tech prob

Offer your suggestions about how we can improve this forum to better serve our members, and tell us here about any technical problems.
catmoon
Former staff member

tech prob

Post by catmoon »

I am having a problem. The board seems to be executing "back" commands I have not issued. This happens two ways. Either I will be using the scroll bars to get to the top of the thread, or I will be highlighting text while composing a message, when BOOM I'm on the previous page. This is really irritating because if I am writing at the time, the message is destroyed and cannot be retrieved by refreshing.

Anyone know what's happening?
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
Thomas Amundsen

Re: tech prob

Post by Thomas Amundsen »

catmoon wrote:I am having a problem. The board seems to be executing "back" commands I have not issued. This happens two ways. Either I will be using the scroll bars to get to the top of the thread, or I will be highlighting text while composing a message, when BOOM I'm on the previous page. This is really irritating because if I am writing at the time, the message is destroyed and cannot be retrieved by refreshing.

Anyone know what's happening?
For starters, what browser are you using?
catmoon
Former staff member

Post by catmoon »

Internet Explorer 9. Windows 7. i7 machine by Certified Data.
Thomas Amundsen

catmoon wrote:Internet Explorer 9. Windows 7. i7 machine by Certified Data.
K. Honestly, I don't know. But given that setup, I'd recommend rebooting. If that doesn't fix it, you could consider using Firefox or Chrome. Sorry, not much help.

I do know that sometimes the backspace key can get mapped to navigating back; but I've never heard about scrolling or highlighting causing that. Is it possible that your keyboard is malfunctioning and sending keypresses to your machine that you're not doing? Do you see anything else weird like that going on?
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

tomamundsen wrote:I do know that sometimes the backspace key can get mapped to navigating back;
How do you "unmap" that function?
:namaste:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Thomas Amundsen

gregkavarnos wrote:
tomamundsen wrote:I do know that sometimes the backspace key can get mapped to navigating back;
How do you "unmap" that function?
In firefox go to about:config. Look for preference name "browser.backspace_action" and set its value to 2.

Not sure how to do it in IE, but I could look into if needed.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Well, hate to be a pain in the ass but I use IE and Chrome! :tongue:

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
catmoon
Former staff member

Post by catmoon »

Hmmmm I'm currently using this Microsoft keyboard and it does have extra keys and is supposed to be used with an extensive mouse/keyboard software package, since deleted because it messed up my non-MS mouse.

I also use a program called X-mouse that can remap mouse functions for gaming purposes. Hrm.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Well, mice and cats, like oil and water really! :tongue:

viniketa

Post by viniketa »

catmoon wrote:Hmmmm I'm currently using this Microsoft keyboard and it does have extra keys and is supposed to be used with an extensive mouse/keyboard software package, since deleted because it messed up my non-MS mouse.

I also use a program called X-mouse that can remap mouse functions for gaming purposes. Hrm.
As to the first, even though deleted the pkg could leave functions & hotkeys behind. To the second, check your settings.

I use wireless kbd & mouse; I get strange actions you described sometimes when batteries are dying...

If they can sever like and dislike, along with greed, anger, and delusion, regardless of their difference in nature, they will all accomplish the Buddha Path.. ~ Sutra of Complete Enlightenment
chokyi lodro

Post by chokyi lodro »

A simple solution, which friends of mine use:

When you want to reply, simply compose the post in another program, e.g. Word, or Notepad.

This also has the advantage of making you focus much more on the post, and I find sometimes encourages me to be kinder or more thoughtful in my replies.

As to the cause, I don't know, but some computers allow for "gestures" to be made with the mouse, which can also make the browser go back one step in the viewing history. Either way moving to another window for composition stops one losing the post.
~ Chökyi Lodrö
catmoon
Former staff member

Post by catmoon »

Aha I will definitely be looking up mouse gestures. Not something I had thought of!

I'm also trying compatibiity view to see how that works. It made me relog for starters.

Return to “Suggestion Box”