List of Nichiren Shoshu Highpriests

noisemonkey

Re: List of Nichiren Shoshu Highpriests

Post by noisemonkey »

The san san kudo also illustrates the disciples directly serving the Daishonin, sake is served to the High Priest during the ceremony which lasts at least 90 minutes. I saw it once back in 2007, very precise in every movement and action.
ananda

Post by ananda »

noisemonkey wrote:No probs. That is during the San san kudo part of the Oeshiki celebrations : Prayers are offered to the Dai-Gohonzon. In the evening, the Oneri rite is performed. A slow procession of the priests, representing the advent of Nichiren Daishonin, suddenly comes to a halt when it arrives in front of the Mieido Temple. A bell is struck seven, five, and then three times, as six priests run out to greet the High Priest, bowing reverently. This performance symbolizes the disciples asking the True Buddha to enter the temple to expound the Law.

The procession then moves west around the Mieido and enters from the rear. This is done because Nichiren Daishonin is assumed, in this ceremony, to dwell eternally at the Mieido to elucidate True Buddhism. The lay members enter as guests at the front entrance.

After entering the hall, the High Priest takes a seat facing north on an elevated pulpit, the jogyo-za (Bodhisattva Jogyo's seat). He represents Bodhisattva Jogyo, whose emergence from the earth is described in the Yujutsu (fifteenth) chapter of the Lotus Sutra.

A priest then asks the High Priest to take the seat of the Buddha. After the High Priest takes his new seat, he burns ceremonial incense and begins his sermon of the Juryo chapter of the Lotus Sutra. The High Priest's performance in this ritual symbolizes the Daishonin's revelation that Nam-Myoho-Renge-Kyo is the essence contained in the depths of the Juryo chapter.

Shortly after the sermon, the san san kudo ceremony is served to the High Priest and six senior priests by six attending priests. (Literally, san san kudo means three times three equals nine.) This is an ancient ceremony in Japanese tradition performed to celebrate a happy event. In this ceremony, the san san kudo serves as a gesture to congratulate the Daishonin and his six main disciples, securing the bond between master and disciples. This ritual concludes the first day.
You mentioned that priests only have to stay celibate for a period of time does the same apply to the Highpriest ?
"Suffer what there is to suffer, enjoy what there is to enjoy. Regard both suffering and joy as facts of life, and continue chanting Namu-myoho-renge-kyo. no matter what happens. How could this be anything other than the boundless joy of the Law? Strengthen your power of faith more than ever." - Nichiren Daishonin
noisemonkey

Post by noisemonkey »

Nikken Shonin is married (67th High priest) and as far as I know so is Nichinyo Shonin. I
ananda

Post by ananda »

noisemonkey wrote:Nikken Shonin is married (67th High priest) and as far as I know so is Nichinyo Shonin. I
I think I'm going to call it quits for the night. If you have any extra information to add in response to any of my previously asked questions then please do so whenever you can. Thank you for the responses ! .
"Suffer what there is to suffer, enjoy what there is to enjoy. Regard both suffering and joy as facts of life, and continue chanting Namu-myoho-renge-kyo. no matter what happens. How could this be anything other than the boundless joy of the Law? Strengthen your power of faith more than ever." - Nichiren Daishonin
noisemonkey

Post by noisemonkey »

I'm having a dig around some study material and asking friends about the cranes and other stuff. I'll let you know :) sleep well
ananda

Post by ananda »

noisemonkey wrote:I'm having a dig around some study material and asking friends about the cranes and other stuff. I'll let you know :) sleep well
I also have another question that you can add to your research. In history so far which Highpriest has visited the most foreign countries ? And how many foreign countries did that Highpriest visit ? Which countries did he visit ?
noisemonkey

Post by noisemonkey »

Probably Nikken Shonin as he would have visited all the countries with temples outside of Japan since 1991. He would have visited USA, Philippines, Taiwan, Singapore, France, Spain, Ghana, Panama, Argentina, Indonesia, Sri Lanka
noisemonkey

Post by noisemonkey »

Recently about one temple is being founded per year so Nichinyo Shonin has also visited a few.

Return to “Nichiren”