Piety, Filial Piety, Pietas and the Third Pure Precept

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
LastLegend

Re: Piety, Filial Piety, Pietas and the Third Pure Precept

Post by LastLegend »

Huseng wrote: http://ctext.org/liji

You find prescriptions for animal sacrifice, violence and other such gruesome behaviours. It is entirely incompatible with Buddhism.
At this point, I still don't know. I don't know Chinese and history of the text. But there seems to be a lot of contradictions that I am afraid to jump to conclusion until I am further updated.
It would be problematic to say that Confucianism has always been the mainstream ideology of China. Depending on the time period at times it was Mahāyāna Buddhism that held greater sway. After the Song Dynasty onward especially Confucianism picked up momentum again, though before that for a thousand years a lot of people in China, I imagine, had little to do with Confucian texts as they were either illiterate or just had less interest than in Buddhist works. In the Tang Dynasty the state was often more interested in Daoism than Confucianism and Buddhism. Before that for several centuries Buddhism was very mainstream at all levels of society.
This does not disprove what I said about humanism of Confucianism and Taoism was the foundation for the successful growth of Mahayana Buddhist in China. Can you offer another explanation why Mahayana has become successful in China and Vietnam but not in other countries?
It’s eye blinking.
JKhedrup

Post by JKhedrup »

Mahayana Buddhism was also greatly successful in Mongolia, Tibet, Bhutan and Nepal, countries with very little Confucian influence.
LastLegend

Post by LastLegend »

JKhedrup wrote:Mahayana Buddhism was also greatly successful in Mongolia, Tibet, Bhutan and Nepal, countries with very little Confucian influence.
Maybe they also have different teachings of humanism. In countries such as Lao, Cambodia, Burma Mahayana has not anchored well.
It’s eye blinking.
JKhedrup

Post by JKhedrup »

Maybe you could say it didn't anchor but it flourished for quite some time in Cambodia, for example.

I don't know that Tibetan culture has a philosophy similar to Confucianism within it. Certainly family is important, but it is also very important in Thailand which is a Theravada country.
LastLegend

Post by LastLegend »

JKhedrup wrote:Maybe you could say it didn't anchor but it flourished for quite some time in Cambodia, for example.

I don't know that Tibetan culture has a philosophy similar to Confucianism within it. Certainly family is important, but it is also very important in Thailand which is a Theravada country.
You have to have something to catch Mahayana. Otherwise, we have to start with the basic-5 precepts (humanism/to be a human or to be reborn as a human).
It’s eye blinking.
Sara H

Post by Sara H »

Just a reminder people that this thread is getting...
:offtopic:

*grins*

Sara H.
Observing your mind is a good idea.

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”