Fetish.. .

Help required with personal difficulties.
GarcherLancelot

Fetish.. .

Post by GarcherLancelot »

Any idea on how to overcome it?Need to think of something of this nature before falling asleep,if not most of the time its too difficult haha.. .
DGA
Former staff member

Re: Fetish.. .

Post by DGA »

This is a question for your teacher.
GarcherLancelot

Well,I don't really have a teacher,so any general advice would be welcomed thnks.. .
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

General advice? OK, but first a question to consider...

Do your actions or intentions involve harm to anyone who is incapable of giving consent (such as children, animals, the seriously disabled...)? If so, then find a therapist who will work with you to help you stop that.

If not, then don't worry about it for now (don't build up a lot of tension around it). Why? Because you have a much bigger obstacle to your path: you don't have a teacher, which means you can't hear the Dharma. Establish a relationship with a teacher you can trust (this takes time) and then get some direct advice on the problem you're describing.

Finally, maybe you're just someone who gets off on feet or garters or furs or whatever. In the broader scheme of things, this is very small potatoes.
GarcherLancelot

It does not involve anyone else,just worried about any potential karmic consequences.. .Ok then.. .
lobster

Post by lobster »

Develop a fetish for dharma.
Try chanting yourself to fetish free sleep . . . :smile:
GarcherLancelot

Speaking of chanting,can you meditate while lying on the bed until you sleep?.. .
Lhug-Pa

Post by Lhug-Pa »

GarcherLancelot wrote:can you meditate while lying on the bed until you sleep?.. .
Yes, it's called Dream Yoga.

See books by:

Chögyal Namkhai Norbu, Geshe Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche, H.H. the Dalai Lama, Karma Lingpa, Gyurme Dorje, Vajranatha (John Myrdhin Reynolds), and Alan Wallace.

http://www.dreamyoga.com/tibetan-dream- ... -resources" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

OK. It's good to be concerned with consequences of one's actions. I'd say that unless you're venturing into Michael Hutchence / David Carradine country, this is low on the scale of concerns.

Do your best and don't worry.
GarcherLancelot

Lhug-Pa wrote:
GarcherLancelot wrote:can you meditate while lying on the bed until you sleep?.. .

See books by:

Chögyal Namkhai Norbu, Geshe Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche, H.H. the Dalai Lama, Karma Lingpa, Gyurme Dorje, Vajranatha (John Myrdhin Reynolds), and Alan Wallace.

http://www.dreamyoga.com/tibetan-dream- ... -resources" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It won;t end up with lucid dreaming or anything like that right?Because I don't want to get involve in things that may seem a bit confusing......(I am referring to meditate to sleep not dream yoga).. .
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Simple answer, have you tried physical exercise?

I have always found that mindful, focused hard exercise (I do martial arts or club swinging) is useful for getting rid of obsessive sexual thoughts, or if not getting rid of them, at least being able to let them go and leave them be. I often exercise before bed for just this reason, and for whatever psychological or physiological reasons, exercising to a point of mild muscle exhaustion never fails to temporarily calm my sexually obsessive thoughts, or to provide a bit of focus on the present moment.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Lhug-Pa

Post by Lhug-Pa »

GarcherLancelot wrote:
Lhug-Pa wrote:
See books by:
It won;t end up with lucid dreaming or anything like that right?Because I don't want to get involve in things that may seem a bit confusing......(I am referring to meditate to sleep not dream yoga).. .
From what I've learned if one is really meditating before sleep, it will naturally lead to the state of Dream Yoga. Also, the experience of authentic "Lucid Dreaming" or Dream Yoga is said to be calm and blissful, accompanied with an increase in clarity; and clarity is we could say the opposite of confusion. So I wouldn't worry, the main point is to relax.

GarcherLancelot wrote:It does not involve anyone else,just worried about any potential karmic consequences...
If you've not yet received any Empowerment or Transmissions, there are purification practices that anyone can do related Sutrayana Mahayana.
Zealot

Post by Zealot »

Though it may be embarrassing, having some more information about your fetish could certainly help. I, for instance, have a large masochistic streak. What helped me with it was seeing myself as someone other than me because for some odd reason I believed I deserved punishment but others did not. With clarity of thought I was able to see that I deserve equal love and cessation from suffering as everyone did. After that, my natural tendencies to beat myself up lessened extraordinarily and now whenever I catch myself in those thought patterns, the way out is simple and easy.

:namaste:
"My life for Aiur!" - Protoss Zealot

Return to “Help Required”