Buddha told Subhuti, "All the various thoughts which occur to all the living beings in all those Buddhalands are completely known by the Tathagata. And why? All thoughts are spoken of by the Tathagata as no thoughts, therefore they are called thoughts. For what reason? Subhuti, past thought cannot be got at, present thought cannot be got at, and future thought cannot be got at."

This chapter starts another round to cut off the doubts of the disciples regarding the fruition and the cultivation in Buddhism. Subhuti doubted and thought that as the fruition of his cultivation, the Buddha possesses the Five Eyes, namely the flesh eye, heavenly eye, wisdom eye, Dharma eye and Buddha eye, therefore there should be things which he can see.

1. Flesh eye - to see people and even ghosts and spirits, objects within several miles without physical obstruction, etc.
2. Heavenly eye - to see everything in the heavens.
3. Wisdom eye - to see things whether it is right or wrong, true or false in all Dharma Realms. As an Arhat, he has the wisdom of �no-self? As a Bodhisattva, he has both the wisdom of �no-self?and �no-Dharma?
4. Dharma eye - to see the reality of all phenomena and Dharma, the subtle relationship between true emptiness and wonderful existence.
5. Buddha eye - possessed by Buddha only, to see all things and Dharma perfectly and completely, without any obstruction.

However, the Buddha said that his Five Eyes are not really eyes, and that he sees by using the minds of living beings. Furthermore, there are uncountable living beings in the uncountable worlds, and the Tathagata knows them all, and sees all their different minds, because these beings are in the Tathagata's own mind. Therefore, when a thought arises and the mind of a being moves, it is Tathagata's own mind which moves.

Subhuti doubted again and thought that since a thought in the mind of a being arises and extinguishes, does the Tathagata experience the same? The Buddha replied that the thoughts in the past, present and future could not be got at. By eliminating the concept of time, the Buddha indicated that the mind of a being is fundamentally absolute and has neither birth nor death, which is the same as the Tathagata's mind. This shows that the mind of Buddha and living beings do not differ from one another.

All thoughts refers to what is going on in the minds of all living beings. No thoughts means that they are not the true heart. Therefore they are called thoughts means they are just the ordinary thoughts in people's minds, nothing more.

With respect to the concept of time, what we call the past is already gone, thus the past does not remain. Similarly, what we refer to as the future has not yet arrived, and so it also cannot be got at. For the present, as soon as we speak of the present, it has already passed, so it too does not remain. Those three kinds of thoughts in the minds of living beings are ultimately unobtainable. The Tathagata completely knows the thoughts in the minds of all living beings.

http://www.buddhistdoor.com/oldweb/pass ... mond10.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not very helpful huh ? Do you have a personal teacher you could ask ? With all the amazing stuff you experience I would hope you had a teacher to help you . This is very unusual stuff for the average person to deal with. You really need a good teacher to guide you Son. :heart:

:namaste: :namaste:
A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha

If you don't have a in the flesh teacher, why not pray directly to Buddha in meditation to help you ?
Son

Post by Son »

Kunga Lhadzom wrote: ... ... ...
This chapter starts another round to cut off the doubts of the disciples regarding the fruition and the cultivation in Buddhism. Subhuti doubted and thought that as the fruition of his cultivation, the Buddha possesses the Five Eyes, namely the flesh eye, heavenly eye, wisdom eye, Dharma eye and Buddha eye, therefore there should be things which he can see.

1. Flesh eye - to see people and even ghosts and spirits, objects within several miles without physical obstruction, etc.
2. Heavenly eye - to see everything in the heavens.
3. Wisdom eye - to see things whether it is right or wrong, true or false in all Dharma Realms. As an Arhat, he has the wisdom of �no-self? As a Bodhisattva, he has both the wisdom of �no-self?and �no-Dharma?
4. Dharma eye - to see the reality of all phenomena and Dharma, the subtle relationship between true emptiness and wonderful existence.
5. Buddha eye - possessed by Buddha only, to see all things and Dharma perfectly and completely, without any obstruction.

However, the Buddha said that his Five Eyes are not really eyes, and that he sees by using the minds of living beings. Furthermore, there are uncountable living beings in the uncountable worlds, and the Tathagata knows them all, and sees all their different minds, because these beings are in the Tathagata's own mind. Therefore, when a thought arises and the mind of a being moves, it is Tathagata's own mind which moves.

Subhuti doubted again and thought that since a thought in the mind of a being arises and extinguishes, does the Tathagata experience the same? The Buddha replied that the thoughts in the past, present and future could not be got at. By eliminating the concept of time, the Buddha indicated that the mind of a being is fundamentally absolute and has neither birth nor death, which is the same as the Tathagata's mind. This shows that the mind of Buddha and living beings do not differ from one another.

All thoughts refers to what is going on in the minds of all living beings. No thoughts means that they are not the true heart. Therefore they are called thoughts means they are just the ordinary thoughts in people's minds, nothing more.

With respect to the concept of time, what we call the past is already gone, thus the past does not remain. Similarly, what we refer to as the future has not yet arrived, and so it also cannot be got at. For the present, as soon as we speak of the present, it has already passed, so it too does not remain. Those three kinds of thoughts in the minds of living beings are ultimately unobtainable. The Tathagata completely knows the thoughts in the minds of all living beings.

http://www.buddhistdoor.com/oldweb/pass ... mond10.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not very helpful huh ? Do you have a personal teacher you could ask ? With all the amazing stuff you experience I would hope you had a teacher to help you . This is very unusual stuff for the average person to deal with. You really need a good teacher to guide you Son. :heart:

:namaste: :namaste:
Thank you. It is an encouraging text. No, I do not have a personal teacher at the moment, which is part of the reason why I have been encouraging my own special vision in recent times. It's also the purpose for this thread I posted. Because the functioning of the flesh eye at this point does require investigation here, and textual sources have not been able to suffice. So I ask if anyone has any experience, or knows of anyone who has experience, or a teacher who has shared anything with them.
lobster

Post by lobster »

The reason I'm posting this is to see if anyone has any advice in regards to controlling or manipulating the flesh eye. Enhancing it is not what I'm interested in, however, because my meditation will provide that on its own.
Any genuine capacity arises with the means to its usage. :popcorn:
Son

Post by Son »

lobster wrote:
Any genuine capacity arises with the means to its usage. :popcorn:
Yes, this is true. In this case, focused concentration. The means is there, But I'm looking for details on how to direct myself to control it with this means.
lobster

Post by lobster »

If you have no legitimate usage, no details will arise.

Return to “Meditation”