Ajikan (moon disk meditation)

Seishin
Former staff member

Ajikan (moon disk meditation)

Post by Seishin »

In our small group we have been practising a form of Ajikan. I understand that there are many forms of Ajikan but I was wondering how prevalent Ajikan is in Tendai?

Gassho,
Seishin.
DGA
Former staff member

Re: Ajikan (moon disk meditation)

Post by DGA »

I've had different answers to this question. I've practiced it on retreat at Tendai Buddhist Institute more than once, but I'm not sure when how or under what circumstances (by whom) it is practiced in Japan today.
Seishin
Former staff member

Post by Seishin »

Hmm, maybe it is just our lineage :shrug:
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

To clarify my earlier post: I know it's practiced, but I don't know how frequently it is practiced, or by whom. more by PM.
Seishin
Former staff member

Post by Seishin »

Thanks for the clarification. :smile:
jikai

Post by jikai »

Hi Seishin,
We have practiced it at the Hawaii Betsuin as well, although I cant say it we have done it too often. Having said that, it is certainly a mainstream Tendai practice.
Gassho
Jikai
"止觀明靜前代未聞"
(摩訶止觀)

"此妙法蓮花經者本地甚深之奧藏也"
( 法華玄義)

"觀心者空觀是般若假觀是解脫中觀是法身"
(法華文句)
rory

Post by rory »

Ajikan is a common esoteric practice, going back to Vajrayana in India and probably further. I suggest you read Richard Payne's "Ajikan; Ritual and Meditation in the Shingon Tradition." found in "Revisioning Kamakura Buddhism" it's pretty old 1998 but a good place to start. You might find the later "Tantric Buddhism in East Asia" 2005 ed. Richard K Payne helpful in understanding tantra and its place in Buddhism.
If I remember correctly Rev. Eijo said with a tone of disapproval Shingon shu were teaching Ajikan to laypeople, but who knows that was years ago over at e-sangha. Things may have changed.
ah here I found a link to Komyo-in the Shingon Shingi temple in france & ajikan
ttp://komyoin.free.fr/komyo-site/francais/pratiques/kan/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
gassho
rory
Namu Kanzeon Bosatsu
Chih-I:
The Tai-ching states "the women in the realms of Mara, Sakra and Brahma all neither abandoned ( their old) bodies nor received (new) bodies. They all received buddhahood with their current bodies (genshin)" Thus these verses state that the dharma nature is like a great ocean. No right or wrong is preached (within it) Ordinary people and sages are equal, without superiority or inferiority
Paul, Groner "The Lotus Sutra in Japanese Culture"eds. Tanabe p. 58
https://www.tendai-usa.org/
JKhedrup

Post by JKhedrup »

As a side comment, do you know where Rev. Eijo is these days or what he is up to? I miss that guy!
Seishin
Former staff member

Post by Seishin »

Thank you for the replies everyone and thanks for the book, I've added it to my wish list :tongue: . Good to see you again Jikai :twothumbsup:

Gassho,
Seishin.
rory

Post by rory »

You can find him as Thomas Eijo Dreitlein, he's on the faculty of Mt. Koya University.
Namu Kanzeon Bosatsu
Chih-I:
The Tai-ching states "the women in the realms of Mara, Sakra and Brahma all neither abandoned ( their old) bodies nor received (new) bodies. They all received buddhahood with their current bodies (genshin)" Thus these verses state that the dharma nature is like a great ocean. No right or wrong is preached (within it) Ordinary people and sages are equal, without superiority or inferiority
Paul, Groner "The Lotus Sutra in Japanese Culture"eds. Tanabe p. 58
https://www.tendai-usa.org/

Return to “Tendai”