Namkhas (colored-thread elemental) are they only Bon?

Malcolm

Re: Namkhas (colored-thread elemental) are they only Bon?

Post by Malcolm »

Pema Rigdzin wrote:Is it more effective to create a namkha for oneself vs. purchasing an authentic one made by others?
It doesn't matter -- the main point is that it is the correctly one for your year, and that you authenticate it and keep it in your home.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

I have the lung for this practice from ChNN and the dvd/cd and booklet set but the set does not include a practice. Where can I get the text for the authentication rite/practice?
:namaste:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

gregkavarnos wrote:I have the lung for this practice from ChNN and the dvd/cd and booklet set but the set does not include a practice. Where can I get the text for the authentication rite/practice?

It in the back of the thun book.

N
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Thank you!
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Pema Rigdzin

Post by Pema Rigdzin »

Namdrol wrote:
It doesn't matter -- the main point is that it is the correctly one for your year, and that you authenticate it and keep it in your home.
I'm assuming the necessary info to enable one to choose the correct one can be found in ChNN's namkha booklet? Also, you know where properly made namkha can be found for purchase online?

Lastly, without asking you to share anything inappropriate, could you share a little about the benefits you've experienced from your namkha?
Pema Rigdzin/Brian Pittman
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Pema Rigdzin wrote:
Namdrol wrote:
I'm assuming the necessary info to enable one to choose the correct one can be found in ChNN's namkha booklet? Also, you know where properly made namkha can be found for purchase online?

Lastly, without asking you to share anything inappropriate, could you share a little about the benefits you've experienced from your namkha?

There is a book with complete instructions for calculating ones Namkha-- there is also a computer program for Windows that works too. http://tibecal.youhost.com.ar/namkha.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

well, it brightens my shrine room considerably.

They are very cheerful and useful. DOing the practice of Namkha balances your energy. You do need to periodically re-authenticate, especially when you are having a problem.
Tssrt

Post by Tssrt »

I have also the Lung for the Namkha consecration, but just the Thun book, so just the rabne text. Could someone (maybe if neccessary private) give some more information about it? It is supposed to balance the elements? Once empowered, can you just burn the Namkha if you dont want it anymore or would that have negative effects?
Lhasa

Post by Lhasa »

I'm getting ready to construct a Namkha. And my question is how to cut the notches in the dowels. What would I need to buy to cut the notches? I don't have a lot of hand strength. And what kind of thread is best? Does thread mean thread or yarn or string or stiff crochet thread? And how much? A few things are not covered in the book, lol
Thanks
florin

Post by florin »

Lhasa wrote:I'm getting ready to construct a Namkha. And my question is how to cut the notches in the dowels. What would I need to buy to cut the notches? I don't have a lot of hand strength. And what kind of thread is best? Does thread mean thread or yarn or string or stiff crochet thread? And how much? A few things are not covered in the book, lol
Thanks
Your best bet would be embroidery thread.Dont go for anything which has elasticity or to much fluffiness to it because it will get very loose and lose its shape and some colours will sit on top of other colours.
And you would need lots of it and looooots of patience since you will inevitably make mistakes.
As to what kind of knife to use i would guess a Stanley knife or a sharp cutter would do but that also depends on the sticks you will use.
Try sticks used for staking plants which you would typically find in any garden centre.
simhanada

Post by simhanada »

alpha wrote:Lhasa wrote:
I'm getting ready to construct a Namkha. And my question is how to cut the notches in the dowels. What would I need to buy to cut the notches? I don't have a lot of hand strength. And what kind of thread is best? Does thread mean thread or yarn or string or stiff crochet thread? And how much? A few things are not covered in the book, lol
Thanks

Your best bet would be embroidery thread.Dont go for anything which has elasticity or to much fluffiness to it because it will get very loose and lose its shape and some colours will sit on top of other colours.
And you would need lots of it and looooots of patience since you will inevitably make mistakes.
As to what kind of knife to use i would guess a Stanley knife or a sharp cutter would do but that also depends on the sticks you will use.
Try sticks used for staking plants which you would typically find in any garden centre.
There are lots of different types of embroidery thread. More specifically I used some similar to these 6 ply cotton threads that you should be able to find at a crafting type store. http://www.thread-bear.co.uk/category/2 ... ery_Cotton

I'm not generally so good with crafts so just cutting the notches with a saw (and no vice) and getting them to fit snugly together was a big pain. In the future I will probably look into a way to get them precut for me and save myself a lot of of time.
florin

Post by florin »

simhanada wrote:
alpha wrote:Lhasa wrote:
Thanks

There are lots of different types of embroidery thread. More specifically I used some similar to these 6 ply cotton threads that you should be able to find at a crafting type store. http://www.thread-bear.co.uk/category/2 ... ery_Cotton

I'm not generally so good with crafts so just cutting the notches with a saw (and no vice) and getting them to fit snugly together was a big pain. In the future I will probably look into a way to get them precut for me and save myself a lot of of time.

That is exactly the thread i meant.Excellent.
Making a namkha can be a bit challenging and it takes a fair amount of time .
ngodrup

Post by ngodrup »

Is there a DC member in the San Francisco Bay Area who is good
at constructing a Namkha? I would like in-person assistance or
to have one made for me. Thanks.
Tsultrim T.

Post by Tsultrim T. »

Malcolm wrote:
JinpaRangdrol wrote:I remember watching an old documentary following an extremely elaborate Tara puja (possibly Nyingma, but definitely not Terma) in which namkhas were used to construct a mandala of sorts. I wish I remembered more about it, but it certainly seemed to be an old Tara Tantra, just judging by the complexity of the ritual.

Not a tantra, a rite called "grol ma gyul ldog" i.e. The rite of Tara for repelling Armies
Nice pictures of this puja: http://tsechen.wordpress.com/pujas/tara-repelling-rite/
krodha

Post by krodha »

ngodrup wrote:Is there a DC member in the San Francisco Bay Area who is good
at constructing a Namkha? I would like in-person assistance or
to have one made for me. Thanks.
Do you go to Dondrub Ling at all? I know there's been a Namkha workshop there before, and we just did a Namkha rite last month for someone during a group puja. If not I can probably get you in contact with someone though.
Raffy06

Post by Raffy06 »

Hi sorry to dig up an old thread. Is there anyone I clarify something with about the Namkha empowerment at the back of the Thun book? I don't understand some of the procedures.
Lukeinaz

Post by Lukeinaz »

I was applying a bit much tension in making the central rhombus and the weak central joint failed. I was able to glue it together and finish. It looks quite nice. I am now wondering if I should authenticate it or just start over?
PSM

Post by PSM »

This is very useful for making proper calculations, based on your birthday etc. : http://namkha.info/en/

Return to “Nyingma”