Concept Formation

A forum for those wishing to discuss Buddhist history and teachings in the Western academic manner, referencing appropriate sources.
joda

Concept Formation

Post by joda »

Hello,

I'm looking for (electronically accessible) texts concerning buddhist theory of concept formation.
I have Dunnes paper, Ratnakirtis Apohasiddhi and apparently somewhere some snippets of Dignaga, which seem to touch the topic more or less. Are there any other, maybe earlier, texts (specfically) dealing with formation of concepts?

cu

joda
Greg

Re: Concept Formation

Post by Greg »

joda wrote:Hello,

I'm looking for (electronically accessible) texts concerning buddhist theory of concept formation.
I have Dunnes paper, Ratnakirtis Apohasiddhi and apparently somewhere some snippets of Dignaga, which seem to touch the topic more or less. Are there any other, maybe earlier, texts (specfically) dealing with formation of concepts?

cu

joda
Nice little article: "Perceptual Experience and Concepts in Classical Indian Philosophy"
http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/perception-india/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is right on topic:

"Concepts, Intention, and Identity in Tibetan Philosophy of Language" by Jonathan Stoltz. Journal of the International Association of Buddhist Studies Volume 29 • Number 2 • 2006 (2008) pp. 383–400

Worth a look:

"Sakya Pandita and the Status of Concepts" by Jonathan Stoltz. Philosophy East & West Volume 56, Number 4 October 2006 567–582

I'm not familiar with all this material so I can't vouch for it, but you could try:

Concept and Reality in Early Buddhist Thought by Bhikkhu Nanananda.

I can provide you with any and all of these electronically if you have trouble finding.
Greg

Post by Greg »

I've also been reading Apoha: Buddhist Nominalism and Human Cognition by Mark Siderits, Tom Tillemans and Arindam Chakrabarti - well worth picking up.
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

This piece, in my opinion, is very important. It is from a Theravadin perspective, written by someone with a very deep understanding of Abihdhamma. It may not be exactly what your looking for, but I it is still worth the read... without a doubt.

http://www.abhidhamma.org/sujin3.htm

Kevin
joda

Post by joda »

I was actually interested in the technicalities, so Abhidharma pov sounds good to me.
Thank you both :].
tobes

Post by tobes »

joda wrote:I was actually interested in the technicalities, so Abhidharma pov sounds good to me.
Thank you both :].
I have read: Concept and Reality in Early Buddhist Thought by Bhikkhu Nanananda, and would definitely recommend it.

:anjali:

Return to “Academic Discussion”