Yangsi - Reincarnation is just the beginning

A place to post videos, pictures, and any other sort of Buddhist or non-Buddhist media.
kirtu
Former staff member

Yangsi - Reincarnation is just the beginning

Post by kirtu »

From the BOS (Dutch Buddhist Broadcasting Foundation) FB posting:
Imagine that you are a Tibetan child and people tell you that you were a famous Buddhist teacher in your previous life. What do you do then (or what happens then)? Find out tomorrow (Sunday) 10 February on the BOS (program?) on NL2 (a Dutch cable channel?) at 2 PM. You can click on the trailer here
The film about HH Dilgo Khyentse Yangsi has apparently been released and may be available in other sources. I have included the BOS (Dutch Buddhist Broadcasting Foundation) link because it may be available there tomorrow (or shortly thereafter). This was an ad on FB for a cable presentation or for livestreaming (don't know which).

There is also a Crestone Films channel on YouTube which has clips from the movie and interviews. There is also a website for the film: Yangsithemovie.com

Kirt

Je bent een Tibetaanse kleuter en men vertelt je dat je in je vorige leven een beroemde boeddhistische leraar bent geweest. Wat gebeurt er dan? Kijk morgen (zondag) 10 feb. naar de BOS op NL2 om 14 uur. Bekijk de trailer op http://ow.ly/htCAY
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
JKhedrup

Re: Yangsi - Reincarnation is just the beginning

Post by JKhedrup »

I enjoyed this film very much.

The humanity and humility of the Yangsi tells me he may well live up to his predecessor's reputation as he continues to study and practice. I pray all his activities manifest without obstacles.
greentara

Post by greentara »

Interesting film, Yangsi looks like a fine young man. This is an extraordinary 'honorary' role. Can we possibly agree that he has the 'potential' in him, like a seed waiting to germinate, but he is not enlightened?
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

greentara wrote:Interesting film, Yangsi looks like a fine young man. This is an extraordinary 'honorary' role. Can we possibly agree that he has the 'potential' in him, like a seed waiting to germinate, but he is not enlightened?
I haven't seen the film yet. Is it stated that this recognition was honorary? I have also not taken teaching from him but why must we agree that he is not enlightened? If he is a direct tulku of Dilgo Khyentse then I would be inclined to see him as enlightened since Dilgo Khyentse was said to be a mind incarnation of Jamyang Khyentse Wangpo (and even if he hadn't been - Dilgo Khyentse definitely attained enlightenment in his lifetime). He still needs to develop and to develop his education though.

Kirt
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."

HH Chetsang Rinpoche
philji

Post by philji »

This ' honorary' title may be green Tara's invention...I have not herd that anywhere else. He is universally accepted as the current tulku of Dilgo Khyntse Rinpoche.
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

The video is available now at the BOS website here. In English and Tibetan (not translated*), subtitled in Dutch.

A detail shown in this video is that in addition to HH Trulshik Rinpoche presiding over the enthronement cermony, HH Penor Rinpoche, HE Chogye Trichen , HH Mindroling Rinpoche and Chagdud Tulku were all also present. HH Chetsang Rinpoche may also have been there (I can't tell for sure).

Kirt

So Tsikey Rinpoche is not translated but also HH Trulshik Rinpoche talking about a clear dream indicating the rebirth is not translated. In the version for North America that will of course be subtitled. I don't know if that version will be made available anywhere soon.

HH Chetsang Rinpoche
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

I saw this at the Rubin museum and enjoyed it very much. The yangsi is very charming, and I was also favorably impressed by Rabjam Rinpoche.
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

greentara wrote:Can we possibly agree that he has the 'potential' in him, like a seed waiting to germinate, but he is not enlightened?
In the film, Dilgo Khyentse Yangsi says himself that he is not enlightened. How does he say this? He says that he has to stop being a little boy and attain enlightenment. If he is the reincarnation of the previous Dilgo Khyentse, what does this mean? Because most Tibetan Buddhist practitioners would assert that Dilgo Khyentse was enlightened.

There are several possibilities: Dilgo Khyentse was not a high tulku but was said to be a tulku who attained great awakening through his own efforts. This could imply that he was actually a bodhisattva on the lower bhumis as a bodhisattva on any of the bhumis appears to be a fully enlightened Buddha to beings not on the bhumis. Another possibility is that he is currently manifesting in a form to express and teach enlightenment to us. In this scheme he wasn't really the arrogant little boy that he said he had been for a while in the film but had manifested that in order to demonstrate imperfection and to lead beings to enlightenment.

It is not unusual for younger tulkus to manifest activity like this. In "Saint in Seattle", HE Dezhung Rinpoche says that he was basically an ordinary boy until he was about 15 years old and then he decided to get really serious about Dharma practice. After that, his life and activity unfolded.

Kirt

HH Chetsang Rinpoche
Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

yeah, on the one hand we can see it all as display. on the other, we can see that there are various explanations regarding the science of tulkus regarding this: there could have been samaya issues with students of the last Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche that caused obstacles to his full expression this time, there could have been obscurations imprinted on his emanation through the simple process of being born into a body of a particular woman's womb, and the family in general, how he was handled or treated when newly born, etc. etc. some tulkus may not even turn out to be relatively functional human beings in the conventional sense. i would guess we could hold both views: ultimately it is all display, maybe meant to show us or teach us important things through example; relatively there are these conditions that may not be optimal around the transitions of these beings that cause them (and therefore us) obstacles.
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha

Return to “Media”