Evicting an Asura

Discuss the application of the Dharma to situations of social, political, environmental and economic suffering and injustice.
Seishin
Former staff member

Re: Evicting an Asura

Post by Seishin »

In Theravada they chant the Paritta http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... ction.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
But this is usually done with monks as well as lay.

You may also like to get a Fudo Myoo statue and ask for him to help remove this obstacle. I also find sandlewood incense to be very cleansing.

Gassho,
Seishin.
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

I would recommend inviting a Tibetan Lama in to do an appropriate puja. If that's not possible, any Tantric/Vajrayana practitioner who has demonstrably accomplished mantra siddhi. IME, the issue is power, i.e., having the power to make mantra and puja work as intended. Within Tibetan Buddhism, there are all sorts of pujas and practices for dealing with the eight classes of spirits. But you need someone with real power. Otherwise, you might make the situation worse.

When Trisong Deutsen was trying to establish Buddhism in Tibet, He first invited the monk Shantirakshita. However, although Shatirakshita was a pure monk and a great scholar, He didin't have the power to overcome the demons of Tibet. So He then told Trisong Deutsen to invite the Tantrika Padmasmabhava to Tibet, that Padmasambhava had the kind of power necessary to deal with these demons. Trisong Deutsen did this and the rest is history.

:namaste:
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
Son

Post by Son »

pemachophel wrote:I would recommend inviting a Tibetan Lama in to do an appropriate puja. If that's not possible, any Tantric/Vajrayana practitioner who has demonstrably accomplished mantra siddhi. IME, the issue is power, i.e., having the power to make mantra and puja work as intended. Within Tibetan Buddhism, there are all sorts of pujas and practices for dealing with the eight classes of spirits. But you need someone with real power. Otherwise, you might make the situation worse.
Many people have some degree of power, and I have been study my own power for a long time, esoterically. Although there is no chance of getting a lama to come. I am especially talented at using the power of others around me, and for this reason I will include them. Wisdom is key and power is the door. What do you mean by eight classes of spirits?
When Trisong Deutsen was trying to establish Buddhism in Tibet, He first invited the monk Shantirakshita. However, although Shatirakshita was a pure monk and a great scholar, He didin't have the power to overcome the demons of Tibet. So He then told Trisong Deutsen to invite the Tantrika Padmasmabhava to Tibet, that Padmasambhava had the kind of power necessary to deal with these demons. Trisong Deutsen did this and the rest is history.

:namaste:
These Tibetan demons, are they referring to asuras, or is this demons like "spirits," for example. I'm very curious about that knowledge, and the "eight classes" you mentioned. Also, I should point out I have affinity for dealing with "demons," as we call them in my circle, or bodily spirits in other words. These are utterly irrelevant from asuras, of course--asuras being living beings with their own consciousness and physical form.
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

The eight classes of spirits are a Tibetan Buddhist classification of disincarnate beings who may interact with humans. Some of the spirits which fall into these eight classes include asuras when seen from the POV of the six realms. Others are devas, and yet others are pretas. Some are even "animals," as in the case of Nagas. I recommend you google "the eight classes of spirits" and see what you come up with. This is Demonology 101 in Tibetan Buddhism. :namaste:
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
Son

Post by Son »

pemachophel wrote:The eight classes of spirits are a Tibetan Buddhist classification of disincarnate beings who may interact with humans. Some of the spirits which fall into these eight classes include asuras when seen from the POV of the six realms. Others are devas, and yet others are pretas. Some are even "animals," as in the case of Nagas. I recommend you google "the eight classes of spirits" and see what you come up with. This is Demonology 101 in Tibetan Buddhism. :namaste:
I have searched before with little success, but here is this to help:

1. hla [or lha] devas general devas?
2. ging attendants, musicians and dancers gandabbhas, a type of deva (the first class is deva?)
3. sadag [genii, titans or guardians of 'upper' realms ], titan is usually used to refer to asura, but asuras are not the guardians of upper realms, so what IS this class?
4. Maras: creators of obstacles, Mara and Yama etc. are devas I am familiar with, so I think I understand this class...?
Klesha who embodies passion,
Yama who is death,
Skandha who is war,
Rahula Ganapati, the ''Godly Son," who is adversity or obstacle

5. tsen earth-spirits referring to the devas that live upon earth, I've studied and observed them...?
6. nyen or rakshasa elementals, demons asuras? as raksha is usually interchangeable with asura.
7. mamo ogres garudas...???
8. lu or nagas nagas, the serpent dragons.

This reminds me of the original classification of four types of devas (musicians, animal-devas, garudas, and dragons) some of which are asuras. I've witnessed these sorts of devas and have realized that the classification is very general, and for good reason.
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

The final, eighth chapter of the Shurangama Sutra is devoted to outlining the many forms of demonic forces. Master Hsuan Hua's commentary is included:

http://online.sfsu.edu/%7Erone/Buddhism ... screen.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
May all seek, find & follow the Path of Buddhas.
y1010

Post by y1010 »

Son,
how is the situation?
Is the Asura gone and if so how did you do it, if I may ask.
remm

Post by remm »

Not sure if this is relevant anymore, but your best bet is to recite the Great Compassion Mantra very sincerely. You will need to recite it 108 times daily before an image of the Thousand Hands, Thousand Eyes Guan Yin Bodhisattva. Within the Dharani Sutra it says, "我若向修羅, 惡心自調伏 (If I encounter asuras, their hatred shall subside)."

Before reciting the Great Compassion Mantra you should recite the vows of Guan-Yin Bodhisattva. The method is done within the (千手千眼大悲懺法) Qian Shou Qian Yan Da Bei Chan Fa.
Kneel before the image of Guan-Yin Bodhisattva and recite "Namo Qian Shou Qian Da Ci Da Bei Guan Sh Yin Zi Zai Pu Sa Mo He Sa" 3 times and proceed to reciting the vows of Guan-Yin Bodhisattva. Afterwards recite the name of Guan Yin Bodhisattva 10x along with his teacher Amitabha Buddha 10x. You will then proceed to reciting the mantra 108 times and dedicate the merit to whatever being is in your household. You can also plead with Guan Yin Bodhisattva after and pray for the safety of you and your family.

Return to “Engaged Buddhism”