Best meditation for my circumstance? Maybe someone can help?

Discussion of meditation in the Mahayana and Vajrayana traditions.
vajrahorizon

Best meditation for my circumstance? Maybe someone can help?

Post by vajrahorizon »

Deal All,

Here is my circumstance. I'm going through a third divorce to a woman I loved very much. She left me as I have an autoimmune condition which causes me chronic pain, depression, and makes me look pretty ugly as well.

I am a lot of pain and life looks pretty bleak most of the time. My father committed suicide and I feel very lost to.

Any advice on practices would be most appreciated.

VH
Jesse

Re: Best meditation for my circumstance? Maybe someone can help?

Post by Jesse »

Help other people.
Thus shall ye think of all this fleeting world:
A star at dawn, a bubble in a stream;
A flash of lightning in a summer cloud,
A flickering lamp, a phantom, and a dream.
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

You should definitely do long life practice and you must visit a doctor of Tibetan medicine.

We can face hard times but we must keep a positive attitude. Life is precious and rare, especially in the human realm. Now is the time to make the most of it. Also, stay active and walk or exercize outdoors every day.

Kevin
Mal

Post by Mal »

I found "Full Catastrophe Living" by Kabat -Zinn very useful - he uses Buddhist meditation techniques to help people live with the kind of conditions you suffer from. Cured me of a chronic sinus headache, and helps me deal with tinnitus. I'm also a lot more upbeat. I also admire the writings of certain Tibetan monks - Ricard's "Happiness" might be a good starting point for you, I found it very helpful.
Lotus108

Post by Lotus108 »

I'm sorry you are suffering so much. Chronic pain and loss are very, very challenging teachers. I would definitely second the Kabat-Zin recommendation. Also, do you have a teacher who you could speak to, and who could recommend specific practices?

I would also agree with the suggestion to help others. When life seems unbearable, and you feel you have nothing to give, extending a helping hand can seem a big ask, but quickly becomes a joy. If you are housebound, online forums may work for you, for example. But it is also helpful to be amongst others, to connect. And remember that generating the wish to be able to help others can be powerfully positive.

May you be peaceful, and free from pain. :namaste:
lobster

Post by lobster »

Any advice on practices would be most appreciated.
All of them.
Do everything you can, as often as possible.
Yudron

Post by Yudron »

I looked back over other posts that you have made recently to get a sense of your background. I noted about a month ago you were thinking about taking refuge as a Buddhist formally after 30 years of uncommitted involvement in the Dharma. If you haven't done it already, I would really recommend it.

You are at a critical point in this life. This making of a connection -- like a lifeline -- with the Triple Gems could be a critical right of passage. Here you are... the whole process of seeking what you want and trying to avoid what you don't want is coming apart at the seams. This is the time of Buddha. But, you already know that.

Refuge is like butter. It makes any practice you do be richer and taste better. Why? Because you are not holding back with part of your mind uncommitted.
chokyi lodro

Post by chokyi lodro »

Might I recommend Tong len too?

In appreciating/experiencing the pain of others, our own pain becomes somehow easier to experience.
~ Chökyi Lodrö
Tiger

Post by Tiger »

Sorry for suggesting a Theravada method in a Mahayana forum, but Metta meditation would not only be easy for you to do but also reap benefits faster. If you shower kindness towards every being that you encounter (human, animal, bird, insect etc) while walking by the street, then your mind will be filled with good thoughts. You dont need to prepare a cushion, set specific time and sit on lotus posture (although these will only add to the benefits) to practice this.
Namo Amitabha Buddha
Konchog1

Post by Konchog1 »

Tonglen to generate Bodhicitta.

It's helped a lot with my depression.

Also, it cures diseases.
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats
lisehull

Post by lisehull »

Konchog1 wrote:Tonglen to generate Bodhicitta.

It's helped a lot with my depression.

Also, it cures diseases.
Hello Konchog. I am suffering from depression. How has doing tonglen helped you?
:thanks:
Lise
catmoon
Former staff member

Post by catmoon »

I don't do much tong len but it do get some metta meditation in. The advantage of either is that they both get you outside of your own concerns for a while.

All forms of meditation that I have tried increase mindfulness which gives the practioner a chance to observe the internal mental disturbances as they arise and choose new mental directions. I wouldn't call it a cure but it's a substantial help.
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
muni

Post by muni »

Oh yes! Then just some simple words I maybe can add:

If we identify us with physical pain, the pain becomes stronger, harder and we helpless are lost in it. We are lost in the thoughts about which are having effects on our breath and our whole condition.
Therefore thoughts are like wind, pain is not ours but like a storm or so. Don't fixate on thoughts, don't get stuck in thoughts, remain out painful thoughts/painful feelings; watch all of them like not yours from a bit distance.
The thoughts who get no attention by being involved in them, will lose their power, vanish. This is helping in compassion to own being. :smile:

You can also visualize the pain as a suffering child and embrace it warmly; say eventually don't worry, I am here. Same for sadness, we comfort by love the sad child within us. See what happens then: sad shivering being, now vanished in comfortable warm sunshine.

Then pain can also be an exercise in empathy, compassion, knowing other beings are suffering in same way. Some are in poor countries, having no medicines and no care, are possible abandonned by their family and have even no good food.
A prayer: may by this experienced pain, others' pain be less.

Make others happy. :smile:

Pain can be a strong reminder to practice genuinely Dharma.

It is all impermanent, but when we wish the pain goes away, then we suffer from that hope right now. It will pass, sure.
Don't identify; simple words, great release.

Warmth. :anjali:
muni

Post by muni »

Vajrahorizon, regarding calm aware of pain and pleasure and further meditation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3H5Jufpm ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SD00sNYi ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:namaste:
lobster

Post by lobster »

All forms of meditation that I have tried increase mindfulness which gives the practioner a chance to observe the internal mental disturbances as they arise and choose new mental directions. I wouldn't call it a cure but it's a substantial help.
Pain . . . don't you just luv it?
No? :consoling:

Then . . take it . . . transform it . . .
Share the transformation. :thanks:

You want a list of my ailments and difficulties? :jawdrop:

http://www.dharma-haven.org/tibetan/meditation.htm
muni

Post by muni »

How people offer help! :namaste:

Also one should not be too hard and have compassion for the body, the mind in torments. Therefore a doctor, a kind ear to talk to, a warm heart should never be underestimated!

Since in waves of strong pain in which the body is experienced as "me" and in waves of sadness in which the thinking mind is seen as "me", it is not so easy to come out by pushing oneself to be a great meditator like people use to say: come on, grow up...since that is ego as well. Macho ego, no wisdom. :tongue:

Like is said here, remain mindful, then that mindfulness itself sees that the pain and sadness are growing in thoughts, getting power there. Remain mindfulness itself, not thought is there been thaught. Two cents I share. The meditation by Mingyur Rinpoche is a daily help.

Thoughts are clouds, the mindfulness is peaceful sky - space. :anjali:

May no body, no mind suffer. May all have the fortune to meet a good guiding teacher.

Here some info about calm abiding. http://www.plotinus.com/zhine_tibetan_d ... a_copy.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Meditation”