Myth

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
plwk

Myth

Post by plwk »

Many of the traditional teachings are like myth.
They were created to help us aim very high.
Once we aim for the best, we might achieve the average.
But in fact achieving the average is actually the goal!

Myth

Does anyone know what is Rinpoche trying to convey? :thanks:
futerko

Re: Myth

Post by futerko »

I think he is suggesting that myths aim at an essential truth. Maybe he is also suggesting that the very nature of (relative) truths are constructed by narratives? As for the bit about being average, maybe he is saying that we should not aspire to be superhuman siddhas, but more the way the Buddha is portrayed as being kind, patient, and well adjusted, but still a human being. It may also hint at some of the teachings which tell us not to strive so hard at goal oriented activity, but just to relax and let whatever arises simply be. The idea that expectations can be a serious obstacle on the path.
randomseb

Post by randomseb »

Teaching parables, metaphors and various stories may not be based on actual events, but the teaching message is no less valid

Often people latch on to these as literal, and so religions spring forth based around them, and so there's a forgetting to look behind the content for the teaching.

On the other hand these religions ensure the continued existence of these teachings, sometimes for many thousands of years!
Disclaimer: If I have posted about something, then I obviously have no idea what I am talking about!
Karma Dorje

Post by Karma Dorje »

Like in archery, if your spiritual goal is a long way away you must aim higher in order to hit the mark.
"Although my view is higher than the sky, My respect for the cause and effect of actions is as fine as grains of flour."
-Padmasambhava
muni

Post by muni »

Maybe if we hold on a view of a particular teaching/practice, or strive for a goal, I think then the tool of Dharma can be mistakenly used in the way of our habits and can be merely another anchor in samsara.

The soup must digest, not the spoon. Not the extremes mouth-spoon but in the middle the soup. No holding on the silver spoon is feeding.
Same with teachings/practices for opening wisdom?

The four releances? :namaste:

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”