Medicine Buddha mantra, sanskrit romanization

Looking for translations, or for help with translations and transliterations? This is the place.
gnegirl

Medicine Buddha mantra, sanskrit romanization

Post by gnegirl »

Ok....

How does one pronouce 'Bhaishjaye '? (pretty sure' bekanze' is probably close, but not exact...)
"Things are not what they appear to be: nor are they otherwise." --Surangama Sutra

Phenomenon, vast as space, dharmata is your base, arising and falling like ocean tide cycles, why do i cling to your illusion of unceasing changlessness?
Malcolm

Re: Medicine Buddha mantra, sanskrit romanization

Post by Malcolm »

gnegirl wrote:Ok....

How does one pronouce 'Bhaishjaye '? (pretty sure' bekanze' is probably close, but not exact...)

Bhai as in "buy"

sha is in "sharp"

jye as in "Jye

I.e. very roughly buy-sha-jye

As it is spelled. Tibetans cannot, in general, pronounce the Sanskrit Ś or Ṣ syllable when it is inside of a word. So they substitute a "kh" syllable i.e. akha for aṣṭa, eight.
gnegirl

Post by gnegirl »

i was reading it as 'baish-ja-yay'

that makes a bit more sense
"Things are not what they appear to be: nor are they otherwise." --Surangama Sutra

Phenomenon, vast as space, dharmata is your base, arising and falling like ocean tide cycles, why do i cling to your illusion of unceasing changlessness?
Kaji

Post by Kaji »

I read bhaiṣajye (or bhaiṣajya) as "bhai-ṣa-jie" (or "bhai-ṣa-jia").

This is the version of Sanskrit transliteration for the Medicine Buddha Mantra:
Namo bhagavate bhaiṣajya-guru-vaiḍūrya-prabha-rājāya tathāgatāya arhate samyak-saṃbuddhāya. Tadyathā, oṃ, bhaiṣajye bhaiṣajye bhaiṣajya-samudgate svāhā.
Namas triya-dhvikānāṃ sarva tathāgatānām!

Return to “Language”