Tony Duff/Pema Karpo Dictionaries

Looking for translations, or for help with translations and transliterations? This is the place.
conebeckham

Tony Duff/Pema Karpo Dictionaries

Post by conebeckham »

Pema Karpo Translation Committee, Tony Duff's project, has a variety of dictionary software available.
http://us6.campaign-archive1.com/?u=370 ... 389d19d1c6

I've been pre-testing the Illuminator, for some time, on my iPhone and iPad, and it's now available, as are many of the other dictionaries and software above, for Apple ios. I'm finding the Illuminator to be a valuable tool, and a resource--and it's by far the easiest-to-use Tibetan dictionary I've enountered, and the most "practitioner-friendly," in my opinion. I've also been checking out the Chandra Das and Geshe Chodrak dictionaries. The former is the classic, and nice to have in an Online, hypertext-enabled version. The latter is new to me, but is one of the few (only? I don't know...) Tibetan-to-Tibetan dictionaries, and is an interesting read in it's own right.

I'd recommend the Illuminator unreservedly--it's the most helpful tool I've yet used for translating Tibetan.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
JKhedrup

Re: Tony Duff/Pema Karpo Dictionaries

Post by JKhedrup »

I use the Illuminator when I want some background for the words I am looking up. Tony Duff really knows his dharma and often explains the contexts of words, sometimes even according to different points of view, which is very helpful.
But my favourite is still the Tibetan Translation Tool because I am lazy and like to translate entire sentence fragments at the same time.
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

Haven't used that one, JKhedrup, but I'd like to check it out. I, too, am a lazy guy! :shrug:

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
JKhedrup

Post by JKhedrup »

Just google Tibetan Translator tool. It's shareware, the developers don't charge for it.

I did shell out for the Illuminator though and it was worth it, though I struggle over whether to purchase the extensive updates they release every now and then.
Jinzang

Post by Jinzang »

The online version of the Tibetan to English Translation Tool
"It's as plain as the nose on your face!" Dottie Primrose
futerko

Post by futerko »

Jinzang wrote:The online version of the Tibetan to English Translation Tool
comes with a free virus!
udawa

Post by udawa »

futerko wrote:
comes with a free virus!
Seriously? The online version at thlib.org?
Edwards: You are a philosopher. Dr Johnson: I have tried too in my time to be a philosopher; but, I don't know how, cheerfulness was always breaking in.
futerko

Post by futerko »

udawa wrote:
futerko wrote:
comes with a free virus!
Seriously? The online version at thlib.org?
Has a java exploit [type 1715], most virus checkers should pick it up.
Salomon

Post by Salomon »

Yes virus alert for me with Avast.
JKhedrup

Post by JKhedrup »

Sorry I never had this problem previously, it must be recent. I am glad I downloaded it ages ago!
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

JKhedrup wrote:I did shell out for the Illuminator though and it was worth it, though I struggle over whether to purchase the extensive updates they release every now and then.
I understand there was the option to buy a lifetime subscription of the Windows version. My understanding is also that the ios (Apple) version is lifetime, with Apple pushing updates through the iStore as they do for most Apps.

Yudron

Post by Yudron »

We used the Rangjyung Yeshe dictionary in retreat, using a great little program called TibThob to search it. At that time I was running it on a partitioned Windows drive on my old Mac. Since I got a new Mac I am using Parallels to run Windows and TibThob no longer works. I havent figured out how to remedy the situation yet. I have the Illuminator, but I'm generally not as fond of it.
ratna

Post by ratna »

Yudron wrote:We used the Rangjyung Yeshe dictionary in retreat, using a great little program called TibThob to search it. At that time I was running it on a partitioned Windows drive on my old Mac. Since I got a new Mac I am using Parallels to run Windows and TibThob no longer works. I havent figured out how to remedy the situation yet. I have the Illuminator, but I'm generally not as fond of it.
On the Mac, you can use the Sambhota Dictionary Search (http://www.nitartha.org/downloads.html).

R
Karma Dondrup Tashi

Post by Karma Dondrup Tashi »

Not qualified to comment on translation obviously, but I find Lama Duff's own translations and books to be awesome.
It has been the misfortune (not, as these gentlemen think it, the glory) of this age that everything is to be discussed. Edmund Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France.
Yudron

Post by Yudron »

ratna wrote:
Yudron wrote:We used the Rangjyung Yeshe dictionary in retreat, using a great little program called TibThob to search it. At that time I was running it on a partitioned Windows drive on my old Mac. Since I got a new Mac I am using Parallels to run Windows and TibThob no longer works. I haven't figured out how to remedy the situation yet. I have the Illuminator, but I'm generally not as fond of it.
On the Mac, you can use the Sambhota Dictionary Search (http://www.nitartha.org/downloads.html).

R

I just tried it. It's a PowerPC application and so does not work on recent Mac OS.
ratna

Post by ratna »

Yudron wrote:
I just tried it. It's a PowerPC application and so does not work on recent Mac OS.
It works for me on Snow Leopard, using Rosetta software for running PowerPC apps. But this is not available for Lion (10.7) or later.
Jinzang

Post by Jinzang »

Has a java exploit [type 1715], most virus checkers should pick it up
Unless I'm misunderstanding, wouldn't the problem be in the version of Java on your machines? That's where the code is running. Such exploits are a result of failures in sandboxing in Java.Are you saying the code on the site exploits such a failure?
"It's as plain as the nose on your face!" Dottie Primrose
futerko

Post by futerko »

Jinzang wrote:
Has a java exploit [type 1715], most virus checkers should pick it up
Unless I'm misunderstanding, wouldn't the problem be in the version of Java on your machines? That's where the code is running. Such exploits are a result of failures in sandboxing in Java.Are you saying the code on the site exploits such a failure?
I think so, but to be honest I'm not really sure how it works, I just do what the virus checker tells me.
Yudron

Post by Yudron »

ratna wrote:
Yudron wrote:
It works for me on Snow Leopard, using Rosetta software for running PowerPC apps. But this is not available for Lion (10.7) or later.
:(

I think I'll go back to trying to find a PC solution through Parallels. I really liked TibThob.
mañjughoṣamaṇi

Post by mañjughoṣamaṇi »

I put together a small cocoa search app (very primitive) for using the Rangjung Yeshe, and a few other dictionaries (mahavyutpatti, yogacarabhumi, tshig mdzod chen mo) once I realized the nitartha tool was no longer updated. It needs a lot of work, but feel free to grab it here and take it for a spin:

http://mahabhusuku.org/files/LocchavaSearch.zip

If you want an exact match for "rtogs pa" at this point you would type in:

"rtogs pa -"

If you want to match anything starting with "rtogs pa" you would enter that.
སེམས་རྣམ་པར་གྲོལ་བར་བྱའི་ཕྱིར་བྱམས་པ་བསྒོམ་པར་བྱའོ།
“In order to completely liberate the mind, cultivate loving kindness.” -- Maitribhāvana Sūtra

"The bottom always falls out of the quest for the elementary. The irreducibly individual recedes like the horizon, as our analysis advances." -- Genesis, Michel Serres

Return to “Language”