about Japanese Zen in Europe..

icylake

about Japanese Zen in Europe..

Post by icylake »

hi! everybody. :hi:

may i ask a question?
i'm serching for the information about zen centers in Europe for my Korean friend, who is going to france for his study for some years. he would choose Korean temple or Kwan um zen, i think. he's a ardent lay people practitoner of traditional Korean ganhwaseon, but, he is very intereted in other zen traditions also- so to speak japanese zen-, because in Korea, there is few opportunity to experince Japanese zen practice, so he wants to experience other traditions in the West. - it's funny to say, generally Asian pople only know their own traditions, the synthesis of all buddhist traditions is always in the West. :lol:
but i found that, almost all of Japanese zen centers in europe are soto zen center, so i became so curious about zen trend in Europe (or US). is Rinzai zen practitoners are much lesser than soto zen? (because when Koreans speak of Japanese zen, we always take Rinzai zen, few people consider soto zen)

thanks in advance!
floating_abu

Re: about Japanese Zen in Europe..

Post by floating_abu »

Hi icy

I think you can search Zen centers of the world and a directory would come up showing what major groups there are in Europe. I do not know about the breakdown between Soto and Rinzai groups, and personally, what works is what is good IMO. :smile: "works" is another big topic but we can leave that one for another day of course ;)

Best wishes,
Abu
icylake

Post by icylake »

floating_abu wrote:Hi icy

I do not know about the breakdown between Soto and Rinzai groups, and personally, what works is what is good IMO. :smile: "works" is another big topic but we can leave that one for another day of course ;)

Best wishes,
Abu
thank you for kind advice! true. "what works is what is good", true zen practitioner. :twothumbsup:
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Unfortunately I did not actively practice when I was living as a young adult in Europe, and now this was some time ago. But my impression from the US is that Soto Zen is mostly practiced in Western Europe. There are also many Kwan Um practitioners and often they seem to be from Poland. But Dharma in Europe has changed considerably since the early 80's. There is also Rinzai in Europe.

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche

Return to “Zen”