Transfer of Merit / 回向文

Looking for translations, or for help with translations and transliterations? This is the place.
User 3495

Transfer of Merit / 回向文

Post by User 3495 »

I've got a question about the translation of following text for tranference of merit. I've been searching the net for months now and have not found any help for translation of this text. I've bought a chanting book (Tendaishū) some while ago and this is the only text i couldn't find in English translation and couldn't translate on my own. This is also the only text in the book, which is not translated to modern Japanese, so I thought I'd try my luck and ask here. Hopefully there are some people, who can speak Chinese or Japanese :)
While the first part is relatively easy to translate, I really have problems with the part after the "refuges".

回向文
南無歸命頂禮大恩教主釋迦牟尼如來。南無西方極樂世界来迎願王本師阿彌陀如来。南無六方恒沙證誠諸佛。南無平等大會一乘妙法蓮華經。南無大悲觀世音菩薩。南無大智大勢至菩薩。南無六道能化地藏菩薩。五五聖衆清淨大海衆等會。哀愍護念願以上來。至心回向。常住三寶。及極樂界。所修功徳。念佛誦經一會。白善施主。(○○) 奉回向聖靈。(戒名)(○○)靈位追善供養。佛果增進。往生極樂。上品蓮臺。無作行願。永不退轉。遊化法界。平等利益。總三界萬靈。有縁無縁。怨親平等。出離生死。頓證菩提如來大慈悲。哀愍護念。

I would be grateful if someone can help me with the translation. I know it's too much to ask for, but I would really like to understand that part and my language skills are just not good enough. :anjali:
Rael

Re: Transfer of Merit / 回向文

Post by Rael »

how can one transfer merit...
i can't read chinnese...but the idea of transfering merit??

is this a Buddhist concept i do not know about...

sounds like God's Grace to me...

don't we create our own karma and no one can change it or rid it but ourselves..
Love Love Love
Blue Garuda

Post by Blue Garuda »

Good question Rael, but perhaps not one for this thread. ;)

maybe start another about that?

The OP wants translation help, not to debate about the 'merits' of the concept of transference of merit.

Thanks. :)
Left
Rael

Post by Rael »

thanks..i have edited and pasted the post in another thread...
http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.ph ... 2524&start" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
if you wish to edit everything out except for the OP...by all means....
Love Love Love
Kaji

Post by Kaji »

It has been quite some time since your post. Do you still want help in translating the text?
Tatsuo wrote:I've got a question about the translation of following text for tranference of merit. I've been searching the net for months now and have not found any help for translation of this text. I've bought a chanting book (Tendaishū) some while ago and this is the only text i couldn't find in English translation and couldn't translate on my own. This is also the only text in the book, which is not translated to modern Japanese, so I thought I'd try my luck and ask here. Hopefully there are some people, who can speak Chinese or Japanese :)
While the first part is relatively easy to translate, I really have problems with the part after the "refuges".

回向文
南無歸命頂禮大恩教主釋迦牟尼如來。南無西方極樂世界来迎願王本師阿彌陀如来。南無六方恒沙證誠諸佛。南無平等大會一乘妙法蓮華經。南無大悲觀世音菩薩。南無大智大勢至菩薩。南無六道能化地藏菩薩。五五聖衆清淨大海衆等會。哀愍護念願以上來。至心回向。常住三寶。及極樂界。所修功徳。念佛誦經一會。白善施主。(○○) 奉回向聖靈。(戒名)(○○)靈位追善供養。佛果增進。往生極樂。上品蓮臺。無作行願。永不退轉。遊化法界。平等利益。總三界萬靈。有縁無縁。怨親平等。出離生死。頓證菩提如來大慈悲。哀愍護念。

I would be grateful if someone can help me with the translation. I know it's too much to ask for, but I would really like to understand that part and my language skills are just not good enough. :anjali:
Namas triya-dhvikānāṃ sarva tathāgatānām!
Seishin
Former staff member

Post by Seishin »

Namo Shakyamuni Tathagata, Great trust worthy one.
Namo Amitabha, trust worthy one of the Joyful World.
Namo Various Buddhas in the Six Directions.
Namo Lotus Sutra, the One Vehicle Sutra.
Namo Avalokitesvara, Great Compassionate Bodhisattva.
Namo Mahasthamaprapta Bodhisattva, Great Wisdom Bodhisattva
Namo Ksitigarbha Bodhisattva, Saviour of the Six Realm World
Sacred sentient beings in the Great Ocean (of life and death), Buddhas, bless and protect us.

From the bottom of my heart I transfer the merit to the Eternally Dwelling Triple Gem.
Joyful World. Virtue of Practice. Reciting the Sutra mindfully.
(OO)
On behalf of (posthumous name) I sincerely devote myself to the Sacred Spirit.
(OO)
For the sake of receiving the blessed fruit of the Buddha, I worship the Sacred Spirit
And attain the Joyful World of Amitabha who resides on the upper Lotus Petal,
Vow beyond birth and death, eternally non retrogressed, bring joy to the dharma world, benefiting all the spirits in the triple world equally. Related nor non related. Equality of both opponent nor non opponent, getting rid of birth and death, quickly attain Enlightenment through the bliss of Great Compassion. Bless and protect us.

Hope that helps.
In gassho,
Seishin

Return to “Language”