Incense Offering Mantra

Forum for discussion of East Asian Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
jmlee369

Re: Incense Offering Mantra

Post by jmlee369 »

My reasoning is more based on the mudras that followed, as I noted in my previous post. Also, althought not completely relevant, I'd just like to point out that in the past, the incense offering prayer and mantra were exclusive to the evening service and the tea offering verse was used in the mornings, but there is now trend to do away with the tea offering verse. I would think that the mantra used in the Korean services is probably OM VAJRA DHUPE AH HUM. The influence of tantric Buddhism is everywhere in East Asia.
Devotionary

Post by Devotionary »

jmlee369 wrote:My reasoning is more based on the mudras that followed, as I noted in my previous post. Also, althought not completely relevant, I'd just like to point out that in the past, the incense offering prayer and mantra were exclusive to the evening service and the tea offering verse was used in the mornings, but there is now trend to do away with the tea offering verse. I would think that the mantra used in the Korean services is probably OM VAJRA DHUPE AH HUM. The influence of tantric Buddhism is everywhere in East Asia.

So Korean Buddhism has more esoteric practices than Chinese Buddhist liturgies, then? This is interesting. Do you have any resources (in English or Chinese) about Korean esoteric practices? I'd love to know more. Thanks!
jmlee369

Post by jmlee369 »

To the contrary, I would say that Chinese Buddhism has retained far more esoteric influence in its practice. Highly esoteric practices are common place in Chinese Buddhism, such as the Yogacara Flaming Mouth ceremony, the Meng Shan Food Bestowal ceremony (the content of which forms much of the basis for ancestral veneration rites in Korean Buddhism), Avatamsaka Syllabary, the Water Land ceremony (a ceremony of the same name exists in Korea, but the one that is preserved and practised is of completely different content) and the like. Esoteric influences in Korea center around mantra practices, much like recitation of Buddha's names, rituals for the deceased, and consecration ceremonies (especially the filling of statues, which I believe is strongly influenced by Tibetan practices).
Shalara Ang

Post by Shalara Ang »

Immaterial of which part or group of Buddhist, mudra having the same translation. Mudra, is a part of Mantra recitation practise.When a mantra is read, combined with thoughts, it generate exactly 100% efficiency. hope some of the buddhist can learn these. Mudra is nice...but is not fancy. some of the mudra requested special ordaination before can practise, or else...faults the originality of mudra which means very karma faults.
Om Ah Hum...is common.so as to offering mudra.

white canopy mudra is the one with me for very very long time.

some mudra require lineage...such as..tibet...mostly reincarnate basis, that's they learned many different type of mudra. actually...they know that mudra.

for most of the buddhist, chanting is very good. be patience...mudra will come to you...when it is time for you to learn it.

all the mudra I learned and practise nowaday...one by one come back to me...even at the very beginning I only reciting mantra.

Return to “East Asian Buddhism”