subforum from promotion of books/transcripts

Offer your suggestions about how we can improve this forum to better serve our members, and tell us here about any technical problems.
JKhedrup

subforum from promotion of books/transcripts

Post by JKhedrup »

Hello,
Does anyone think it would be beneficial to have a subforum for advertisements of certain books, transcripts and dharma materials? It seems to me that some of the book threads end up being plugs for people to buy a particular teacher's book, rather than a discussion of the content.
In addition, unless people are willing to go through the effort of posting certain brief sections of the book to stimulate discussion, the thread falls flat. So my suggestion would be if outside the context of a thread on a certain topic (Say there is a thread posted by someone who wants to know about Tara and someone posts a suggestion to read Martin Wilson's book "In Praise of Tara", that's fine), and the aim of the thread is simply try to get people to buy a book, that this be done in an appropriate forum.
The other option would be for people to post regarding a certain topic in a way that makes it possible to engage in a discussion, and then add the book into the thread as an element of that. Otherwise it seems to me in many cases such threads are merely attempts to get people to buy a certain book, which I don't think is so sincere.
The situation could become akin to every student of every teacher posting event advertisements in the Tibetan Buddhism thread, which would detract from discussion and make the forum harder to navigate. That's why we have the "events" subforum.
Otherwise it is a little bit frustrating.
Andrew108

Re: subforum from promotion of books/transcripts

Post by Andrew108 »

Good idea.
The Blessed One said:

"What is the All? Simply the eye & forms, ear & sounds, nose & aromas, tongue & flavors, body & tactile sensations, intellect & ideas. This, monks, is called the All. Anyone who would say, 'Repudiating this All, I will describe another,' if questioned on what exactly might be the grounds for his statement, would be unable to explain, and furthermore, would be put to grief. Why? Because it lies beyond range." Sabba Sutta.
Dechen Norbu

Post by Dechen Norbu »

Perhaps the sub forum Book Reviews, under the Media forum could serve that purpose, no?

http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewforum.php?f=97" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JKhedrup

Post by JKhedrup »

Thanks for mentioning that DN, I didn't even know it was there.
Maybe posters need to be directed because they , like me, simply didn't notice it.
It might also help to keep discussions of a particular book on topic, while in the more general forums
the branch into so many crazy directions ;).
Dechen Norbu

Post by Dechen Norbu »

:anjali:

Return to “Suggestion Box”