Tibetan Buddhist Holidays/Holy Days?

Padme

Tibetan Buddhist Holidays/Holy Days?

Post by Padme »

I wasn't sure which area to ask this, but most of my studying so far has been under the Gelug tradition. I have been searching for a Tibetan Buddhist Calendar (or list) showing Tibetan Buddhist holy days, observances, festivals, etc. Preferably something that explains activity/practice/offerings etc for each holy day but I can always search that myself if I at least have the name of the occasion. I've tried general searches online but because it's based on a Lunar calendar I am having trouble finding something simple that a relative beginner can understand. Many of the lists also include holidays for other traditions and/or other countries which adds to my confusion. I would like to either print a pre-made calendar or copy the special days into my own calendar so that I can try and catch on to and follow various observances. If anyone has a link to something along these lines, I'd most appreciate it. Thank you!
:namaste:
plwk

Re: Tibetan Buddhist Holidays/Holy Days?

Post by plwk »

Have you tried this?
Padme

Post by Padme »

plwk wrote:Have you tried this?
I have actually, but thank you. It is the best one I've found so far and I printed it out when I first found it, but I find it slightly confusing with all the "earth-water" stuff and other references. It's hard to sift through and find the basic days of observance with so many other references noted without having advanced knowledge. That may be the best thing I'll get, I do like the layout, easily printable, etc. I was hoping for something a little clearer (it may be me that's thick, lol).

Thank you! :smile:
Padme

Post by Padme »

Posting this in case anyone else has the same question as I did. I found this site which is the clearest yet as far as the holidays and their dates on our calendar versus the Tibetan calendar. This is why it was so confusing to me; the 4th month on their calendar is not April for example AND the holidays are not held on the same dates each year! This site has a basic list of special days and some of them have links with very nice detail on HOW they are celebrated, which is what I wanted to learn also. There's a couple detailed pages on Losar (Tibetan New Year) for example, a Losar alter, Losar food and celebration, rituals, etc. So here's the link if anyone else is interested. Also, if anyone knows of any other similar calendars/holiday lists for Tibetan Buddhism, I'd still like to compare.

http://www.yowangdu.com/tibetan-buddhis ... endar.html

:namaste:

Return to “Gelug”