Saudi preacher gets fine & short jail term

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
plwk

Saudi preacher gets fine & short jail term

Post by plwk »

phpBB [video]

Public anger has gripped Saudi Arabia after a prominent preacher who raped and beat to death his 5-year-old daughter was sentenced to a few months in jail and a $50,000 fine – known as 'blood money' – to compensate the victim's relatives. More here\
uan

Re: Saudi preacher gets fine & short jail term

Post by uan »

that is just plain wrong on so many levels. Even relative to samsara.

The only thing that could push this over the top is that as one of the victim's primary relatives, he ends up paying a good chunk of the $50k to himself.

may he find some sort of redemption in this or some future life and that he finds the causes and conditions to release himself from suffering.

Though, I have to admit, it does remind of something HHDL said in a documentary I watched on the Karmapas.He would watch two insects fight and he said that while he had compassion for both, he would often root for the smaller insect, and sometimes, he would kill the larger one to save the smaller...
Huseng
Former staff member

Post by Huseng »

uan wrote: Though, I have to admit, it does remind of something HHDL said in a documentary I watched on the Karmapas.He would watch two insects fight and he said that while he had compassion for both, he would often root for the smaller insect, and sometimes, he would kill the larger one to save the smaller...
You better have proof of such statements that he kills insects.
Konchog1

Post by Konchog1 »

When the lords overlook evil acts committed in their land and to those who are unlawful, fail to mete out befitting revenge, through neglect of unlawful deeds that which is not Dharma will triumph. Conflicts and clandestine acts will befall the region over and over again. The lords of gods will be enraged in the palatial dwelling of the Thirty-Three.

[...]

It is he who effects fruition for beings in this life, for he demonstrates the ripened effects of deeds done well and wrongly done; for this reason he is called 'king'.

-Exalted Sublime Golden Light Sutra, Chapter 12
Huseng wrote:
uan wrote: Though, I have to admit, it does remind of something HHDL said in a documentary I watched on the Karmapas.He would watch two insects fight and he said that while he had compassion for both, he would often root for the smaller insect, and sometimes, he would kill the larger one to save the smaller...
Well there is this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W083nSzx1Rc
Last edited by Konchog1 on Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats
uan

Post by uan »

Huseng wrote:
Better have proof? Seems a rather confrontational way of asking for clarification. There seems to be some sort of "or else" hanging unwritten at the end of the sentence. Will I be banned or censured? Besides it's not as if the words or thoughts behind them are real, like a chair or table :lol:

Also, I didn't say he "kills" as in some active, ongoing sense. My statement was pretty clearly past-tense.

But in the interest of compassion and to set your mind at ease, HHDL himself says it. It's in the documentary: Karmapa - Two Ways of Divinity (1998). The editing was a little poor but it seems HHDL was referring to his childhood, possibly around the time he was identified as the reincarnation of DL 13. He called his compassion a little biased. He then laughed, a pretty hearty chuckle too, at the memory.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

It's cases like these that make me consider the possible benefits of chemical castration. :(

OM AMI DEWA HRI for the little girl.

OM MANI PEME HUM for her sick father.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Arnoud

Post by Arnoud »

Why just chemical? Complete removal would be best.
corrine

Post by corrine »

What possible justification is there for such a minimal punishment for a truly heinous crime? I thought rape was a totally unacceptable crime in Saudi Arabia. How did this happen?

corrine

Return to “Lounge”