Open office mantra letters

Looking for translations, or for help with translations and transliterations? This is the place.
Tssrt

Open office mantra letters

Post by Tssrt »

Hey so i am transcribing a tibetan text into open office and I use the settings as described on http://www.digitaltibetan.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. The only thing I cant find manuals for is how to write special letters, like they are sometimes in Mantras. I mean for example letters "the oher way round" and stuff like that. Hope someone can help me.
kirtu
Former staff member

Re: Open office mantra letters

Post by kirtu »

It depends solely on the font or fonts that you are using. Tibetan Machine Uni seems to have everything I have seen in sadhanas. Since you are using Open Office, one way to select the glyph initially is to go to Insert -> Special Character and select it directly. This is a bit laborious though.

The writeup at digitaltibetan.org says to use Chris Fynn's Jomolhari as the primary Tibetan font but he does not include very many special symbols that one can see in sadhanas (he seems to be more oriented toward just the Tibetan itself). You might ask him what he uses for these other symbols (maybe he has another Jomolhari font for these symbols).

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche

Return to “Language”