Shasta Abbey Introductory Retreat Schedule

Here we can publicise upcoming dharma events (talks, retreats, webcasts, etc).
Sara H

Shasta Abbey Introductory Retreat Schedule

Post by Sara H »

From Shasta Abbey's website:
http://www.shastaabbey.org/visiting-introductory.html
Introductory Retreats
Introductory Retreats begin to provide some answers to the questions that bring us to Buddhist practice. These retreats offer guests new to Shasta Abbey an introduction to the Serene Reflection (Soto Zen) practice in a monastic setting. They provide down-to-earth suggestions for taking this practice into one's daily life outside the monastery gates. Within the monastic schedule, and in silence as much as possible, Introductory Retreats offer meditation instruction, short periods of seated meditation, Dharma talks and informal discussions with time for your questions. There is also the opportunity for private spiritual counseling.

At an Introductory Retreat you will likely share a room. A tour of the monastery is given at the start of the retreat. If you are coming to stay at Shasta Abbey for the first time or are new to our practice, we ask that you attend an Introductory Retreat before signing up for any of the other retreats on our schedule. Please complete the online Retreat Application Form or download the application form in pdf and return it by mail, fax, or email. Should you have any questions please contact the Guestmaster or see the frequently asked questions (FAQs) page that might answer some of your questions or concerns. For more information on all upcoming retreats, please go to the Calendar.

Orientation to Shasta Abbey Retreats

We ask that those coming to an Introductory Retreat to arrive between 1:30 and 3:00 p.m.

Typical Introductory Retreat Schedule

2012 Introductory Retreat Date
November 16 - 18, 2012

2013 Introductory Retreat Dates
February 8 - 10, 2012
March 1 - 3, 2012
April 12 - 14, 2012
May 31 - June 2, 2012
July 16 - 21, 2012 Introduction to Serene Reflection Meditation Retreat
August 2 - 4, 2012
October 18 - 20, 2012
November 15 - 17, 2012
About Shasta Abbey:
http://www.shastaabbey.org/about.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Shasta Abbey, located on 16 forested acres near Mount Shasta in Northern California (USA), is a training monastery for Buddhist monks and a place of practice for lay Buddhists and interested visitors. A monastery of the Order of Buddhist Contemplatives, it was established in 1970 by Rev. Master Jiyu-Kennett, a British woman, on behalf of her teacher, Keido Chisan Koho Zenji, her Master in Japan. In November 1969, Rev. Master Jiyu-Kennett came to San Francisco on a lecture tour and stayed on in the United States to establish Shasta Abbey the following year. Rev. Master Jiyu-Kennett served twenty-six years as Abbess and spiritual director of Shasta Abbey, ordaining and teaching monks and lay people...
The Current Abbess is Rev. Master Meian Elbert.

Shasta Abbey is located outside of Mount Shasta City, in northern California just off of I-5 about an hour south of Ashland Oregon, and about 45 minutes north of Redding CA.
There is Amtrak access via Weed CA, which is the next town immediately south of Mt. Shasta. I believe you can make arrangements regarding pickup from the train station through the guest office.

Mailing Address
Shasta Abbey
Attention: Guestmaster
3724 Summit Drive
Mount Shasta, CA 96067-9102
USA

Phone: 530-926-4208 Extension 305
Fax: 530-926-0428
Email: [email protected]
Website with all information: http://www.shastaabbey.org

In Gassho,

Sara H
Last edited by Sara H on Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Observing your mind is a good idea.
Sara H

November 16 – 18 Introductory Retreat

Post by Sara H »

http://www.shastaabbey.org/calendar-retreats.html

What is Serene Reflection Meditation? And how is it helpful in meeting the demands of daily life? How important is it in the practice of Buddhism? An Introductory Retreat introduces guests new to Shasta Abbey to the Serene Reflection (Soto Zen) practice in a monastic setting. It provides down-to-earth help for taking this practice back into daily life outside the monastery gates. Within the monastic schedule, and in silence as much as possible, Introductory Retreats offer meditation instruction, short periods of seated meditation, Dharma Talks and informal discussions with time for questions. The retreat concludes with an informal tea for retreat guests, monks and our local congregation.
In Gassho,

Sara H
deepbluehum

Re: Shasta Abbey Introductory Retreat Schedule

Post by deepbluehum »

I love Mt. Shasta. My folks have a house in Siskiyou County with a view of it. It's so magical.
JKhedrup

Post by JKhedrup »

I think it is really interesting what Rev. Jiyu-Kennet did to try and reconcile the very culturally different worlds of Japanese Zen and the West.
How many ordained monastics stay at the abbey?
It seems people are able to remain in the community and their vows for a long time which provides a wonderful stability you don't see in many Western monastic communities.
Sara H

Post by Sara H »

deepbluehum wrote:I love Mt. Shasta. My folks have a house in Siskiyou County with a view of it. It's so magical.
It is Beautiful isn't it? I just love the views from the town.

In Gassho,

Sara H
JKhedrup wrote:I think it is really interesting what Rev. Jiyu-Kennet did to try and reconcile the very culturally different worlds of Japanese Zen and the West.
How many ordained monastics stay at the abbey?
It seems people are able to remain in the community and their vows for a long time which provides a wonderful stability you don't see in many Western monastic communities.
I haven't been there in a bit, so I don't know where they're currently at, but it seems like it fluctuates between about 26 to 53 or thereabouts.

Depending on who's living there, and how many juniors there are, and which transmitted monks stay there or move around to other temples, and so forth.

I do get a sense of stability there with people's training.

In Gassho,

Sara H

Return to “Dharma Events”